TKR I'm Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay I have been doing great because of this site and all of the good advice. Now I' m having a problem I' m fine all day no pain ice after exercising taking only aleeve twice a day. my problem i can't get comfortable in bed at night. I am a side sleeper and my knee seems no to like the pressure. I realy can' t say i' m in pain just uncomfortable any body have suggestions? Will this go away with time? just wondering.
 
Hi Redbird,
My knee took a long time before I could handle the pressure in side sleeping. I find acetaminophen (1000 mg) before bed, or when I wake up at night helps me sleep, be sure you count up your dose before taking more. You are still early in your recovery so it may take awhile longer.
 
Yeah, acetaminophen does help sleep and pain.

People don't think of pressure as pain but it is in fact mild pain. Consider a dose of your leftover narcotic pain med, even half a tab, at bedtime. Yes it all gets better in time. A year from now you'll notice that you've had improvement over the previous month. This recovery is definitely long term.
 
I like to have my operated knee flat on the bed when on my side (even when doing my heel slides, this tends to keep the leg straight as I used a strap to pull it towards my butt) with a pillow between my knees. Then when I rolled over to the other side, the pillow was still between my knees cushioning it.
 
I have the same problem if I lay on my side. I am a side sleeper also. I can lay on my side a few hours longer now than what I could a few weeks ago. But still can not sleep all night that way. I am fortunate enough to have a elevating bed so I can get nice and comfy laying on my back by elevating my legs all night. I have no pain that way and can sleep good. I would rather lay on my side and I know it will come in time but for now this works real well. An older friend of ours passed away and he owned this bed. My son moved out on his own and took his bed so we needed a bed so my wife wanted to buy this one, I was aganst it ( why would we ever need a bed like that) but now very glad we did. I would probally have to sleep in a recliner with out it. I elevate my legs alot in it and I think that is why I'm doing so well.
 
Thank you so much for the answers. I will heed your advice. Thank you.
 
Yup side sleeper here too. I was able to sleep on my side, operative and the good one by using a well stuffed king pillow. It's long enough that my top leg is supported all the way to my ankle. I also have a tempurpedic bed and maybe that's why it was okay to be on my operative leg since it kind of sinks in. I can't believe you are only taking Aleve for your pain! I hope that happens with me in another two weeks.
 
I realy can' t say I'm in pain just uncomfortable any body have suggestions? Will this go away with time? just wondering.
Pain, discomfort - what's the difference? You are only 4 weeks out from MAJOR surgery and for several more weeks your body still needs pain meds. You also need to go back here and read the recovery articles again.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm Home
 
Redbird, maybe you can't get comfortable at night because you are only taking tylenol during the day. I'm thinking if you take the percocet 4-6 hrs. before bed, that the last dose you take before going to bed will be more effective. If the moderators of this site feel this advice is incorrect, please post it. I'm just guessing, based on past experience.
 
:thankyou:Thank you everyone for the advice. I started taking two Tylenol at bed time and I'm now more comfortable. I ride my bike out doors every day and now riding four miles a day. I'm going to try to go longer this week, I can't say how much I have enjoyed this site and all the valuable information. You guys are the Greatest!:yay::thankyou:
 
Titianlady said:
Well, you must have had the "best surgeon" in the world if you are riding 4 miles outside at only 7 days out of surgery!!

No, she would be over one month post surgery, but your comment still applies! Individual luck!
 
Sounds like you are doing well, redbird!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom