Guest viewing is limited

PKR I'm Here.... PKR left lateral complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jeano I think that is was scar tissue and come to think of the knee does feel less stiff now. Anyway I don't think it was anything serious. By this morning the increased pain I felt last night had subsided and any mobility or flexibility I had lost returned.

Not doing anything special with the kneecap. It's actually quite lax right now when my leg is relaxed. I just noticed that when I apply light pressure to the tendons I don't feel that popping sensation anymore. That makes me think that the "popping" was coming from the kneecap moving around/popping back into place.
 
Okay, so I have started to notice some pain in the area where the hardware was implanted. I have been increasing my home PT regimen, so this is probably the reason why. Is this normal? How long will it last? Should I scale back? I really only feel it with activity and it is not severe, just mild to moderate.
 
Might just be the nerves waking up/reconnecting. Periodically I have had some twinges that I have interpreted to be that kind of thing--feeling more like hitting a funny bone than actual pain. When in doubt Ice Medicate Elevate.
 
Might just be the nerves waking up/reconnecting. Periodically I have had some twinges that I have interpreted to be that kind of thing--feeling more like hitting a funny bone than actual pain. When in doubt Ice Medicate Elevate.
Yes, maybe that's it. It does feel more like general soreness, from working out. When I rest, elevate and ice it feels pretty good, maybe a small amount of pain, like a dull toothache sensation and just discomfort from the swelling.
 
I'd say probably normal for this early stage of recovery. You're really doing quite well.
 
You're going to get some pain as you start to increase your activity. Just be sure to watch it and not push too hard if there is pain. You want a gradual increase of movement so that you don't strain and irritate any of the soft tissue. Glad you recovered from your "event."
 
Had my 2 week post op with Dr. Sisto. Staples removed! Felt so nice to get that Aqua Cell off my leg. Cleaned the incision site and surrounding skin with gauze and alcohol....weird how something so simple can feel so blissful.

He was impressed at how well I was doing and cleared me to stop using any walking assists if I chose to and gave me rx for some PT. X-ray was beautiful. Leg was straight...for first time in about 30 years!!! I was so joyful and thankful inside of myself. Remarkably, he said that my medial compartment only had mild signs of OA here and there, even after the extended time my knee was misaligned. The medial compartment also had a nice thick cushion of meniscus present so barring any trauma, I should be able to get a lot of mileage from my implant if I take care of it......

I am actually a little teary right now as I type this. So thankful to God to have been lucky enough to still have a healthy knee other than the lateral compartment...to have found a good OS....and to have found Bonesmart, this online community with so many good people, so many people who give people answers and comfort when they need it and just take the time to listen to people who are tired, troubled and weary. I am tired and emotional right now, but it's hard to describe what it has been like, dealing with this knee problem for 30 years and FINALLY getting some relief! Finally, I have some good news for a change!

I know I have a ways to go in my recovery, but at least I have hope now! Thanks so much to all of you. It may sound dramatic, but to me all of you, Jo, admins, mods, Sr. smarties, etc., you are evidence that God makes his presence known by working through people like you and I mean that sincerely. Thank you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you, hon. I'm so thankful that things are going well for you!!! Your kind words mean so much and it's things like this that let us know we are truly able to help folks out there! Thanks for taking time to share your feelings with us.

And now....start SMILING A LOT, my friend!! You have the best of days ahead of you!!!:yay:
 
Oh my gosh! mcirish - now you have me "a little teary"! What a lovely post - praise You Lord.
 
Hey there @mcirish
You are very sweet to say such nice things.
And that is fantastic you are doing so well!:)

Many of us after surgery, had a tightness above the knee, or pain from the tourniquet, it went away slowly. And then later on some sharp electric pin prick pains as the nerves healed. Just consider them all normal and part of the healing process.

Now that you have a perfectly straight leg, you might take a height measurement in a few weeks and see if you gained back any height. It is fun to realize that you've gained an inch or so back just by having a newly straightened leg.

Pretty soon you'll be going on long walks with that little girl of yours. You said you did this for her, but sounds like you are realizing it will be a life changer for you and in everything you do.
All the best!
 
Thanks everyone. I know that must sound a bit overly dramatic to some and I am aware that there are many others who have suffered much more than I have.I just feel like I am in the beginning stages getting pieces of my life back that I lost a long time ago.

Also just looked at the surgical notes. Dr. Sisto performed a lateral release and a partial medial menisectomy. Need to sleep now so I guess we'll have more to discuss tomorrow....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations @mcirish, I am very thrilled for you... let the recovery continue :)
 
Congratulations! I hope you have reconsidered your intention to go back to work next week but if not please take it as easy as you can. You still have a lot of healing to do. And take it easy at PT, too.
 
Scar Care

So I just got my staples removed and the OS told me not to get the incision site wet for another 4 days, so sponge baths till Monday I guess :sad:....so with that in mind, when can I start slathering my incision with lotions and potions to minimize the scarring?
 
@mcirish No, you use Glad Press and Seal. I went through two boxes of it till it was ok to get wet. Get some if you don't have any already and go take a shower! Answers about scar care are all over the place. I didn't do anything except what I do every day, TKR or not which is just Aveeno lotion on the legs after the shower. By the time I had my revision, my scar was largely not visible. Don't waste your money on expensive scar creams!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had no staples so I was good to go but I had spare waterproof dressings, so if staple holes had been an issue I'd have done the plasti-**** and duct tape routine I used before I had waterproof dressings. If you wrap that stuff so it overlaps you'll be fine.

Josephine and others poo poo the scar creams and potions. My OS suggested vitamin e straight out of the capsule--stick a pin in and squeeze. I did that for a while then noticed a litle hypertophy toward the top of the scar and splurged on the silicone scar sheets. I've been using them for a couple of weeks. They might be purest snake oil but I do think that the raised area of the scar is looking tighter and flatter. Which it may well have done without. They do keep the scar more comfortable during the day when clothing is rubbing against it.
 
@mcirish I had staples for both TKR's. The first scar was red and thick initially, but it didn't stay that way long. Like I said above when I had my revision the first scar was visible only if you looked for it, flat as flat could be and no redness, and I did nothing special for it.

What my revision doc told me was I could take a shower and get the incision wet once the staple holes filled it. They were bleeding when the staples came out but 11/2 days later I was good to go. My new scar,which is much longer - 34 - staples, is already looking great at 5 weeks and 4 days. What I've always said...I couldn't care less what my scar looks like, if I can have a pain free funtional knee!
 
@RunA42K

Yes, at the end of the day I guess the scar doesn't really matter, it would be nice to have a pretty one if there was such a thing....Glad Press and Seal you say? hmmmmm.....going to stop by Target and get some. Thanks for the tip!:)
 
so with that in mind, when can I start slathering my incision with lotions and potions to minimize the scarring?
Your scar will settle down perfectly well all on it's own if left alone! It needs no help from us at all! This was my scar which had no lotions, potions or massage whatsoever! A perfectly good scar all round as most are!

[Bonesmart.org] I'm Here.... PKR left lateral complete!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom