Hip Arthroscopy Is there life after THR & Arthroscopy? You Betcha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:yikes: horsecrazy Oh Bev, what a naughty pony Earnie was! And what a lovely rider your friend Christine is - I'd have been turned into a lawn dart (or in this case a sand dart) on the first one!!! :heehee: Christine just sat those moments beautifully - and he was tense too - she must have felt she was sitting on a piece of 2x4! Not an easy ride, but she handled it beautifully! Looks like there were a couple of trolls out there - and one of them was certainly hiding in the corner near H! I agree with the judge, Christine sure did seem to have glue on her pants!! I did think it was nice of him to have the manners to warn everyone that he was going for some airs above the ground with that whinny of his though! :rotfl:

You definitely have your work cut out for you to nip that in the bud before you get on!! Might I recommend lunging????....about 4 hours of it???? :snork: before you step on. That ought to knock the nut job outta him!! :whistle: (ok, so four hours was an exaggeration - but you know what I mean!! LOL)

I have certainly had the nut job knocked outta me with my first pool session of exercise rehab today:loll:. Nothing was painful - I did loads of different exercises, and even finished of with four laps of freestyle - it felt AWESOME to be moving freely through the water - and to have my heart rate up from exertion! I am SO tired now though! I certainly wont have trouble sleeping tonight :sleep: Tomorrow will tell me if I've overdone it today - fingers crossed that I didnt!

Cheers! Jena
 
Hi Meggzie, water therapy is great, but you are right when you wrote because we feel so free of pain in the water, we can overdo it in a session.. Rest up tomorrow if you can, then you will be ready to go again :)
 
Meggzie, Yes, Christine is always my crash test dummy:heehee: The deal with Earnie is, he is good (spooky but not crazy) at home, but he gets totally nuts off property if he can't see one of his buddies. He never had an owner before me at age 9, and he has not learned to bond with people and he gets all his security from other horses.
I'm working on teaching him that he can relax and trust the rider, but it is going to be a long haul. He is, believe it or not, a total love bug horse, but just very very insecure.

I hate swimming, but listening to you almost makes me want to dive in a pool! Though with our fall weather a fire is much more appealing right now. Again, I'm so happy for your continued recovery and sooner or later I hope to be there with you walking limp free :beg:

best,
Bev
 
horsecrazy I did wonder from Earnie's whinnying if maybe there was some separation anxiety there. He did have some nice moments too - you can see that he has lovely movement in that body of his, if he could just relax. I'm sure you'll develop that trust with him that he needs - and going out to shows wont be such and ordeal for him when he cant see his pony friends.

Thankyou for your good wishes on my recovery - and I want to send the same to you! How's that groin pain, getting better I hope? The limp will go - in my case it seemed sudden, but i'm sure there had been a gradual improvement. For me, it seemed to get better quickly once I started doing exercises to improve proprioception (sp?) - that's the body's ability to know where it is in space without visual cues. My PT had me sit on a swiss ball with my feet together, looking straight ahead into a mirror, with my hips at the same level. When she had me look down at my hips, my operated hip was dropped a good two inches lower than my left - but it 'felt' straight. So, my next exercise was simply sitting on the ball in front of a mirror with my hips level...it seemed to take effort from my right leg to 'push' my hip into the right plane. The other exercise she gave me was the bum shuffle - sit on the floor with legs straight out in front , then keeping legs straight and not pushing off with heels, lift one buttock off the ground and move it forward a couple of inches - then do the same with the other side, repeat until you've shuffled your butt across the floor then do the reverse backwards. This really helps those muscles around the hip develop the feeling of keeping that new hip up in it's rightful place, rather than letting it drop - looks a bit crazy but it really worked for me. I'm not saying you should be doing this:no-fin: - I'm no PT - just letting you know what helped me. :SUNsmile: Ask yours if something like this might work for you once your pain issues are resolved, maybe?

Poppet I'm not feeling too many ill effects from yesterday's pool session - actually a bit stiff from using my upper body rather than any soreness around my hip :happydance: I have a stretching/ab work session today and back to the pool on Thursday - cant wait!! I will stress tho' that these sessions are all about rehab, run by a rehab physio - the exercises are very gentle - I'm on stage one and everything is very simple and we are told VERY sternly that nothing we do should hurt and if it does - STOP!! I'm loving it! Particularly as the PT echoes exactly what BoneSmart tells us daily!
 
Question time....

I'm four and a half months out from RTHR. Directly behind my posterior approach scar is an area of flesh which feels hard - like it has 'solidified' along the length of the scar, but not directly under the scar. The skin over this area is also vaguely numb. If I try to sit crosslegged like a school kid, it feels like the swelling restricts the knee from relaxing toward the ground - it feels a bit uncomfortably compressed...Normal? Will it just take more time and I should just leave it alone or should I get stuck in with some massage to break it down a bit? Josephine what would you suggest?
 
People often get surprised by this but it's nothing more sinister than the healing of the internal scar which will not only be hard fibrous tissue but swollen as well and yes, it feels just like a brick when sat upon! This shows you, in a cross section of a hip, where the incision goes from the skin to the joint.

[Bonesmart.org] Is there life after THR & Arthroscopy? You Betcha!!


What you need to do about it is ice the area, taken pain meds as necessary and not worry about it! Certainly don't start massaging it or applying lotions, potions or creams as it will make not a scrap of difference.

And the numbness is just because nerves in the area, either in the skin or just beneath, were cut when the surgeon made his incision. These may or may not repair themselves - it's 50/50 whether or not they will. Not a lot you can do about that.
 
Today, I feel like I got my life back. It's been a completely ordinary day. I got up, went out to the horse, had some hay delivered (they stacked it, I covered it with a big tarp). Once the hay was taken care of, I cleaned a heap of my leather riding gear and then went out into the paddock to catch my big fat pony. I brought him in, spent ages grooming him, then took him up to the round yard to exercise him on the lunge (for non horsey ppl - when lunging a horse, a 10 metre long lead is used and the horse moves around his person in a circle - its great exercise for the pony, and can be a bit dizzy-ing for the poor schmuck in the middle!! :sick: ) Lunging is great to get the pony back into shape before I start riding in 8 MORE SLEEPS!!! (The surgeon WILL be giving me the green light on Wednesday or there'll be trouble - he better be scared :scary: !!!

Anyway, after his exercise he was a bit sweaty, so I gave the pony a bath, turned him out to graze and re-cleaned his gear.

Not once did I think about my hips!!:yay: Next Sunday I will be back in the saddle and I feel GREAT!!!
 
Woohoo.... Meggzie, good for you Aussie girl.. Sounds like a wonderful morning.. Hope you have your feet up now or having a nap :)
 
Woo Hoo Meggzie! I just got back from a 1/2 hour ride .... it was HEAVEN! :angel: even though my horse was wired....he jigged all the way home and I loved every minute of it. NO PAIN!!!!!
 
Poppet I did take things a bit easier in the afternoon - not because I had to, but just cos I could!! :) Oh, and I had another first too - I just realised I went the whole day yesterday with no pain relief on board at all - I just forgot to take it! Yay!! I will admit to feeling a tiny bit sore this morning - but the soreness is more like post exercise stiffness (like after a really good gym workout) rather that post surgery soreness! In the words of the great James Brown...."I feel good!" :egypdance:

Jojool it is SO great to hear that you're back and enjoying your riding. Oh, a jigging horse - I found that to be pure torture before my surgery:sad: , was it the same for you too? Sensational that you have no pain now - I cant wait to join you in the saddle - 7 more sleeps and counting!! :happydance:
 
Great Meggzie, mixing exercise, with rest, best way to handle recovery without taking two steps forward, one/two back.. Good for you!
 
Now hear this, now hear this....Meggzie will be back in the saddle this weekend!!:happydance: :egypdance: :yay: :yahoo:

My OS is very happy with my progress so far. When he saw me walking in, the first thing he asked was if I was riding yet. When I said not yet, he asked why and said I clearly looked ready! He had the grace to look a bit bashful when I pointed out that I was following doctor's orders!! He gave his 100% blessing for me to start this weekend. YIPEE!!

OMG I am beside myself with happiness!! My good friend and coach insists that she rides my horse first, just to make sure he wont be silly after his long holiday. My work schedule is crazy this week and she'll be teaching all day on Saturday, so Sunday it is. While I know he'll be fine, it really is a sensible precaution, so I'm almost ok with waiting til Sunday :wink:

Watch this space for first ride photos on Sunday!! 3 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!
 
It's the big day today! SO excited I can hardly stand it! :spin:
 
Go Aussie girl... Can't wait read all about that first ride Meggzie and see the photos :)
 
Can't wait to see you!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom