Guest viewing is limited

Is it unrealistic to hope to walk 4 blocks a few weeks after surgery?

summer in San Francisco--well that is kind of a joke!
Yes, I was born in SF - unless you live there you just don't know.

Regarding your symptoms of a cold - the head of the surgery unit where I worked suggested drinking one of those probiotic drinks everyday pre-op. I did this before my spinal surgery and have done it ever since. Supposedly builds your immune system. Rest when you can. Heading for surgery is stressful. Take care of yourself.
 
@Lerwick8 I am no medical expert, but in me, those "morning only" symptoms denote overnight post-nasal drip doing its thing, except my asthma is treated and gone so chest tightness would upset me. But the gunk in the morning--- my allergist says, in me, it's drip from sinuses, going overnight down the path of least resistance and winding up high in my chest. Also wrapped around my vocal folds LOL. My pollen app tells me that your allergens are at medium to medium-high for the next 4 days, ad the predominant pollens are: chenopods (???), grasses, and elms. This season is my second-worst of the year, and sometimes worse than spring!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@zauberflöte ... LOL , thank you for the pollen report:loll:Yes it has been an especially bad year for allergies and it seems to be a bit of a nationwide issue. When I visit my Dad in Atlanta, everyone is talking about how bad this year is, and of course, the same goes for SF.

It is always worse when one is asthmatic. Fortunately, no chest tightness!
 
Hi @Lerwick8 , You needn't be discouraged. With your level of fitness, you will probably not be housebound for 4-6 weeks. While several blocks the moment you get home from hospital would be too much to expect, you will be able to walk in the open air slowly after around 7 days, maybe a short distance, let's say 1 block to get at least a breath of fresh air. I did that - with crutches. You can increase the distance and the speed slowly and gradually. Then you will have a chance to go to your favourite coffee shop after 3-4 weeks.
 
Good Morning @Lerwick8
Hope your cold symptoms are disappearing.
I know you're anxious to get on with this and move forward with recovery.
Just think.....this time next week you'll be beyond surgery and will truly feel a mental relief, at least I did!

Creating your nest for recovery is wise. You sound well prepared.
Don't forget about meals that are readily available and easy to grab.
The least prep the better in those early days.
You'll be home and on the mend before you know it, itching to get outside
to count how many driveways you can pass.
Wishing you a peaceful day!
 
I had a RTHR in 2011 at 55 years of age and this is a brief history of my recovery and history, I do not advocate doing any of this as we are all different but it is my story.
R hip failed after a motorcycle crash in 2007 and I was recommended for THR in 2010, I race motorcycles so keeping fit was important to me and although walking was extremely painful I could still ride a mountain bike and did about 15-20 miles a day up until the day of my operation.
1 day post op, they got me on my feet firstly on a walker then crutches.
4 days post op, returned home.
5 days post op, played about in the garden and got bored, mate turned up and drove me to my bike club for a beer managed to sit on a bike.
6 days post op, nextdoor drove me to ASDA supermarket where I used shopping trolley as a walker
7 days post op, walked half mile (on crutches) to Dr for a sick note then walked another mile or so to hand it into work, got lift home.
14 days post op, visited Dr to have staples removed, Dr watched me walk and advised I lose the crutches if I am confident.
18 days post op, managed 6 mile walk without crutches.
21 days post op, walked to top of Worcester Beacon on the Malvern Hills from the train station then rode a push bike through the town (Friend's bike who met us at the station).
35 days post op, returned to work
This will not work for everyone, I am determined to the point of being arrogant, I refused to use shower seats and the thing that goes over the toilet. I also refused help, if a step ladder needed to be climbed I climbed it and to fill time I changed the engine over in my bike.
I only leave this here as an example of what can be done with determination, I do not recommend doing it. We all start the journey from a different place and as we get older recovery can take longer. I do however believe that there is no typical recovery and never let anyone tell you you can not do anything if you want to do it but if you can not do anything you can't do it no matter how much you are told you can. My discharge was delayed for a day as pain was so bad (The result I believe of keeping my muscle-tone in such good condition pre op) that I could not walk even on crutches, a kindly Physio told me "Ice packs and as much Oral Morphene as you can get" six hours latter and they told me off for walking up and down the ward repetitively . Good luck, you will be fine.
 
@Layla.. Good Evening!

A kind of crazy day spent organizing things. Tomorrow I will set up the toilet seat riser, etc. My toilet seat is too low even for an anterior recovery.

Went to my PCP today and she thinks that I am suffering from allergies compounded by the asthma. I had all of my pre-op tests done today, including a chest X-ray which was normal. Fingers crossed all stays well until Monday, so I can put this behind me.

I hope that you are having a nice and peaceful evening:SUNsmile:
 
Hello @Lerwick8
It's comforting to learn you're probably only suffering allergies as opposed to a cold. I'm sure all will continue to fall into place for you......you're almost there....then onto recovery.
You sound very organized and ready to get on with your new life without pain! I'm excited for you. I think you'll feel the same a week from now, as surgery will be behind you and a great future ahead of you.
Wishing you sweet dreams and a good night's sleep!
 
@Layla..yes, only a few days to go. Yikes, I hope that I get everything done before Monday, including taking a day for myself to do something fun! Saturday perhaps..

LOL.."a good night's sleep." Last night I was doing my pre-op exercises, as prescribed by the doc, and I fell asleep mid-heel slide:loll:
 
It would be good for you to take some time for yourself before surgery if you're able. You might feel a little cooped up afterward but I don't think that will really bother you in the very early days of recovery. You'll most likely be tired and not moving around too much.

Early on after surgery I occupied my mind with thoughts of how I was going to get a shower in. Going from a daily shower to being afraid to attempt one until day five post op was a little frustrating. That first shower post op feels so good! It wasn't leisurely of course and involved dragging the walker in with me and my husband within shouting range but I felt like a new woman! Definitely having some type of body wipes you can use the first couple of days is helpful. I also found them useful when going to the bathroom since I felt stiff with limited range of motion. Things like that frustrated me. I recall at the hospital I didn't know how I was going to get off the toilet the first time but it's amazing how quickly you adapt and figure things out.

Before surgery I also heard you don't have much of an appetite afterward. I found my appetite didn't really change much but I felt lazy the first few days and that may have contributed to eating less.

You may be more tired than usual. I expected to be but it didn't really happen for me! I'm not a daytime napper, never have been and hoped surgery would change that, but it didn't. I slept really well at night though. A solid, dead to the world 3-4 hours then I'd wake to go to the bathroom then back out cold for another 3-4 hrs. Even though my body was in repair mode the quality and quantity of sleep must have been enough for me. We're all so different!! I did take a 5 minute cat nap here and there but that's it!! I was proud....thinking I napped till I looked at the clock and realized I hadn't : (

I also kept waiting for this horrid unrelenting pain to kick in on the fourth or fifth day which I heard was common.....never happened. I was off the Oxy on day four. Once again.....we're all different. I've always felt I had a high pain threshold and my mom agrees so maybe I lucked out in that area. If I felt I needed to stay on the Oxy I would have so I'm not trying to discourage that in any way. The Extra Strength Tylenol worked for me after the initial four days on Oxy.

I guess my only point in sharing some of my recovery is that some of the very things that caused me anxiety pre surgery....never materialized. You'll find the same I'm sure. All you can do is prepare yourself the best you can and it seems you've got that down. Don't forget lip balm. I had really dry lips post surgery and had to send someone off to get me some.

Bone Smart was an early close companion as was tv. I enjoyed reading others threads, especially those who's surgery dates were in close proximity with mine. There are many great people on here to communicate with, as you already know. We'll be here to calm your fears, share ideas and offer encouragement every step of the way!

A great weekend to you! @Lerwick8
 
I'd just rest and try not to stress @Lerwick8 that's easier said than done lol. I think it's best you play it by ear, expect to be in say a week and have stuff to do inside then IF you can do more OUT go for it ...Hugs been a crazy day here
 
Hi @Layla ...Thank you for your encouragement!:loll:

It sounds as though we have some things in common: I am not a day napper either, I have a high pain threshold too, and I am normally a very heavy/deep sleeper. Hopefully this will hold me in good stead too.

I think I over-ordered the body-cleaning wipes.. but I can donate the unused ones to Recare (a medical supply recycling charity).

Cannot even contemplate a night of deep sleep without a tube of lip balm on my nightstand, but I am grateful that you reminded me.

It is all becoming real today as the handyman is here and he just put the toilet seat riser in place.:umm:

I hope that you too have a good weekend!
 
@Lerwick8, I definitely wouldn't think of yourself as having to be housebound. That would have driven me crazy! I was outside walking right away - not far, and not alone at first for sure, but still out in the sun. I would try not to focus too much on what you can or can't do after recovery - the truth is that you won't know until you get there because your recovery is not going to look exactly like anyone else's. And if you pay attention to your body, you'll know what you need.

I would also suggest that you refer to your surgeon's recommendations for exercises, pt, etc - you're trusting him/her to replace your hip, trust that they also know what you will need in recovery.

And I hope you can stay healthy, that was one of my biggest concerns before my surgeries this summer!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@susan12369 .. Thank you Susan!!!!

So funny, because a lot of people I know keep asking me how long it will take to recover, etc. and I always tell them that I honestly have no idea (only a rough idea) as everyone's recovery really is unique.

Thankfully my surgeon is not OTT on the physical therapy front (as per the BoneSmart mantra, it is better not to push it).

Yes.. the urge to stay healthy. I have been taking extra vitamin C, Cold -eze, etc. Just want to get the surgery over with and not have anything get in the way. Must confess to drinking a bit of extra sake today due to pre-op nerves, although no alcohol for 48 hours pre-surgery, so nothing from Saturday forwards.

Well, I will leave you now as I am heading for the shower and the last shave permitted before Monday's surgery.:ok:
 
[emoji3] I had whiskey every night before - even the night before as I was given no restrictions regarding alcohol.

I had lots of people, especially at work, ask about recovery too. We're not accustomed to not knowing, I think.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I have done pt after both of my THRs and am still doing it once a week, and am glad I did. Because my issues had gone on for so long, muscles in my right leg especially were weakened or shortened so if I had any hope of regaining some activities, pt was necessary. For several years I haven't been able to put on socks without aids, but now I can. And other things like that. My hip could heal without it, but my body wasn't going to regain those movements without it!

Sleep well, Monday will be here soon and you'll do great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@susan12369 .. WOW! No whisky restriction! Lucky you:loll: Sake is my passion (working on my sake sommelier certification) and cannot imagine an evening without it, in moderation of course.

It really is amazing how radically different all of the pre/post op protocols are depending on the surgeon/hospital. For example, I have absolutely no TED stocking requirements post hospital discharge. I requested them anyway. Then, only aspirin 2x daily for 4 weeks. NO narcotic pain meds prescribed only prescription anti-inflammatories. That said, I am allergic to Celebrex and they put patients on Toradol, cannot take Tramadol either as it interacts with a medication I am currently on. They will probably prescribe Oxy in my case.
 
@Lerwick8, I don't think I've ever had sake, and yes moderation is key - not just in booze but recovery too!

Yes, the differences are amazing. I didn't have or use any TED stockings post discharge. I thought about it after my second THR this summer since I was going on an 11 hour car ride 10 days after surgery, but even then didn't use them. I was up and walking, at least a few steps, every hour or so.

Pain meds are also very different, everyone's tolerance is different etc. I was on the 4 week aspirin regimen as well, plus Tylenol every 6 and oxy as needed. Now I take Tylenol twice a day and that's it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lerwick8 Hi, Bilateral Jim here. I had both done 3 years ago with the mini posterior method. I think you are going to be fine. I did this by myself at home and just took it as a vacation. The horrible pain was gone and i did nothing but walk and recover. I didn't do therapy and i drove to work on the 7-8th day. I was back to work on the fifth week. Keep positive and you will be fine! Good Luck to you!
 
@Michegon ...A brave bilateral soul!

Thank you for your encouragement. It means a lot!!! :)

Right now I am just stressing out on getting everything done so that it will all be in place when I get home from the hospital. So much to do and a bit tricky when one's pain level is high.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom