Guest viewing is limited

THR I'm Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends,
I'm sorry I didn't get back on before now. I had a busy few days. I want to tell you all my experience and I hope it helps. I'm so grateful to find this group. It's helped me a lot. As I mentioned, the Percocet,toradol and something else were making me dizzy & nauseated. So my nurse decided to stagger my meds to ease it. Then I was due for my meds at 10pm Thursday and I was asleep so they didn't wake me. I woke up at 10:20 on fire. Terrible pain. I know what my surgeon meant now when he said to not let the pain get ahead of you,to take it every 4 hours. They were very kind and put a dose of dilauded in my iv. It took 5-10 minutes to take effect. Felt like forever.

So please be careful to take your meds on time. They were giving me the Zelfren(?) from the beginning for the nausea but it was pretty yucky anyway. It's much better now. Except for the terrible episode Thursday night, I haven't had any pain. Some stiffness and discomfort when I walk but not at all bad. My family says I'm already walking much better. I don't have the side to side hip waddle, I'm told. the lightheaded,dizzy feeling is much better and this morning was the last time I took the zelfren(?). My big problem has been constipation from the narcotics. If I didn't go by the morning, I would have to call the Dr. Finally, success tonight. Senna, milk of magnesia, tons of water and veggies, activia yogurt. Thankfully, got this done.

I was worried before my surgery how I'd do when I got home. My sofa and chairs are very low and my bed is also. My husband came to pt in the hospital with me Friday and decided we should get a power recliner. It's been the best!! It moves so I can adjust myself when I get a twinge without having to pull my body. The chair does it. And sleeping on it is a pleasure. I'm not a back sleeper so this is great because I can raise or lower the back for comfort. And I can easily keep my legs elevated. If you're able to do this, I recommend it highly. Btw, my surgery site hasn't hurt at all. It's covered with a waterproof dressing. I hope this helps anyone facing THR.

Take care and goodnight,everyone
 
@sandyx7
What a great report! I'm with you on the pain meds. If it was one thing I did in the hospital, it was ringing those nurses around the clock for them. Reading about your experience makes me happy that I did so! The recliner is most definitely the ticket. If I didn't have my hospital bed, I would have set up roost in my recliner. No way could I have slept comfortably in my bed that first week or so. So good to see how well you're doing after straightening out that nasty nausea blip. Hugs!
 
@Cynthia777
We're def on the same page. It's so important to get those meds on time. My surgeon lectured me about it but I was concerned about the nausea. I'll take the nausea. And the hospital bed must be wonderful. I'm so happy to be laying in my recliner right now and feeling comfy. I'm a little stiff tonight. I've been trying to get up and walk around the house some every 2 hours or so. Maybe I didn't do it enough today or maybe it's normal for now, about 2 1/2 days later. It's nothing terrible. I hope you're feeling good, Cynthia. How're you doing? How's your other hip?
 
@sandyx7
So happy you are doing well and getting the pain meds adjusted. I think I may get one of those power recliners. We have recliners but they are the type where you have to press on the foot section to lower the feet part. Kinda nervous about where I am going to sleep.
Looking forward to reading more from your recovery.
Have a blessed evening
 
I'm with you on taking the nausea over the pain. I can't tell you how nice it is having the hospital bed and the lift recliner. Fortunately I was able to purchase them both for $400 (used...but I threw the mattress away cos the lady who owned it had passed away :yikes:). I bought a new mattress for $79 and a fabulous mattress topper for $97. I figured since I have to have both hips done and I can resell some of the items and recoup about $400, it was worth the investment.

Ahhh, yes, the stiffness. I really never experienced any pain per se, but I did get a bit stiff in the evenings. Since my OS never felt I needed PT, I started a walking program in my backyard (I think I was about 10 days out when I started). I began slow (once around our pool) and gradually increased a lap about every other day (in the beginning I only walked every other day). This has really worked well for me and now I'm walking about 1/3 of a mile each day (the scenery gets a bit boring....lol). I experienced the stiffness every night if it was a walking day and that's why I rested the next day. This has really served me well, as the stiffness has now abated. I just listened to my body as recommended here on BS.

I'm still using my walker because my other hip is telling me it's jealous that it hasn't been replaced yet (it's been acting up the more I walk). :heehee:

I can just see you in your recliner, all snug as a bug in a rug. Hugs my friend...:friends:
 
@Arlene56
I think you will be very happy if you purchase the chair. I found one (barely used) on craigslist for $200. It's been worth every penny. I trod to and fro, from my hospital bed to my lift recliner, so I have two areas that I would consider my daytime "nest" and my nighttime "nest". :egypdance:
 
So glad you are doing better, the Percocet was making me pretty sick too so I asked my nurse to see if I could get something less strong, that was about a week ago, she wasn't too sure but told me if the med she called in wasn't strong enough to call and let her know and she would get a prescription for something stronger, but its been fine, they acted like they were all surprised I was doing so well with just it for pain when I went in for my first checkup..
My hip hasn't hurt me at all just my knee, and it feels really "tight" in the evenings, the stiffness isn't bad at all.
I guess I'm different I can take the pain over the nausea lol..
The incision is a little itchy but not bad after that time I broke out and quit the anti-biotic I was on, my son finished his third round of prednisone for the allergic reaction to penecyllin and finally he isn't breaking out now so hubby is getting a break lol.. He said he was even starting to itch watching us lol..
 
@Josephine
I'm very sorry about the multiple tagging. I had no clue. I'll def not do it again:(.
I'm doing pretty well today, day 4 from surgery. I'm still having some dizziness/nausea from the Percocet. I get up from my recliner every hour and a half to two hours for my overactive bladder. It turns out that this is a convenient affliction right now. Every time I get up to pee, I walk around my kitchen and come back to do the few exercises I have. I'm eagerly waiting to see how well I can walk on my unoperated hip. My family says I'm not doing the 'hip waddle' anymore. I am walking stiffly, and slowly,which I know is normal this early. I had my left hip done and I'm hoping my right hip,which was at 25% will work well. My dr. said everyone is different and I may be good for years or it may deteriorate quickly. I'm very optimistic. I hope everyone's feeling good tonight:)
 
@Cynthia777
How're you doing tonight? It's 9:30 here and I'm all tucked into my recliner. Its such a gift to feel no pain.
I hope your 'other' hip is behaving. Hugs:)
 
Good report Sandy (except the nausea and dizziness). Do you eat a few saltines before you take your meds? This helped me completely avoid the nausea issue. I'm with you on the the bathroom trips (I'm especially disliking the two or so middle of the night trips). In a few more days, I think you're going to see a vast improvement with your mobility. How cool that you don't have that "waddle" any longer! I'm praying you un-op hip holds up for a very long time. I'm doing very well overall, but I am feeling a bit more pain in the un-op hip (I am so looking forward to getting it out of the way, so I can enjoy walking again. However, tomorrow I have to have an ultrasound done and I'm NOT looking forward to drinking 32 ounces of water in 15 minutes and holding it in my bladder for over an hour! :yikes: ....Hugs!
 
@sandyx7 Good for you taking the slow and steady approach. I works every time! Sounds like you are well on your way with this recovery!
 
Hi Sandy, I'm glad to hear (and honestly envious) that your recovery has been pain-free! I agree with @Cynthia777 that eating a few saltines prior to taking your meds should help with the nausea.

My family says I'm not doing the 'hip waddle' anymore.

I had to LOL at the "hip waddle". When my bf and I would go out for walks, since I didn't complain about how much pain I was in, he said that he would have to gauge my pain by how much I would waddle! When we were walking around over the weekend I was complaining about how I was walking funny with my cane. He lovingly reminded me that I had a more funny walk before surgery with the waddle.
 
[QUOTE="Cynthia777, post: 883663, member: 17554"]However, tomorrow I have to have an ultrasound done and I'm NOT looking forward to drinking 32 ounces of water in 15 minutes and holding it in my bladder for over an hour! :yikes:[/QUOTE]
Eek I can't even hold a thimblefull of tea in my bladder for any time at all. I've mentioned before now that actually I am convinced I have an internal funnel, which goes directly to my bladder. Nothing is absorbed - just straight down the middle. Makes car journeys fun. HOWEVER, since @bettifloss recommended the Sheewee I've purchased one. I test drove it in the shower and it's great. Apparently they're useful postOp if we cannot find a suitable loo with raised seat (not that I actually sit on public loos you understand - I hover) I thought it would come in handy for walks across the Peak District (which I anticipate I will be able to do in the not too distant future) They come in all sorts of girly colours but having read the reviews the NATO Green came highly recommended as it is less likely to draw attention when out in the wilds. So I went for it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi friends, tonight I'm 11 days post op and I've remained pretty much pain free,but I'm trying to wean myself from the Percocet, instead of 2 tablets, I take 1. I'm trying to stop the Percocet because of my stomach issues. I was really constipated right after the surgery and I wasn't able to go until the 3rd day and it was very painful and I bled. I upped my water and it was better for a day or 2. Straining and some bleeding again. The last 3 days I've been doing activia, water, lentils, psyllium. So no constipation. Now I have lots of gas, diarrhea and some stomach ache. Anyone else have this? I'm walking every hour & a half to 2 hours because I have to empty my bladder that often. My oab is good for something:). And I'm doing the few exercises they give me. I can walk and I walk with the walker. My left hip,the operated one, is definitely so much better. We don't know if my right hip will be ok. My surgeon hopes that it'll be ok because we fixed the left hip so it's wait & see. I have my 2 week postop Wednesday & I hope all is good.
 
Hi Sandy!
With the exception of the bowel issues, you're doing great! I've read other threads where members were trying to find that balance between not going and going too much. I found if I take a Colace tablet at bedtime about every other day, it seems to keep me fairly regular (and I'm taking 2 percocets a day). Good to hear from you!!! :)
 
@Cynthia777

Hi Cynthia, you're the best!! How are you doing? Are you walking still every other day? I tend to catastrophize changes in my body so I love bonesmart and hearing of similar experiences. My dr. has me taking Senna-S, 2 tablets twice a day. That's a laxative with colace. I've had issues before, just more intense right now. I know my body's been through a lot and I'm certainly not moving my body like I was so I shouldn't be surprised. I'm also glad you shared that you're taking Percocet still. Even though they told me to stay on it, at least until I see them at my 2 week visit, I feel like I should be off it.
 
I'm doing really well, thanks! I'm still walking almost every other day (not the past three days because I was a bit sore one of my walking days and today it rained), but using the walker because of my bad hip (which seems to be giving me a few more fits than previously). My bm's aren't quite back to normal (about every third day), but not enough to bother me. I don't have any pain while non-weightbearing, so I take the Percocet (10mg's) once in the morning and then again around 1:00ish. If you can get your bowels happy, I wouldn't rush getting off of the meds, so you can walk more and regain your strength (but this is just my opinion). It's so good to hear from you Sandy! Drop by more often cause I miss your posts! God Bless my friend! :-)
 
@Cynthia777

Hi Cynthia, I'm glad you're doing well. I'm still not sure if my right hip will be behaving now that my left hip is fixed. It's definitely had a few twinges but I'm hoping that it'll be ok. It's day 12 and I def still need the walker.
I'm feeling pretty good overall although the stomach stuff is tough. First, I've had the awful constipation. Honestly harder than giving birth,lol. And today, the opposite, I guess because they have me on senna s, a laxative and softener. My stomachs been bothering me all day and I've gone many times today but it doesn't seem to help. I have my first post op appt with my dr tomorrow and I hope he can help me with this.
Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good.
It's always good to talk to you, Cynthia:). Have a good night
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom