Guest viewing is limited

TKR JackiFL's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw my OS on Friday. He said that all looks well (I saw the xrays) and no more PT. I'm on my own! Woohoo!

[Bonesmart.org] JackiFL's Recovery Thread
 
Way to go Jacki , I actually remember your very first thread. I was amazed that you were going to have a bilateral, Now if you notice theres so many coming up . You have come so far and it went so quick ! Im 1 month tomorrow . See, time flies when your having fun . Just think of the end result . Life again! With grandbabies. No more electric carts etc. You have inspired many of us , weather you know it or not ! Spring is here , summer around the corner. We are blessed ! God bless America !
 
Ugh - my knees were also very swollen and painful today with the wet weather. I was very used to that with my arthritic knees; just didn't expect it with my new knees.

I'm OVER this whole thing. I'm tired of not being able to be comfortable in bed... or on dining chair... or on sofa... or any-freaking-place in my home.

I should be VERY grateful, and I know it! My recovery has gone pretty well and I know I'm just being impatient and irrational.

I knew intellectually before doing this that recovery was a year - but now I realize what exactly that means. I'm nine weeks tomorrow since my BTKR.

I'm trying to treat myself like I'd treat a friend who'd undergone this surgery. The urge is there, especially since I was in pain for nearly 3.5 years prior to surgery, to just grit my teeth and push through the pain. I know it's counter to recovery mindset so I'm really trying.

I wasn't even logging on here since I didn't feel like I could be positive. I know I'm fortunate. Just don't feel like it this week...

And yes, since I didn't want to re type on my dang iphone (why exactly can't I get swype on it?), I copied it from my reply on Blue's thread.

Since I'm "graduated" from outpatient PT, I'm going to the gym, using the same NuStep machine (from PT) and also walking in & exercising in the pool. Shooting for three times each week.

Sleeping still pretty crappy unless I take a pain pill or Xanax. Maybe getting 4-5 hours per night. Hoping this will change... But then, I'm an optimist lol!

Jacki
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Going to try a page out of Blue's book and start tomorrow with a better mindset!

Sweet dreams, all!

Edited 14 hours later to add - only slept 5 hours but it was all in one lump so that's positive!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you're so frustrated Jacki. I more than know how that goes. This process certainly is a slow one and I can't even imagine having both done at once. You Bilats deserve awards!! You're allowed to have down days - we all do. Just know that things will get better. It's just too bad there is no fast forward option to that. ;-)
 
Just being online here last night - venting and reading - helped me today. Reminds me that I'm not in this alone and there ARE others who know what I'm going through.

I'm iced, elevated, medicated and reading for a better night's sleep tonight.... and wishing the same for us all :D

Nighty night wabbits,
Jacki
 
YAY JACKI!! That's the way to turn it around! I'm WAY envious of your five hour block of sleep, I haven't had that for ages! Just keep on coming back, we're here for you good or bad, happy or sad :friends:This is a long road, like you I'm only now beginning to understand HOW long. And, it's not like we can simply say "okay, I'm done now" - our knees are in charge and they'll remind us of that every day for a while. We've just got to keep on moving forward gently, my friend :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @JackiFL

I though I'd pop by and see how you are doing. You are doing really well by the look of things, well done to you! I am genuinely pleased x x x

Btw we don't always feel positive and I think it pays to post those moment s so that anyone else who feels like that knows that it is a normal part of the recovery roller coaster! I've seen people get quite upset because they think they are the only ones who are struggling in amongst a sea of people who are doing this and doing that. I'm 10 weeks in and still not driving. Excuse the pun but it's driving me mad not being able to. I've made sure that this is on my thread! People need to know it's ok not to be ok and they'll feel a little better the following morning. They need to know that it's okay to still be taking strong pain meds beyond 6 weeks too. Our low moments are what people need to be able to read to make themselves feel better. To understand that this is normal.

That private physio has done me good. I'm sitting with my op leg flat on the bed and I can actually feel the back of the knee touching the mattress. Thank goodness progress!!! At last!!!!

Take care love Nana moon27 xoxoxoxoxoxox big hug for you xoxoxoxo
 
@JackiFL Just checking in to see how you are doing. How is the gym going? Is still have 7 more pt sessions and then will be off to the gym. My gym doesn't have a pool but I am looking at others that do. I can't wait to get in a warm pool.
 
Good morning all!

I'm doing "good enough" and that has to be enough for right now.

Here's my recap since my surgery January 14, 2014:

Surgery 11 weeks ago - I can walk without using a walker or a cane, admittedly with a limp and not for a race!

I can drive (and have, up to an hour away) and it seems easier on my knees than passengering, maybe because the seat is so adjustable as compared to the passenger seat?

I've been able to babysit my grandbabies (ages 1 & 3) for a couple of hours with no help.

I'm able to vacuum my floors, stand to wash dishes and load/empty dishwasher, moved furniture (easy to push around on laminate flooring) and do other other housecleaning. Ugh :D Not my favorite activities! I'm back to cooking most meals.

I walk to get my mail, use the NuStep machine at the gym a couple of days a week (30 min at level 3) and do 45 minutes of exercise in heated pool at the gym, 2-3 days a week (NOT the same days as the NuStep). I no longer HAVE to park in handicapped access spaces (although I have on occasion if crowded and I'm tired) and can shop, although I still use the motorized cart when doing grocery shipping.

I can get into my garden tub pretty well although getting out is a bit of a hassle so I don't take a tubbie as often as I'd like to! We have a walk in shower so I default to using that.

I cannot kneel down and I miss being able to just pop myself down onto the floor. All right, to be fair, it's been four years since I've "popped" down onto the floor. But I could get on the floor to okay with the kids even with my bad (old) knees.

I don't need the toilet seat frame brace thingy anymore. However, it's not painless to "just stand up" when I'm done and I'll grab the doorknob, door frame or wall for assistance. Been told that our toilets are low. I believe it!

I've found it difficult to find a chair that is still comfortable after sitting in it for more than 15 minutes - I'm short, fat and have only a 23" inseam so everything just sucks LOL! I've been to two movies (one last night) and I can't keep from shifting around to get comfy.

I'm icing my knees every night for about 90 minutes. And more often if I bang them up (like yesterday) or if I overdo it (happens wayyy too often).

Sleep - sucked before, sucks still!

I'm taking two Aleve each morning and two each evening. Hydrocodone on occasion (middle of the night and mornings are my worst times) and maybe 4-5 times a week.

All in all, each week is better than the previous week. And that's so much better than life before surgery where every week was worse than the week previous.

I'd do it again. It's better than it was. Even if I get no better than this. At least I'm not getting worse.

I admire those who do one knee and GO back to do the other - I'm glad I did both at once because I doubt I could muster up the initiative to go back for the other knee!

Well, that's my story!

Jacki
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi...so nice to hear from you! I know after 11 weeks it must seem like you've been in recovery forever! But, really you're still very early in this process. So, I'd say you're doing very well. You have lots of time yet for improvements. Most people don't begin to feel like themselves again until around the 6 month mark. And it can take a year or more to regain strength and flexibility like you want. So.....hang in there and keep working at it! Do enough to challenge yourself and your body, but not so much as to cause pain in the day or days following. It's all about balance and it can be quite difficult to find that "sweet spot" of activity to rest.
 
@JackiFL

We were operated on the same day and it seems we are pretty much in the same place for recovery.

I have driven but only about 15 min in either direction.

I cannot kneel down and I miss being able to just pop myself down onto the floor

I haven't tried kneeling but have found if I can sit on the sofa and "slide" to the floor. My husband laughs when I get up though. I have to admit it does look funny. I may be able to get up better but I am still in the "protect the knee" mode of thinking. I have to get brave one of these days and see if I can get up from floor actually using my knee.

don't need the toilet seat frame brace thingy anymore. However, it's not painless to "just stand up" when I'm done and I'll grab the doorknob, door frame or wall for assistance. Been told that our toilets are low. I believe it!

We also have a low toilet. Most of the time I can get down without holding the wall but there are times I need the support. Getting up is a bit easier. Can't wait to redo our bathroom and get a higher toilet.

I still take my hydrocodene 3 times a day. I have tried to wean off them but I still get that tight knee feeling if I go down to 2 tablets a day. Working on subsituting Tylenol for the rx.

Keep up the good work Jacki, you are doing great.


@jami
It's all about balance and it can be quite difficult to find that "sweet spot" of activity to rest.

You are so right about finding the "sweet spot". It seems to change from day to day depending on the mood of the knee.
 
Sounds like you're making great progress. Funny how the "appeal" of housework goes away once we are actually able to do it. :heehee:
 
@traveler1

You've made my day, honestly. I'm glad to hear how well you're doing and how normal things are.

Thought of something this morning - I'm about 1/4 thru the recovery year - but consider that I'm maybe 40% of (what could be considered) "normal". That's ahead of the game, wouldn't you say? Lol! :D

Smiling Jacki
 
@Jamie
Do enough to challenge yourself and your body, but not so much as to cause pain in the day or days following. It's all about balance and it can be quite difficult to find that "sweet spot" of activity to rest.

My whole life is me swinging wildly from one side to another - time to learn how to balance!!! My pendulum is a wicked swinger hahaha
 
Hi @JackiFL

I really enjoyed reading your post/update. I'm not that far behind you. It's lovely that you are doing so very well. You are coping with everyday life brilliantly and I applaud that. Well done!

I had my surgery just before you. The 3rd April will be my twelve weeks. I've had to accept that my recovery is slow. I still cannot drive due to being on Morphine. My GP has referred me back to the OS and I'm waiting for that appointment x my knee is still quite bent and swollen, despite doing the straightening exercises every day. I'm very frustrated. I can do all the activities you mentioned except for the grocery shopping, unless I'm taken and helped with it and the gym/pool stuff. I can't get to a gym because of not driving and the public pools are disgusting, so I can't face them.

However I'm going away this morning. There is a public pool but it is spotless and quiet at certain times. So I fully intend to take advantage of this. Everything where I'm staying is on one level, no stairs! Lovely.

Anyway, once again, well done on your now successful recovery x x xoxoxox x x x
 
I went to see my GP today. I've been off my Wellbutrin and Lexapro, weaned off after my surgery and for last month, completely OFF entirely. They weren't working well on my anxiety and the side effects had become severely limiting, for me.

I can use 1/2 - 1 Xanax 4-5 times per week for sleep. That helps!

Trying buspar for loss of libido. My primary care dr has had about 50% success rate with it. I'm a guinea pig! Can't hurt, might help. :D

Continuing with mental health counseling. I only get 20 visits per year so going every two weeks right now. Will space them out more later on.

And the best part? She was AMAZED at how well I'm walking! When every day seems so similar to the day prior, it's nice to have someone outside of family & friends say how good things look.

I'm still only taking one Hydrocodone (average) per day. Some days I need 2 - one in morning and also at night; other days I can manage with my Aleve and Tylenol. But mostly need one by late afternoon or early evening.

Hoping that everyone had a great April 1st ~ my birthday month!

Hugs to all with many thanks for your support and friendliness.

Jacki :-)





BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom