THR Intermittent pain around greater trochanter area<

Slept pretty well last night - and in bed the entire time. Started off the day with a pain pill in the morning and will take one at bedtime - just two today. Good energy and good mobility. 10 days out and big improvement today. Im sure The bettet sleep last night helped.
 
So jealous, but happy for you, that you found the sandman this early out.:sleep:
Wonderful healing restorative sleep.
Great update!
Onward and upward!:egypdance:
 
Slept fairly good again last night. Today having nore soreness in hip, groin, and knee. Mostly when weight bearing. The knee aches that have diminished have been replaced by more sharper pains. I think the type of pain changed as the swelling went down in knee area. Everyday is a surprise.
 
It is a surprise! Here today, gone tomorrow.
Lucky you....you're getting some decent sleep overnight.
You sound pretty normal for eleven days out.
Don't forget icing and elevating to help with the pain and swelling.
A great week to you!
@sabrejet60
 
The pain does morph as we get more mobile...hey wait, now this is sore...well, now what...never had this before...:shrug:
And then, a zinger from nowhere.

Am we can do is see if there is a particular activity aggravating something or night just be regular old recovery mess.
Normal for early days...hang in there. Keep icing it up!
Hope today is a Good Day:)
 
I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others but I had my LTHR 3 days before you and i'm still in a lot of pain. I take 7-8 Oxy every day, including 4 every night, and still have a level 6 pain very often. You seem to be doing very well. Just remember this is a long process so try to be patient.
 
I am really grateful for how well I am recovering. Tallguy79 - hang in there. While I am not having as much pain as you, I know from this surgery and my prior THR that big improvements can come quickly and I pray you have some big improvements soon!
 
Just an update...

Now 16 days out. Pain is minimal, sleeping better at night, and even slept on my side for a while with very little discomfort. Might take a pain pill before bed tonight, might not - wait and see. Using the walker in the house most of the time - Dr. wants me to use it until follow up this coming Tuesday to ensure that I don’t fall. I use the cane when going to the basement or outside to get the mail or take a short walk in the driveway and I use it as a “light” support. Sometimes I’ll be doing something in the house and start walking and realize I’m not even using the cane. All good.

My main complaint now is that I have the “energy drain,” feeling a little bit nauseated and lack of appetite most of the time, and feel a little depressed. I’m sure much is from just sitting around all day. Started getting increases in energy and reduction in pain about three or four days ago so I started doing more and moving around more, which I think is causing the energy drain and the other symptoms.

So, other than fatigue, all seems to be going very well!
 
Really normal especially after all that adrenaline rush leaves from the oh my stars...surgery
And oh thank heavens I did it.
Meds, healing, all take it out of you
Post op blues are real.
But another temporary condition.
Hang in there, you'll get there.:loveshwr:
 
The good and the bad.

First the good. This coming Thursday will mark five weeks since surgery. At four weeks I was able to ditch the cane completely. There is some soreness and stiffness, and my knee will hurt a bit at times when walking, but it feels normal for recovery. I have been waking outside daily at a conservative pace, sometimes around 15 minutes, other times over 30 minutes. I’m doing all the normal things around the house like laundry, dishes, cooking, taking care of the cats, etc. - especially this week since my wife is away. I even washed the cars. I’m careful with the movements and none of these activities have caused any more pain. Hip wise, I do feel improvement on most days. Only take one tylenor or a naproxen daily for pain.

Now the not so good. For the last four days or so I haven’t felt too good. Had a headache for a couple of days (I have had headaches in the past), feel tired, and feel a little nauseated more than I would like. Appetitite has decreased also. The prior week it seemed my appetite grew and for a couple of those days and I ate more than I should have. Now it is the opposite. I have malaise, stomach queasy for at least half of the day, and I feel depressed (some in part to thinking about going back the “real world” the week after next).

My incision area looks good, no new pains - feeling improvement as time goes on. Have not had any fever since surgery. I remember my first surgery in 2011 - at the four week mark I remember having a lot of energy and feeling good. So, as a worrier, not feeling that great rigt now is just making it worse.

Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Hope you feel better. At about 5 weeks I caught a good cold that morphed into a sinus infection. At the time it was horrible but looking back just another set back. We're definitely tuned in to our bodies in recovery and everything is huge especially because we just want to get this over with. I'd say rest and correct diet and call GP to be sure.
 
:) :-) (:I know my appetite wasn't too great for several months after surgery, and ditto with mild headaches, but dont know why yours is just coming about?
I also was still on my pain meds and attribute a good bit of that to taking them.
Are you off all of your meds?

Possibly your immune system is a little weak and you picked up some small bug...maybe your wife carried home with her...not enough to affect her but jumped on you.
Stay hydrated...as those headaches can also happen when I dont have enough liquid in me.
Sure hope you feel better soon...:console2:

GLAD your hips are happy!:) :-) (:
 
:wave: @sabrejet60
Just wondering how you were doing?
Many describe their recoveries as strikingly different...so don't stress too much over the differences when using first THR as a point of reference.
Do pop in and let us know how things are going!
Wishing you a peaceful Weekend!:ice:
 
Hip is doing fine. Walk about 30 minutes most days, with mild soreness, and I am able to do all things that I want to do with no problems - wash car, clean around the house, etc. My knee seems to still be aggravated from the surgery and will hurt a little after walking for a while. The only frustrations I really have, and mostly from this past week, are being tired, malaise, and some loss of appetite. I just feel out of it and I wake up very tired. And being a worrier, I worry about it and I think that makes it worse. Once I get up I go about my businesess but just feel not quite right. I’ve been off work since May 23rd and will go back the week of July 9th, and maybe all the lack of regular activity and life has got me down a bit and made me a bit depressed. Hopefully this week I will perk up. But, this being my third hip operation I feel the surgery recovery is going very well, except for the tiredness and my mood. And I should mention that prior to surgery there would be times where I would feel tired, and I think it may be related to mild depression.
 
Last edited:
Aww, try not to worry. You experienced major surgery just weeks ago.
I've heard of appetite loss, as well as increased appetite.

I think you're suffering a little Energy Drain. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless.
So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first
not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It's completely normal to feel tired
for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Here's an article on Energy Drain -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Re-read this one on Post Op Blues too...from the Recovery Article
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

Hope this helps. Wishing you a great day!
@sabrejet60
 
Recovery just gets Old!
Don't worry...you've been through alot but the payoff will be worth it.
Hang in there!:friends:
 
@sabrejet60
Washing the car etc sounds like great general strides in progress and something to be very. proud of. As for the malaise, I can offer some tips from here that have helped me and hopefully might help you.

I don't know what part of the country you live in but I'm in LA, CA - always sunny- and have found a tremendous benefit mood wise and general health wise, from taking a minimum of 10-15 mins / day to simply sit in the sun on my deck and ...listen to the birds, take in the nature around me, and ...CHILL. I swear, after these sessions, I feel less pain, more energy and more endorphins. Not to mention the benefits of the added Vitamin D. If you have a yard area, also, it's good to "ground" - meaning walk barefoot in the earth for awhile or on the grass. If you meditate, or even if you don't, focus on your breathing being slow, natural, deep and easy - not forced. Focus on a deep relaxing of each muscle group and, while you're at it, focus on anything and everything that gives you joy in your life. From the simple to the sublime. A favorite tree, song, friend, loved one, activity, the clouds, your dog...whatever. Soak in those things and even if you can only hold those feelings for 17 seconds minimum....it's proven they will reignite your brain chemistry and....mood. It's very simple yet very powerful if you practice this daily. Wishing you much success and the return of simple joy!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom