Guest viewing is limited

TKR It's The HoneyB's Knees

Hope the PT helps - they can probably give you some additional IT exercises/stretches, together with getting your ROM back to where it was. Isn't it grand to be able to say the knees feel good!? So happy for you. I had to sort out IT band issues as well (and like you, before I knew they existed!). As my knees deteriorated, I developed a severe valgus, which over years, caused the IT bands to shorten. Then with the new knees and straight legs, those bands let me know they were quite displeased! Figured out a number of stretches isolating them and it helped enormously. Good luck to you!
 
@Pumpkln - I don't know where I should address this, but in the new Surgeon Locator, for four of the six surgeons listed in my zip code, the surgeons' home addresses appear to be listed instead of their business addresses.
 
I've let Jamie know about the address mix up. You can personal message her with the names and surgeon office addresses so corrections can be made.
Thanks for letting us know about the mix up, we want the Surgeon Locator to be a valuable resource for members and surgeons.
 
@HoneyB ... I'll take care of getting this fixed if you will give me the name of the zip code and the names of the 4 surgeons with improper addresses.
 
Thank you for the opportunity to rate my surgeon (and his office address was correct!) He is brilliant!
 
@Jamie - I will provide the info you requested. Sorry I'm being so slow with this. I've been swamped with work, plus my 94-year-old mother came to visit for two weeks and had injured her shoulder pruning tree branches the day before she came. She's in really good shape for her age, but was taking pain pills and muscle relaxers for her shoulder so I needed to keep an eye on her every second because the medication made her unsteady when she walked. I'll make a reminder for myself to provide the info next week.
 
Please don't worry about it at all. We couldn't fix it right away anyway as we are all knee deep in preparations for this year's JRAD conference on May 4th.
 
@Jamie - Here are the Surgeon Locator Corrections. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. Matthew Barber – The address listed for him is correct. (Dr. Barber was my surgeon for both of my TKRs and I highly recommend him.) Two other doctors at the same address who have great reputations for knee replacement are Dr. Grant Zarzour and Dr. Michael Granberry.

Dr. William Bose – Address should be:
6701 Airport Blvd, Suite B 114
Mobile, AL 36608

Dr. William Crotwell – Address listed is correct, but his specialty is hands.

Dr. Sudhakar Madanagopal – No local listing for this doctor.

Dr. Andin McLeod, Jr. – I couldn’t find an office/clinic listing for him. If he is still practicing medicine, he is 80 years old.

Dr. Frederick Meyer – Deceased

Dr. Albert W. Pearsall – Address should be:
1601 Center St., Suite 3A
Mobile, AL 36604

Dr. Roger Setzler – Address should be the same address as Dr. Barber
 
That's wonderful. Thank you so much for taking time to get this straightened out.
 
Just an update. Some of this might be a repeat.

I'm doing ok, but have had some setbacks. I finished PT in November 2018, but continued with strengthening exercises at a gym in the rehab/wellness facility of a hospital very close to my house. Around January-February 2019, I started feeling like I was losing ROM. I called my surgeon's nurse and got a prescription to go back to PT in April to see what was going on. For convenience, I went to PT at the hospital rehab/wellness center instead of going back to either of the two groups I'd been to after my TKRs.

At my first PT visit, I found that my ROM had gone from 0-135 left/0-128 right down to about 0-118 left/0-108 right!!! I went to PT 8 times in April. My left got to 0-120 after one visit so they pretty much ignored it even though it was still regressed by about 15 degrees. They could easily push my right to 120+ without causing pain (discomfort but not pain), but I don't think I was getting it to 120 by myself even after the 8 visits. They attributed my regression to IT Band problems, which I've had since I was a young child. They spent most of my PT time massaging big lumps in my right leg IT Band. I could feel the lumps myself, and when using a roller for self massage, I'd get bruises over those lumps. I quit PT at the end of April in favor of doing gentle IT Band stretching exercises at home. I'm still doing those....

I had my 1-year checkup for both knees with my surgeon in June. He said everything looked great on the X-rays. I told him about my losing a good bit of flexibility after finishing PT. He also thinks my problems are due to IT Band issues. My doctor said it's uncommon, but not unheard of, to have this regression after getting good ROM and making it through the post-surgery "battle." He wasn't real concerned, but told me to come back if it got ANY worse. Otherwise, I'll go back in a year.

I can still get up from the floor fine, go up and down stairs fine, get in and out of the car fine, etc. I am aware of stiffness in my right leg when going downstairs, but I do fine going down. My quad muscle just above my right knee feels stiff like something is binding it. With some movements, I have mild pain on the outside edge of my right leg just above and below my knee. The surgeon and PT said the stiffness and pain are both likely IT Band issues. Since I've had IT Band issues my entire life, even though I didn't have a name for that demon until about 15 years ago, my surgeon said it was probably a developmental issue from birth and I might never get completely rid of it.

On the bright side, my knees don't hurt when I stand or walk. That's when they feel the best. I went for a 2.5 mile walk today with no problems.

I have zero regrets about having these TKRs. I'm 1000 times better than before. Still, I'm disappointed with my regression and hope I can slowly turn that back around.
 
I’ve found that walking is the best therapy for my knees, both the TKR and natural knee. It’s great that you’re able to walk with no pain.
 
All in all I think you have had a successful outcome. With your knees not even 1.5 years old, I think still having ups and downs are natural. Mine is 3 years old and I still have pain and some reduced bend some days. I think it's just going to be that way. Like you, mine is so much better than before the tkr. Isn't that what we all want?
 
He said everything looked great on the X-rays. I told him about my losing a good bit of flexibility after finishing PT. He also thinks my problems are due to IT Band issues. My doctor said it's uncommon, but not unheard of, to have this regression after getting good ROM and making it through the post-surgery "battle." He wasn't real concerned, but told me to come back if it got ANY worse. Otherwise, I'll go back in a year.
Have you read this article?
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
 
@Celle - Thanks. Yes, I've read the article and referred back to it a few times. I was taught how to do the IT Band stretches by all three PT groups, and I do the self acupressure massage. I feel like I take two steps forward and one step back (or sometimes one step forward and two steps back) with these IT Band issues. I wore the compression bands for several years on my daily walks before my TKRs. I haven't worn them since my TKRs. I was hoping that evening out my leg lengths would solve the problem that caused my IT Band issues, but it seems to have just resulted in different IT Band issues. Before my TKRs, the pain was directly on the outside of my knees and a doctor explained to me why that was happening and why the compression bands helped. At least the pain moved to a different location. Maybe in a few more months.......

I have an acquaintance who has had IT Band issues after TKR for two years. She's going to have an IT Band release procedure. I'll be interested to see how that works for her. Do you know any concerns about IT Band release? I'm going to read about it. I'm wondering if it would result in less stability.
 
I have an acquaintance who has had IT Band issues after TKR for two years. She's going to have an IT Band release procedure. I'll be interested to see how that works for her. Do you know any concerns about IT Band release? I'm going to read about it. I'm wondering if it would result in less stability.
I don't know enough about that surgery to advise you, so I'm going to ask @Josephine .
 
I haven't checked into Bonesmart in the past several months so this is just an update. My LTKR is at almost 23 months and my RTKR is at 19 months. I have no idea what my flexion is, but I'd say it's very good for my LTKR and not nearly as good for my RTKR. I had lifelong IT band problems in both legs prior to my surgeries, and it's still a significant issue for me with my right leg. My knees feel very good, but that IT band certainly stiffens up my right leg. I walk 2.5 miles per day with little to no problems, but my right-leg IT band reminds me it's there every time I walk downstairs, which I do multiple times per day, or need to do a big knee bend. I always default to my left knee when a big bend is required. I'm still hoping my right IT band will loosen up one day. At my 1-year checkup, my surgeon said I could very well continue to have IT band problems forever since it was a childhood developmental problem for me. Still, life is much better for me than before my TKRs.
 
Achieving a better knee is what everyone's goal is, and you have achieved yours! That is a success story! Thanks for coming back and updating for us.
 
Your IT band issues sound more complicated and certainly longer term than mine. I am sure you've been given many exercises to help stretch them... fo you feel any of them help. So glad ro hear you are still seeing progress in both knees... such a gift ro be able to have these knees and, despite cranky ITs or other stuff, be able to enjoy such freedom of movement and from pain. Good for you 2 5 miles per day.
 
@NightQuilter - Yes, I've been given many exercises for my IT Band problems. I did them faithfully for months, but they didn't seem to help. Prior to TKR surgery, I'd had one leg very slightly longer than the other my entire life. It didn't cause me to limp, but did cause my shoulders to look uneven. My surgeon said that leg length difference probably caused IT Band developmental issues from childhood, and since IT Bands don't stretch as easily or as much as a muscle, my IT Band might never stretch enough to resolve my IT Band issues. On the bright side, my legs are the same length now and my shoulders are even. I haven given up hope for continued improvement because my surgeon said "leveling me out" could affect my entire body similar to if I'd had scoliosis surgery so my body could take longer than usual to adjust to the changes caused by my TKRs.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom