Guest viewing is limited

TKR IrishMike's Recovery Record No. 1 ready for No.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spider,

Thanks for your nice comments, I can't remember that last time that I was looking so forward to my summer holiday, it must have something to do with my RTKR, I guess.

How are you getting on, I think you are very brave to have a bilateral TKR with so much going on with both knees. We don't seem to do bilateral TKR here in Ireland much, my consultant was happy for me to do my 2nd knee after a few months but not both at the same time - he feels it is good to have one strong leg to "lean" on. My LTKR will be in September, 8 months after my right.

Take care

Mike
 
Hi Mike,
Its had its moments, but all in all - I'm really glad that once I am better that is it, no more surgery! I needed both done anyway, so it minimised recovery time off needed for work as well. There have been plenty of times I wished I had a good leg to lean on, but don't really regret having both done at once. My surgeon will only agree to do it with certain patients, so I'm lucky. Its not very common in Australia, and I was the only one in the hospital at the time.
I'm dreaming of summer holidays, its freezing and wintery in Aus at the moment, today was the coldest day in nearly a decade!! About 6 degrees C at my place. Dreaming of summer for sure!!

Tracy
 
Tracy,

I am pleased that BTKR is working well for you and by the time you get into August thing may start to improve quickly. Sounds like you will up and running just in time to enjoy the summer!

You should live in Ireland, we get very excited when the temperature gets to 18C in summer and it does not rain rain for 2 days! Cloudy days are treated as good weather in Ireland. So you can see why going to Spain with average temps 28C - 32C and cloud free make me feel happy.

Mike
 
:flwrysmile:@IrishMike "Conas ata tu ? (how are you in Irish)
Really enjoyed reading your six month Recovery Record, as I will be having LTKR on 17 July and was wondering what my knee could be like in six months time.
Realise that each individual progresses differently and recovery is unique for everyone.
But, got good indications from your Recovery Record.
Enjoy Spain, and I always say the difference between an Irish winter and an Irish summer, is that the rain is warmer in the summer !
Best wishes form Dublin.
 
@marmora,

Good luck with your op next week, hope all goes well for you. Where are you having it done?

I went to Santry Sports Clinic, Ray Moran was my surgeon. I will be doing the same combo in September.

It has been the best decision I have made in a long time - I just keep telling myself that this time next year I will be pain free and able to do all those things that I took for granted in the past!

Take care

Mike
 
Ha ha - I guess you guys have to pay some price for the beauty of the countryside. Lots of rain (although there is PLENTY at the moment), isn't common where I am. I'm living in the dryest state in Aus. Summer mostly clear 30-40 degrees. Spain sounds just perfect at the moment!! I hope your knee doesn't cause you much bother, and you can enjoy the holiday to the fullest.
 
Sadly back from holiday and at work!

Holiday was great and my knee was o.k. I took 2 pain killers each day for psychological reasons - didn't want to spoil the family's holiday due to me moaning etc.

Walked between 8 & 10km most days and spent hours in the swimming pool or sea. My knee started to ache towards the end of the holiday but I think that might be because I did not do any stretching for the 2 weeks.

For those interested, the sun, food & wine was great and I have come back a "bigger" man for it!

I start the boring gym exercises again tonight - I have to admit that the gym leaves me cold but is a means to an end (I hope). Onward and upwards

Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@IrishMike:walking:
Welcome home and reading your posts the family holiday sounded just what you & family needed !
Very impressed with the amount of walking you got in each day and swimming :swim:

Your recovery journal is very informative and with the first TKR behind you the second in September will hopefully go as well.

Your arrival back in Ireland seems to have coincided with the annual Croke Patrick climb ?!?!?!
Cathie in Dublin ( 11 days post-op)
 
Cathie,

Thanks for your comments.

Croagh Patrick would be a doddle compared to what I did when I got home on Saturday evening - we had mow the lawns, defrost the fridge/freezer & freezer, unpack & wash everything, food shopping, get ready for work on Monday, blah, blah, blah... and I had visions of sitting in the back garden continuing my holiday with a glass of wine in my hand and a relaxed smile on my face!

As they say, reality is nice but I wouldn't want to live there...

As a side note, you would be surprised at how much walking you would do on holiday especially if you have young kids - my phone has a pedometer (?) that tells me how many steps I take a day; average of 10,000 to 12,000 per day which it then converts to kms and calories burned or earned (depending on your view point). I take this as a reasonable estimation of my walking etc. In Ireland, I would normally walk about 3/4,000 steps per day but I sit for my job.

Take care

Mike
 
Went to the gym last night for one hour - 30 mins cross-Trainer & 30 mins stretching etc. burnt off some of the holiday excesses although I think that I will have to do a few more to get back to my pre-holiday state!

I had my pre-op medicals today in readiness for my LTKR in September. The countdown has started! I have a session with my OS on 25 August and then the operation on 9 September - something to look forward to...
 
@IrishMike
Hi Mike, you wasted no time getting back to your gym programme. With your surgery date scheduled for 9 September the time will fly after the August weekend is over.
Your night in the gym impressed me, at this stage it am patting myself on the back with my three 5 minute sessions on the pedal bike & getting full
 
Getting full rotation. Upwards and onwards each day & planning to Walk The Camino with friends in 2015 is my goal.
Take care
Cathie
 
Cathie,
You are doing far better than I was at 12 days! My knee was still very sore and I was taking it easy. It only really started to click for me after 4 weeks after my physio massaged out all the tightness in my muscles. So you have every right to pat yourself on the back.
The gym work started at about 10 weeks mainly because I am lazy and need a formal setting to do the exercises. It is also nice to feel fitter....
On the Camino, I also have said that I would like to walk it in the next few years. It looks like an amazing experience both physically and spiritually. With 2 new knees I may not stop walking and continue to the bottom of Spain!

Take care and have a good night's sleep

Mike
 
Going to the gym feels great doesn't it. For me its another 'back to normality' moment - I'm off their this morning. I"m sure with the countdown to your second op, you'll be focussed on making sure that No. 1 knee is feeling pretty good. Must admit to be kind of glad to have done both - I'd hate to be facing another!!
 
Spider,

I am not a fan of the gym, most of my past training was with football teams etc. running around a pitch getting fit, but it is great to be able to do some controlled exercise and feel the buzz of getting some form of fitness again - I haven't done any competitive/casual sport since 1990 because I had problems with my knees.

My experience with my right knee has been reasonably good, therefore, if my left knee goes the same way I will be very happy. So I am not too worried about the operation, I am happy that I have a "good" leg to support my left knee.

How are you getting on? are you now able to be more mobile? are you enjoying the gym and feel developments/improvements each time you go?

Take care

Mike
 
Hi Mike,
I was always a competitive sport person as well - netball and basketball are what caused my knees to die their slow death, so I understand. I had to stop sport at about the age of 30, so I think gym stuff was all I could do. Riding horses is what I am aiming to get back to though! I am enjoying going to the gym - simply because it is making me feel more active. I did a bit more this time than last, so I felt good today. Luckily I go to a gym where I'm comfortable fumbling around, walking slowly and doing very little with weights at the moment!! :)
I can understand being happy to have one good leg to stand on, I'm sure it would make a huge difference. I'm happy both of mine are done now though :)

tracy
 
Went to the gym again last night (I try to go about 3 times a week if possible) and did my usual - 30 mins on the Cross -Trainer, lots of stretches and resistance training (normally as a circuit) and finished off with 30 mins on the bike. Most of my holiday excesses are wearing off, sadly my holiday already feels like a long ago, as it always does by now.

I have been having a couple of niggles with my knee which has been causing me a little discomfort. The niggles are:
  • Clicking sound after I fully straighten my leg and bend it again (only started in the last week or so). I assume that this must be a common complaint. I would be grateful for any advice or links to threads on this.
  • There is a scraping sound under my knee cap when I bend my knee, has anyone else experienced this after, say, 7 months and how did they correct it etc.
I had a session with my physio this morning and we worked mainly on my tight hamstrings, I think that these will always be my problem so I will be stretching for the rest of my life! My knee feels a lot better for the session.

His thoughts on the above complaints:
  • The clicking sound - he doe not think that it is a real problem but suggests that maybe I may not have/be getting much synovial fluid into my joints, it does reduce as you get older and my operation may have had an effect on its production etc. He suggests that I start taking synovial fluid supplements/tablets. I will visit my pharmacist when I finish work for advice. Can anyone advise/suggest good products?
  • The scraping sound - he feels that I may have inflamed the area below/around my knee cap during my holiday from the walking and swimming. So no Cross -Trainer & bike for the next two weeks (there is always a silver lining..) and get some anti-inflammatory tablets from my doctor. Hopefully it will settle down during that time.
I am seeing my OS in 3 weeks time, so if my knee hasn't improved, I will discuss it with him then.

Any advice, help or thoughts will be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike
 
Hi there, I am SO envious of your recovery but also VERY pleased for you.
Have a wonderful holiday and very best wishes for your op' in September.
Sparkie
 
:hi: @IrishMike
Well it's the Bank Holiday weekend for us ! Hope that you have a few nice activities , although dont think there will be any bar-b-que - at least here in Dublin !
:treadmill::upright:Your three times per week Gym programme is very impressive and sure that Ray Moran will also be impressed.
Can provide àny advice on the clicking sound or supplement for synovial fluid - your chemist should be able to advise. It can be annoying feeling a difference or problem and not knowing the cause and or solution. But, you will be seeing your OS in a few weeks.
Enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend !
:cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom