Guest viewing is limited

TKR It's Done!!!

So sick, stopped taking pain meds-couldn't tolerate them. The doctor finally found anti nausea that works. What pain meds can you take that don't me you sick?! Or, can you do without meds?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So sorry pain meds are making you ill, but glad the doctor found an anti-nausea that works. I'm the same way and have to take Promethazine with every pill; it's the only one that helps, but then after a while the pain pills get the better of me anyway. One of the other anti-nausea meds made me really ill-I couldn't breathe and ended up in the ER, so that one is now on my very long list of meds that are not allowed. Until this site I didn't realize how many other people had major problems with pain meds. I thought I was an anomaly, but am glad to know I'm not the only one. Well, not glad that others suffer that way but glad I'm not alone, if you know what I mean. I hope this new med allows you to take pain pills now.
 
I have to take the anti nausea drug routinely to take the pain meds. I take that first, wait a little while and then eat something bland and then the pain meds. That's the only way it worked for me. I'm hoping it works for you too.
 
It's funny how we're all different. I have to first eat something, then take the pain pill and anti-nausea pill at the same time.....
 
Oh @kweh,
Me too with the pain meds causing sickness. I can't tolerate anything morphine based. The hospital tried every anti sickness drug going without any real success. At home I am just on Cocodamol which is paracetamol and a tiny bit of codeine. Which anti nausea med worked for you, and can you still take anything strong enough for the pain? I'm coming to the conclusion I am just going to have to tough this out as best I can.
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The anti nausea that stopped the nausea is a cream that you rub on your wrist. I can't remember the name right now. Maybe something like phenagrin? But that made me fall into a heavy sleep with crazy dreams and I also felt so drugged. So, I'm not on any meds now. Just using ice to numb the pain. Had my first pt this morning. It hurt but didn't last long.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@kweh
Have you tried Tylenol/Acetaminophen? That isn't an opiate and it usually doesn't make people feel nauseous.
The effective dose s 1,000 mg, 4 times a day (4-6-hourly), to a total of 4,000 mg in 24 hours.
All opiates make me vomit and that was all I had after my PKR and it worked well, as long as I took it regularly.

Ice does help a lot, as you're finding out. Don't let the PT hurt at all. You only need minimal PT anyway.
 
I just took 2 extra strength Tylenol and I am in so much less pain! I am surprised because you think that is something you might just use for a mild headache!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tylenol is very effective, provided you take the correct dose and keep taking it regularly. You need to keep up a constant level in your blood, so that you're not playing catch-up with the pain.
 
Weird tingling feeling in leg while using cpm machine. I've heard the "zings" are normal. Anyone feeling this?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I haven't used a CPM machine, but I get the 'zings' you describe a bit like short sharp shocks. Hope they are normal! How are you otherwise?
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
Those zingers are normal. I think that most of us have experienced them. They're tiny electric shocks and they happen because the little nerves that were cut during surgery are sending messages as they try to reconnect.
 
How on earth do you do quad exercises when your quads feel like hamburger meat?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so sorry you can't tolerate the pain meds. I take loratabs and they do work pretty good. I take 1 every 4 hours. I also elevate and that seems to help with swelling. I spend a lot of time in my recliner with ice. Yesterday I got restless sitting but it's more comfortable than the couch or bed. I spend a few hours in the bed tonight now I'm in the recliner again!
 
How on earth do you do quad exercises when your quads feel like hamburger meat?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Very gently and not very much yet. :) :console2:
 
How on earth do you do quad exercises when your quads feel like hamburger meat?
You don't need to do them yet. just give it a rest until your leg feels a bit better.
 
I try to time my heel slides for when pain meds are at maximum-like an hour after I take them. I also wear compression hose which keeps the swelling down. That really seems to help-my hurt the worse when swollen of course. Have you tried that? Wish night time didn't get so bad-stressful.
 
I got my staples out today, 2 weeks past surgery. It was good to get that bandage off, also. Doctor said I can take ibuprofen, so that's going to help a lot. I'm feeling pretty good, and starting to be able to do more around the house. Watching the tornado coverage on tv is keeping me entertained better than anything I've watched so far! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom