Guest viewing is limited

TKR Is this as good as it gets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I'm sorry it has taken me a while to check back I did not have service for a bit. Thankyou all for your care. I have just been resting elevating and icing both knees as much as possible. I'm still in a good bit of pain but it is a little better. I go to therapy on tues. They will evaluate my situation and make a game plan from there I guess mayb they can just start with sonogram therapy and tens machine or something. I'm still in shock this happend on the first day I actually felt some amount of normal again. It does truly help to have people care though thank you
 
It was really bad luck this happened to you @Baby billy . It's a set back, but, given time, you will get back to where you were and then continue to improve.

Just take things easy for now, as you are doing, and don't let anyone do anything to hurt you - on either knee.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Well I'm on the road back to recovery from my fall. My ROM is back to (pre fall)on the biodex machine in still in some pain and a strange new pinching sensation in my kneecap that comes and goes weird. I can be walking good one minute then sudden pinching and can hardly bear weight then it eventually goes away. My quad muscle is very weak tho and I'm having trouble getting that back.
 
Good to hear that you're doing OK. You had a big set back, so take things extra-slowly. You're going to get there in the end, even if it takes a little longer than expected.
Those extra pains could just be a reminder to be take things gently.
 
You guys I don't know what I'm going to do. I was just healing from my Mother's Day accident where I tore the knee and quad muscle. And tonight I fell of my basement steps and trying not to fall all the way and hit my head I felt a snap and then instant fire pain in my knee cap and hurts to bear weight. Does anyone know if it was just the plastic button inside ( they say that can snap) would it hurt like that or is it likely that I re- tore what was healing? Right now I'm back to RICE but I'm so upset so hopeless.
 
Oh dear. I'm so sorry. Josephine may know the answer to this, but I can't even guess. After a fall like that, though, it's best that you contact your OS to be certain everything is ok. Of course you're upset, but remember that even if this is a new injury, this too will heal. Take good care of yourself and try not to worry too much. Sending prayers your way.
 
@Baby billy

What rotten bad luck! I'm so sorry you had another fall.

I think it would be best if you go to your doctor or OS and get it all checked out. There's no way that we can guess what's happened.

Meanwhile, you know the drill - back to rest, ice, elevation and pain medications.

Please let us know how you get on.
 
Yes, I would call your OS.
 
I didn't call the dr today I thought I would give it some time but I'm gonna have to call tomorrow if nothing else I need pain med. it's swollen sorta red and hot. I'm so frustrated I did this surgery because I was in so much pain and wanted to participate in life but I've had nothing but complications and I'm stuck sitting on the couch watching the world go by.
 
Oh babybilly I am so sorry all this keeps happening to you! I wish I had some insight to help but I don't. I really think you need to see your OS as soon as possible, I am sure he isn't quick to get into.
You Are having one if my biggest fear happening to you...falling! Bless you and your knee.


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Well my OS was out all week but it is doing better still weak of course but better. I am terrified of falling again now though and afraid to be alone in case I fall. I'm gonna have to tackle this fear or it will cripple me instead of my knees!!
 
Went in to see my IOS I have swelling and bruising but I lucked out and didn't do anything major when I fell. I am back to using the walker I was referred to an ENT for dizziness that he thinks was making me fall. I have EAR rocks floating around They had to do maneuvers to put them back where they belong so I hope that works and I pray I don't fall anymore
 
@Baby billy

I am so glad to hear that you have done no serious damage to your knee. While your fall has set you back (again) you will still get there in the end. So now, be kind to yourself and to your knee. Rest lots!

I had that ear thing that upsets your balance and makes you dizzy. It's called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). Not nice, is it? I hope that the manoeuvrings to put the errant bits of calcium back in the right place have helped. Mine recurs from time to time, but never as badly as the first episode.
 
Doing much better since my falls. Still quite weak in that leg trying hard to build it up. I have a lot of pain directly over my kneecap only when I bear most weight on it such as trying to go up stairs using that leg or when I sit or stand if too much weight goes to that knee is this all normal? My surgery was March 27th there is still some swelling PT thinks maybe a bit of fluid on the knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You're right about three months out. It's normal to still have some pain and swelling. If the pain is constant, you might want to take something for it, as it's not good to be in significant pain.

I had a sharp pain at the top of my kneecap for quite some time. It finally went away. It just takes time.
 
Some one help me. I'm doing pretty good with walking and not usualy much pain now. But my surgery was march 27. And I still can't take stairs with that knee I have to go one at a time leading with my other knee. I may be able to manage one step or if they are not steep I try. But it seems bearing weight while it's bent is my issue hurts right on top of the knee cap. Is this normal? Am I on track with healing? I have had done set backs. I'm on vacation and can't get into dr for a while so thought maybe y'all could help guide me. Thanks.
 
@Baby billy. It's not normal from March. Have you gone to your OS? If s/he says it is, have you gone elsewhere to get a 2nd opinion? I know I've had a remarkable recovery but you're at just over 3 months in. You should be walking down by now. Here's something that I found that might help you. Initially I was walking down the steps too tenderly, and like a ballet dancer moving slow, gracefully, it puts a lot of strain on the quads. I realized that when I had good knees, the confidence allowed me, like walking, to fall to the next step, with my weight directly over the forward knee. As long as the joint could take the low impact, the only other thing necessary was the flex of the trailing foot. By not hanging on to the railing for dear life, I was able to flow in one piece to the next step.

Perhaps I'll make a video as this helped me a great deal.
 
Actually, Billy....it is quite normal for steps to be challenging even at 3 months. Most people don't report that they begin to feel "normal" after a TKR until about 6 months. So please don't panic. If it would make you more comfortable, by all means make an appointment with your surgeon and talk about the pain you're feeling.

Your quad muscles may be weak still. That is quite common after years of knee problems. As I remember with my last TKR, I had that pain at the top of the patella for many months. it would come and go for the longest time. Then one day it was just gone.

It may be helpful for you to do some cycling on a recumbent bike or regular bike if you prefer. This would start to strengthen those muscles. You can also do squats (feet together, stick your bottom out and bend slowly down and back up at the knees). The fact that you have this pain only when doing stairs is what indicates there is most likely no problem with your knee at all. Remember......it can take a year or more to fully recover from a TKR!

Another thing....be sure you are placing you weight primarily on the heels of your feet when doing stairs. Doing this naturally puts your leg in the proper 90-degree postion that keeps excess pressure off your knee. You need to let the quad muscles do the work when negotiating stairs. If you catch yourself bending forward when going up stairs and trying to pull yourself up, straighten your body up so you maintain your weight on your heels.
 
Every progresses at his own pace. You're well in the range of normal.
 
@Baby billy I am almost at 3 months and no where near able to do stairs "normal". I think it'll be awhile before I can. So thank you @Wednesday I was having a small freak out!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom