Guest viewing is limited

TKR Into the third week post TKR. . . Successes and challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heehee, here's one from a silly doctor who obviously lives in my state, given the South Carolina throw on her couch :)

 
I wasn't shown how to use it properly, but did watch and read some things online. I just went and bought it at the drugstore today. My partner is going out of town tomorrow for a week and I wanted to have this for the next level - hopefully my next PT appointment. I am cheating a bit, but it really feels much more like real walking than the crutch so I have been using it for most of the day. NOT up and down stairs yet, but for walking flat.
 
Hello dhenry,
Thank you for the suggestion you gave me on my thread :) your right, I only go out to do banking & such.
I need some fun & socializing in my life :spin:
I am hoping to go back to work August 19, I know then I will be much happier :happydance:
I wish you well in your recovery & will check in on you.
Very nice to meet you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, Diana.

Good luck to you in your recovery as well . . . And your return to work soon!
 
Remember for stairs: "up with the good, down with the bad." Ascending, the order is cane, good leg, surgical leg; descending, it's cane, surgical leg, good leg. One stair-step at a time--don't alternate steps foot-over-foot yet. Slow going at first but you'll get there.
 
Today I am having some very different pain in my leg. It's a sharp, shooting pain on the outside of my leg - mid femur streaking pain to the head of the femur. Ilio-tibial band territory. This is really different than the pain I have been having. So far, my typical pain has been a more dull, achy pain on the inside of my knee in the tibia- femur area. OUCH! Have taken Oxy for it because ice doesn't make it stop. Started last night while sleeping and went on and off today. Took another Oxy so I can hopefully get some sleep. Not sure what this is or if I might have done something to make it angry on the outside.
 
DHenry Stopping by to say hello and wish you well. Sounds like you are making forward progress. There is so much to be learned from the folks here!

When will you plan to go back to school? I am an elementary PE teacher and a little anxious about returning end of August. Also, just want to chime in how much nuts (particularly almonds) and dried fruit were amazingly effective in the digestive process for me after my 2nd surgery. I also have at least 2 TBL of ground flax seed each day, so I have been regular since about day 5. HUGE improvement from my first surgery where it took weeks.

Stay positive and work smart!
PJ
 
Last year I got those shooting IT band pains in both legs, probably from sleeping with both of them elevated for long periods of time, hemmed in by my cats. (Moving the legs every now & then eventually caused that to stop). It could also be referred pain from nerve pathways that were severed during surgery reconnecting (a sort of power surge). Does your OS have you on gabapentin or a similar drug for nerve pain, besides your regular painkiller? You might want to discuss that, as those sorts of pains occurred less often this time because of the gabapentin I was on for the first four weeks.
 
PJ ( Ready) -

I am also an Elementary PE teacher! . . . and I am very concerned about going back - it will be about 8 -1/2 weeks post surgery. All of the kids know that I had this surgery this summer and they will be as careful as they can, but the new kindergarteners . . . well . . . . you know how that can be energy-wise ;)

I am more concerned about my energy level or making a sudden movement than I am about being on my feet or not being able to ice. I can sit down if I need to - the kids are very understanding - to take breaks and I will have a couple of opportunities to ice, but as I have read posts from others here who may not even have jobs as demanding as this, it is hard at first - the energy everything takes. I talked with my principal at the end of the year and he knew this would be cutting it close since my surgery date was moved back two weeks. I told him I wanted to play it by ear, but we are already prepared for the potential of half-days for a while or having an assistant. Just not sure what to expect. Will know a little better as we get closer.

My teacher concern - as you are well aware - is about missing the beginning of the year - the time when routines and expectations and building excitement all come into play - especially with my new students. I will just have to put my teacher hat aside if it comes to that and let my knee be the boss. (Easy to type, but it will be harder to do). One of the problems is that I love my students, staff, and job so much, that I will easily get distracted/into what I am doing and not even notice the knee until it is too far in. (That's what I have been for the last decade to make it through). I am practicing working on listening right now and I hope that will come in handy! Good luck to you!!!!! Let me know what you are thinking about doing (return to school). We start meetings August 22 and the kids come back Sept. 4.
 
Dulcimer Diva (Sandy) -

The shooting pains feel like power surges! I imagine a star wars laser-like sound when they happen. They didn't come back last night and (knock on wood) I haven't had them today. . .

I am only needing Oxycodon (5mg) an hour before PT or if something like these nervy blasts are happening. I have been able to wean myself off of Oxy for the most part which has really helped my energy level, appetite, plumbing, . . . I feel better off of Oxy, but am still going to use it when I need to.

Nothing else was prescribed for pain except Tylenol which I am using regularly (no more than 3000 mg). Tylenol helped me the most pre-surgery for 28 years, so I think my body is used to that.

I was wondering if so much time on my back (with legs elevated as you suggested) and sitting is doing something to my nerves . . . ??? My lower back has certainly been less than happy with me, so maybe this is connected??
 
Agreed... staying on my back so much has really angered it, (now icing both knee and lower back!), and if my legs stay straight, the nerves, well, they get on my nerves!
I can't wait to get back to my chiropractor in a couple of weeks!
here's hoping we are all past this very soon! ;)
 
I got to 92 degrees flexion! Finally! Woooooo hooooo!
I made it to 85 on my own (before I could only get there after lots of massaging and manipulation by the PT) and then made it past the elusive 90 degree mark. Good!

I meet with the surgeon again next Thursday, five weeks in, so I still have a great deal of work to do, but man, this feels like a huge milestone! It can be done!
 
Hi DHenry, I'm 9 days post-op now and finally able to spend a little time catching up on BS. I had a pretty rough time the first week with nausea and pain until the meds got straightened out. I also lived in Seattle for 6 years and left in 1990 also kicking and screaming much like Dulcimer Diva. After moving around the country, including Chicago, for my husband's job we have landed in Flagstaff, AZ which I also loved. We have a beautiful mountain in sight, but it's flat by our home. I too was pretty swollen, but have followed the BS mantra and additionally have tried eating foods such as watermelon, and asparagus which are natural diuretics, plus limiting my salt of course. I can't say if the foods have helped for sure, but I'm doing much better keeping the swelling down now ghat I can eat again, which really is making a difference in my ability to bend. I really understand how nice it is to get out. We stopped at the grocery store on the way home from PT and my husband got the electric cart for me to drive around in...amazing how much I'm loving little things like the grocery store. I'm also taking a few of those"ugly steps" around the house and walking with one crutch, getting ready to move to a cane soon. I'm looking forward to following your story as we move through this. Joyce
 
Travlingirl04 (Joyce) -
Nine days in - congratulations! Tomorrow is my fourth week and I can really see how, over each week, this gets better. There are some setbacks but mostly gains. Mostly gains. This is definitely a hard road to travel, but I can already start to see the other side at 4 weeks and am starting to be hopeful about recovery. This website has been helpful as a reality check and I have gotten some great pieces of practical advice. Glad to meet you and good luck as we go through this - all of us - together!

:friends:
 
I go in tomorrow morning for a PT session, then x-rays, and the 5 week visit with my surgeon. At my last PT session on Wednesday I maintained my 95 degree flexion and then, with some work, we eked out a few more degrees to 97. This seems like slow progress 5 weeks in, but I am happy that I am not losing flexion and am accepting that my recovery is just going a little slowly. I AM concerned about my extension - I was able to keep 0 degrees for a couple of weeks and now I have backslid to 8 degrees. It seems my knee wants to go back to its old familiar/comfortable bent state. Man!

I am preparing myself to hear tomorrow that I may need an MUA. Not really excited about that, but I know my kneecap has been really stubborn and stuck and my PT has really been doing lots of massage to loosen everything up in there so I can get some kneecap glide. Waiting to see what tomorrow brings. . .
 
DHenry

Just stopping by to say hello! :) I've read through your thread. Your flexion doesn't sound bad. My extension comes and goes. I don't know if it is normal, but mine has gone from 10 to 3 and back to 5 then back again to 3. I hope your doctor doesn't talk about MUA. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow!

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
Hey Everyone,
Wanted to update you on my recovery a little.

Ok . . . I guess I knew this was coming. . . I have to have an MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia) on Tuesday the 13th. Man, I was really hoping to avoid this, but I am stuck - literally. My body has decided to form some very strong/resistant scar tissue/adhesions inside my knee capsule which is preventing me from regaining the range of motion I need.

While this may seem like a setback, I am hoping it will launch me forward into getting the range of motion back that I need to do my job (and have some quality of life). The tight clenchiness of my knee is about to burst and then I can move forward. Sigh. Trying to take the long view.

Going to try and soak up a little of the gorgeous sunshine that is streaming into my backyard and focus on that.

:umm:
 
Hi DHenry, I'm sorry this is happening for you, but I admire how well you are approaching it in doing what you know must be done for your recovery. Wishing you all the best...enjoy the sun...I remember From my years in Seattle how important it is take advantage of every sunny day:-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom