Guest viewing is limited

TKR Into the third week post TKR. . . Successes and challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's too early for you to have MUA accordingly to our collective experience. Maybe you want to have one, but you are progressing albeit slowly. Even a couple of degrees a week adds up (10 weeks = 20 degrees)! I personally think you should wait and reconsider in September and to also stop the "hard work" part of PT that is pushing your bend. On an inflamed knee, that can and will backfire. The other thing about MUA at this point is the re-injury of newly injured soft tissues from your TKR. That tight clenchiness of your knee is swelling due to that original injury. Josephine can explain it better than I can.
 
I agree. You are only 5 weeks out and still in that 'angry tissue' stage when swelling and pain will very effectively block your ROM. The likelihood is that this is all you have, not adhesions, scar tissue or whatever other name you want to give it. Evidence shows that an MUA done too early can actually may actually backfire and cause MORE swelling and pain and therefore stall your recovery.

Read these
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS).
 
Got to drive today! Felt very normal and was glad to get out and about. Went to REI and got some new sneakers on sale to celebrate the new knee. Even though I am going in on Tuesday for an MUA, I feel optimistic. This will be good.
 
Yay to driving!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom