THR I've been on "the other side" for over 3½ weeks. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep up the good wok @Mercy1 I donated my femoral head but got to see it before it went!!!
 
@Mercy1 Just wanted to stop by and say so glad you found us and welcome, although a bit belated. Hope that all continues to go well for you and that each day gets better!!
 
@Mercy1 two years ago a local OS told me I needed THR, I though I would "tough it out" so I could keep playing basketball, snow ski ect...last winter when the hip was making my choices for me I know it was time.
I don't remember if asked the OS to take the picture of not, I may have....some of the morning of surgery is a blur
nice redneck pool options...I have been a pickup bed full of water (not mine) Fortunately we have a really nice YMCA in town so I can swim year round....with no snakes!
 
Lol, @Dieter!

What has your doctor said concerning future snow skiing?

You write as though recovery is going great! Very inspirational for all !!!






Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Crazy Question: I wanted the doctor to give me my femoral head after surgery ! I asked him while in the holding area if he would save it for me. He couldn't, but did snap a picture for me! Has anyone else ever wanted to see their old bones? (We've been together a long time!)


Mercy1
THR 5May14

Hi @Mercy1 - in regards to seeing the bone I woke up theatre to find them waving bone in front of my face - not what I first expected to see haha xx
 
@Mercy1 snow skiing is a big deal for me, and my OS said as long as I am reasonable (no double blacks or terrain parks) I would be fine, my hip has kept me out of the chutes for several years and I don't feel any need to go back to them, although I am looking forward to skiing glades again!
yes my recovery has been very smooth, and I know I am ahead of the curve, this is the reason I chose to have SuperPATH THR Funny, I was cooking hamburgers at a church picnic today and several folks came up and said "you should be resting with your bad hip" my reply was not to worry...I have a wonderful brand new hip!
 
@Dieter, may I ask where you went to have your surgery and the name of your doctor? Although I have been told that I am "way ahead" of most people, I am sorry I did not know about SuperPATH before I had my THR!

I am so happy for your EXCELLENT results!

Great to know that you are serving The Lord by feeding His sheep (one way or the other)!


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
I went to Minneapolis, Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital, the OS is Dr Olsen, his website is superpathhip.com
 
@Dieter, thank you so much!!!! If have to I do the R hip, I'll definitely look him up. I appreciate the information very much!


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Hi @Mercy1 - you asked about skiing... Do you mean down hill or cross country? I am a cross country skier, not that we have much snow happening in OZ at the moment. This weekend is the opening of the ski season and they have been madly trying to make snow!

Have you heard of Nordic Walking? I wrote an article about the benefits of it. It is in the Social Room. Orthopedic Surgeons in Australia are recommending it... My DHS and I love it.
 
@Poppet, you always have the best info!

Actually, talking about downhill skiing! We have to go West to do so, though! In Arkansas, this past winter, we may have been able to do some cross country skiing. . . A VERY COLD and snowy winter! Very unusual!

Tell me about Nordic walking! ❤️




Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
@Mercy1 How are you feeling today? I just had BTHR on June 3rd. I am not even a week out. I was discharged the following day. I don't have any pain to speak of besides my back and butt. This is from back sleeping and sitting too much! My hips are doing great, but I am letting them be in charge for fear of setbacks. I am able to walk around the house with my walker, use the bathroom, get in and out of chairs and in and out of my bed by myself (which was a challenge due to height). I was actually able to help DH clean up the kitchen a bit today. My biggest complaint is the energy drain I am experiencing. My therapist is really good and is being extra cautious with me which I don't mind at least for right now. I do experience some soreness once PT is done but it is nothing that I can't shake off pretty quickly. There are many ups and downs in recovery, we just have to be patient and nice to ourselves to get through them.

I love your pool photos. :rotfl:
 
@Serenity41, I'm doing great now that I have decided to go back to my trainer today instead of a physical therapist! My personal trainer taught physical therapy, but is now "retired". He won't let me hurt myself!

I'm glad to know you are doing so well! Wow, it takes a lot of determination to do what you have done! You are truly amazing!
[Bonesmart.org] I've been on "the other side" for over 3½ weeks. . .





Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
@Me2 I thought I was the only one who wanted to see and take home my femoral head. They didn't give it to me. I felt sad about having to let it go and wanted to have it.
 
@Dieter, that is an excellent idea! I guess I could get a trailer-hitch ball and say I had my femoral head preserved in stainless steel or something. . .
[Bonesmart.org] I've been on "the other side" for over 3½ weeks. . .



Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
@kcolle49 , I think there are several of us who wanted our "old parts"! I felt sad also about removing/changing BONE. I would love to hear what psychiatrists say about that!


Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Hello @Mercy1 :) I can't believe I have just found your thread: I thought I had seen everyone whose surgery date was close to mine! Anyway, glad to have found you - your energy and enthusiasm really jump off the screen and are an inspiration! Look forward to reading more about your recovery as you progress. :)
 
@FionaW, what a nice thing to say!!!

When was your surgery?

Unfortunately, I did not find BS until 3 weeks post-op! Oh, to have had the WONDERFUL folks here with me in prayer when I walked into the hospital that morning. . .

BUT, find them, I did. . .and have been getting important information from so MANY genuinely caring and experienced people, I can't tell you! IF I ever have to go through a total hip again, I will have a family here for support!❤️



Mercy1
LTHR 5May14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom