Is it unrealistic to hope to walk 4 blocks a few weeks after surgery?

Try to do something relaxing this weekend. Sounds like you are prepared and I also think you will be surprised at how well you are going to do.
Sorry to throw you under the bus ..gaulsuerue..but check out her thread.
So many of her worries were proven to be unfounded and she is a bilateral wonder now.
It can be tough the first week but it IS major surgery!!!
No hip pain is so worth it.
 
@Lerwick8 I'm really glad you started this thread because, like you, I've been wondering how long it'll be before I'll be able to walk as far as my local coffee shop. I'm not looking forward to being stuck in the house for several weeks, although I'm fortunate that I can sit out on my patio if the weather permits (and I have my lovely cats for company and a HUGE stack of books waiting to be read so I should really have plenty of entertainment!). My local coffee shop is probably a 10 minute walk away and luckily it's all on the flat but it's up a country lane with no pavement (Brit-speak for sidewalk ) either side so I think I'll need to wait until I'm nimble enough to be able to get into the grass verge quickly if any cars come whizzing by! The lure of good coffee, cake and company will be a good incentive to recovery though!

I went for my pre-op at the hospital yesterday and the Physio said: "bear in mind that however far you manage to walk, you've got to walk the same distance back". I think that's probably good advice for us all to follow so we don't get carried away doing too much too soon.

I look forward to hearing that you've made it to your coffee shop in a few short weeks' time. Hope I'll have made it to mine too!
 
@1hipwonder ..yes, the idea of being stuck at home really is a bit frightful:yikes:

I too have many books to read, coloring books, and even a jigsaw puzzle. One of my neighbors in my building is dying to work on the jigsaw puzzle with me. She is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle expert and I fear that if she works on it, it will be done in 5 minutes as opposed to the 5+ days it would probably take me:loll:

I envy you having outdoor space! I think that will make a huge difference for you in the healing process. Well, you already know how far my closest outdoor space is in return blocks.

Definitely let a trip to the coffee shop motivate you when you are ready for it.

P.S. I went to graduate school in England, so I know Brit-speak fairly well:) :-) (:
 
Hi @Lerwick8
You're on my mind today, will be tomorrow too. Just think...after all the research, careful planning and preparation in choosing the right surgeon, making lists, checking them twice, preparing your home, the time is almost here. I hope you're feeling a sense of calm today but if you're not, you wouldn't be the first.

I'm excited for you to have this behind you and be on the other side. The side where you can breathe a sigh of relief and be thankful it's over. The side without joint pain, the side where you get a second chance to move about freely once again without the physical limitations that got you to this point.

A couple of things that helped me were noted by fellow BS Hippy's, one was @Irish Joe who reminded me that while this was a very important day for me, for the professionals it was just another day at the office. Ponder that....they're doing what they've trained to do, what they do best! @ScenicRte reminded me that no one is indifferent, your surgery team wants the same outcome you do. She also reminded me that a gazillion people have had hip replacement and that more than a gazillion had general anesthesia (one of my fears) and they are okay.....she followed it by saying "seriously a gazillion!" Which made me chuckle but also relax...she also reminded me that the amount you worry about something has absolutely ZERO to do with actual probability of anything bad happening......oh, so true!!

Words may feel meaningless to you at this point but there are many who care and will still offer them up in an effort to bring you peace and comfort. My prayer is that you arrive, if you haven't already, to the point where you feel ready to take it all on and move forward in life.

Get that new thread going as we'll be watching and waiting to hear "your story" and cheer you on as you recover.

Wishing you have a peaceful, relaxing day!
 
@Lerwick8 - just wanted to say a quick 'good luck' before your op tomorrow, although as @Layla's wise (and calming) words above have reminded me, there's really no need for luck - the professionals will do what they're highly trained and skilled in and this will all be the result of lots of planning and preparation by you and all involved.

I'll be looking for your 'recovery' thread. Keep focused on a pain-free future and don't forget that coffee and cake that'll be waiting for you just a few blocks away in a few weeks!
 
@Lerwick8, thinking of you today! I hope you are able to relax some today. I'm sure you're well planned and whatever you haven't thought of will take care of itself. I was reminded yesterday, 'don't worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself'.

Take some deep breaths and can't wait to hear from you on the other side!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Your gonna do great girl. See you in the other side.
 
@Layla .. your words always have a soothing effect on me. And @Mojo333 , you always cheer me up!

I am pretty restless today. As the weather is unusually nice today, I took my soon-to-be ex-hip for a long, leisurely stroll today. We walked to Japantown and then completed a few errands. Pain, or no pain, it is our last day together.

I really feel as though I am coming down with something, but no fever. Perhaps just a physical reaction to stress/anxiety?

Probably will not start my post-op thread until later in the week. I am only taking my phone with me to the hospital and I really bad at typing on that small thing:scare:

Thank you again for your support, it means a lot to me!!!
 
@susan12369
I was reminded yesterday, 'don't worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself'.
I love this! I will certainly keep this in mind tonight, especially as I just returned home from running errands and realized that I forgot something.

Doctor gave me the go ahead to have my sake tonight, and I am having a glass now. Will not have much, just enough to relax a bit (and surgery is still 22 hours away).

Going to take my next-to-last Hibiclens shower soon and after watching "Endeavor" on Masterpiece Theatre later this evening, I will 'endeavor' to get some sleep in my newly-washed sheets.

I will do my best to start my post-op thread by mid-week. It will be a lot easier if I am able to do at home on my iPad or laptop, rather than from my ancient cell phone while in the hospital.

Thank you again for all of your support!:wave:
 
@Lerwick8 you are going to do great tomorrow!!! Just relax and know it will be better soon. I will only be 48 hours behind you.
 
Best wishes tomorrow.
Bye Bye Hip Pain.
Joe.....
 
Good luck tomorrow @Lerwick8
Will be thinking about ya !
Sleep well, try to think good thoughts you will be on the other side before you know it :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom