TKR I'm Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree--don't compare yourself to others, there are so many things that affect recovery. People like me who have MIS surgery tend to do things faster in the beginning. Eventually everyone catches up. I also found it easier to go backwards, that will probably be your first direction!! Just slow and easy wins the race. Kelly
 
I was on the bike twice this week in PT, just five minutes and I only rocked back and forth. It is so exciting to me because the motivating factor in getting my BTKR was that I wanted to ride my bike again. I am also checking Craig's list for a bike to have at home. Keep up the good work everyone! :bicycle1:
 
:thankyou:TKR Buddies,I'm listening to my knee when it hurts i stop. I' m not going to push i do not want to go backwards. I try to read all the forums in here everyone has some much to give andy you learn from everyone!!:thankyou:
 
Great news:egypdance:I made my stionary bike around!:happydance:I'm so excited I just had to share the news! right now I ' m icing I can' t believe I did it! It's this site what else can it be?:thankyou:
 
I do alot of biking too and for me it was 5 days post-op during my first PT session. I think if you do a lot of biking there is a lot of "muscle memory" and that makes it easier. Which was one of the reasons why I did so much biking prior to the surgery!
 
Hi Redbird, wonderful feeling isn't it. Well done.
 
tkr buddies i have a question? How long did it take before you could get that pedal to go around? I'm three weeks post op and yesterday i got on it for the first time, scarey:yikes: The pt told me just sit and rock and hold and do every day at least four times a day What do think? I value everyones opinion :thankyou:​


Nothing scary about it---I had a BTKR and I was about three weeks as well when I had the first revolution. Remember the idea of patience---recovery can be slower and more frustrating than we would like it to be---and that we all recover a different rates. You will arrive at your destination of being totally recovered and fully functional---but that schedule is set by your knee, and not you.

One must consider what has happened to the knee---the surgical trauma is tremendous---and to get a revolution at three weeks is marvelous!
 
Redbird,
I was at 3 weeks the first time they tried me on the bike, they said get on and ride, so I did. Right around the first try and for about 3to4 minutes. I think I was just unaware that you should be able to do that, nobody had told me about rock back and forth. Needless to say the PT stood there in awe as I was pedalling away.

My PT just told me go as far as I was comfortable going. No problem stopping. Got half way around and some invisible imp stabbed me in the knee. All my flexion exercises are that way. I bend to a certain point, them very painful stab, unless I go very, very slowly. I'm getting more "bendy" though! Hahaha!
 
I was really jammy! I tried my bike on day 10 or thereabouts, then again day 20 and managed a few rocks each time. Only tried about 10 at the most and then gave up. Day 25 I got on and managed about 10 full rotations and then ..... well, don't think I used it any more as I find using an upright bike a bit of a
[Bonesmart.org] I'm Home
even when I am able to watch TV at the same time! But I did pretty well anyway and in that, I may just have been extremely lucky. Either that or I had the bestest knee surgeon in the district!
 
I find that riding a bike is a great way to recover. I ride my stationery bike for 30 min every day in the am, just to warm up the knee. Can only watch tv if I am pedaling!! So, in the evenings, I sometimes get in an hour. TV watching is exhausting in our house.
 
I can't remember when I made it all the way around- 2- maybe 3 weeks? I do remember my PT telling me to stop lifting my hips every time I tried to circle around as I would lift every single time!
Pedaling backwards was a big hit for me in the beginning. I felt like I was accomplishing something major!
 
:thankyou:for everyones imput. I have now made resoluions with my bike. But,i only do it until the knee says stop:gaah:and i stop. Questiois that when i sould stop or shouldi put my sself on a timer and keep goin for five or ten minutes? Just wkndering?
 
I was amazed and very happy that I got all the way around last Friday 6.5 weeks.:happydance:I will have to try to stay more centered though I seem to raise my left hip to get around. I try not to over do it. I find it much easier going forwards than backwards.
 
I was three weeks on one and two days later on the other. But every one gets there. If you are raising your hip, it would be better to raise the seat so you can do it "cleanly", according to my PT - I did the same thing at first. Congrats to all the newly revolved!
 
Although Paul is still unable to stand on his own, this past Saturday the PT put him on one of those pedal only things---and he was able to go all the way around the first time and continue for about 10 minutes. He was all smiles---every "little" milestone makes a BIG difference.
 
:thankyou:Again i appreciate everyones imput. I think I'm doing ok. I cann't seem to stay on very long befor it starts hurting, but than again i'm only taking aleeve in the morning and at night no narcarotics seem to be doing ok. I CANN'T SAY I'm in pain at night I just cann't get comfortable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom