PKR I'm Here.... PKR left lateral complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to connect with any other members who have had one of these procedures since I just had one. From what was explained to me I am under the impression that lateral partial implants are among the more infrequently performed knee replacements and seem to have their own subset of issues and challenges. I am only 1 week post op and so far everything seems to be progressing well.

Anyway, just would like to hear from anyone out there who has had this particular procedure and compare notes.

Thanks,

McIrish
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mcirish, I just read through your thread and we have a few things in common. I've had a TKR and a revision on the same knee, both times I was home from the hospital and vomiting and ending up with bad headache. First time was femoral nerve block, revision was a spinal block. I told them before hand this time how I got sick afterwards so they had me taking meds for it during my hospital stay but didn't send home an RX for that, so after I got sick they called one in. It helped tremendously.

Although the flu shot was most likely bad timing, I am sure that they were trying to protect you and your family. I got a flew shot in September so no problem for me but here in the Houston area we've had 9 deaths from H1N1. I have a friend who is a ICU nurse, last week she sent me a text message saying get your flu shot if you've not had one, that the ICU was filled with very sick people with the flu. Everyone one in my family have had the shot except my 31 year old son and of course at his age they still think that they are invincible!

Your bandage, I had the exact same one. It was that long too 34 staples closing up my very long incision...that is what you get with a revision. They told me to take it off on the 9th day home. I liked it because I could shower with it. Once off and doing our own bandaging here at home I went thru 2 boxes of Glad Press and Seal taking a shower until I could get the incision wet.

You'd think I'd know better about over doing it having done this twice, I still get myself into trouble. My revision recovery is 100 times better than my original TKR. So because I am doing so much better early on, I get this false sense that I can do more than I should. I'm 33 days post op today, and after a gym workout upper body and core on New Years Eve, a trip to Costco and then to the mall, I was more than spent. I paid for it plenty with pain and swelling. So I have been good the last two days and will again tomorrow elevating and icing laying down ALL DAY LONG! I have Physical Therapy on Monday and I want to do good.

So it sounds like you are out of the woods now, the worst is over but you still need to take things easy for a bit. Good that you found Bonesmart, I found it just by accident before surgery when I went on the pre op side and asked, "can I still run after TKR?" We all taught each other a lot! This site has been a Godsend to me!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mcirish. Great to hear your are progressing well. If you dont get alot of response you can check the past threads and look for the pkr before their name. I would imagine they wouldnt mind if you private message them. since you know how supportive this forum is. Just a thought. ! Good luck
 
Appreciate that 707. I did a forum search before, but it did not turn out many good results. Laterals are relatively rare as it is the medials that bear the most weight and wear out more quickly, so insted of going on a wild goose chase I hope some of the members might see this thread.
 
You are exactly correct, Lateral PKR are rare. In clinic, I have not seen any that had difficulties. The rehab is no different from a TKR or a Medial PKR. The one warning I give patients that are cruising through the process, don't get too frisky, you still have to heal. Keep things in moderation. Give your body a chance to accept the new parts. That will keep your swelling down to a minimum.
Best of Luck, you are doing great.
David
 
@kneesrus thank you for the response. Thank you for the advice. Learning as I go here and I am finding that I need to do exactly as you said. Keep my expectations in check, don't get too far over my skis, don't over do it, etc. Another factor I am struggling with is irregular sleep patterns. There have only been a couple of nights where I got decent sleep. Fortunately I can make up any deficits during the day knowing how important sleep and rest is to healing my body.

Anyway, more specifically about laterals, an OS told me that, at least in theory, lateral PKRs should last longer than medial PKRs because they are typically subject to less force and stress comparatively. This was one of the factors I considered when opting for a partial. I am sure there is next to zero data on this given that there is such limited data. Probably never been tracked.
 
Laterals are relatively rare (and) should last longer than medial PKRs because they are typically subject to less force and stress comparatively
Absolutely right! I remember one previous member who had a lateral PKR but that was a while ago and he hasn't been back to the forum in ages. You could well attract the attention of a guest or two who are in this category.

(btw, you don't need to quote every post to reply to it. Just scoot on down the the message box and start typing!)
 
Another factor I am struggling with is irregular sleep patterns. There have only been a couple of nights where I got decent sleep.
This is normal---and also very frustrating---I would wander around the house looking for a place to get comfortable---

ortunately I can make up any deficits during the day knowing how important sleep and rest is to healing my body.
Naps are great---take as many as you need.
 
@mcirish.....you will notice that I have combined your latest thread with your regular recovery thread. I hope you understand, but we really need to keep each member's recovery information in a single thread. Otherwise, it is too confusing to follow all the comments that are posted to you.

I noticed that you had the same thread in the pre-op forum and, while we normally don't like to have multiple threads that are the same, I have left it in place in case there are any lateral PKR patients out there.

Please post if you want to change the title of this thread at any time. One of the staff will change it for you immediately.
 
You have to realize to most people wear down the medial compartment, where you wore down the lateral compartment. This rarity usually has pertains to line of force going through the knee joint. In other words the physics. That is the only difference, the OS is not trying to protect the medial compartment, by doing the lateral. You must have had OA issues bad enough to put in a new part.
Keep up with your exercises
David
 
Indeed, very little info about lateral PKR's mcirish...that's how I found you and found this forum. Not much in the literature either but what has been published is VERY promising. Overall impression I get is technical procedure with excellent outcomes.
 
@mcirish.....you will notice that I have combined your latest thread with your regular recovery thread. I hope you understand, but we really need to keep each member's recovery information in a single thread. Otherwise, it is too confusing to follow all the comments that are posted to you.

I noticed that you had the same thread in the pre-op forum and, while we normally don't like to have multiple threads that are the same, I have left it in place in case there are any lateral PKR patients out there.

Please post if you want to change the title of this thread at any time. One of the staff will change it for you immediately.
Thanks Jamie. I buried myself in post op so deeply I kind of forgot about pre-surg. Whatever works best for you guys!:)
 
Just remember if you want to bring your thread forward onto the first page (for more visibility), just post an update! Any time you post, it goes to the beginning again and shows up as a New Post for people who use that feature of BoneSmart.
 
Indeed, very little info about lateral PKR's mcirish...that's how I found you and found this forum. Not much in the literature either but what has been published is VERY promising. Overall impression I get is technical procedure with excellent outcomes.
@RedRider
RR, if you happen to have any links on published data you could share that would be great. I have searched specifically for information and content regarding lateral PKRs and have essentially come up with nothing.
 
Don't know if you ever saw my post since you had two threads but I am happy to read that things are still going well for you after a bumpy start.
 
mcirish, here are a few links to some basic literature. They're not always specific, but it gives you a good idea of the data that's out there. Some of the links may be just the abstract so I apologize.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3238001/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2565025/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16446180

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23015560

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23832173

I'll see if I can dig up some more of the papers I've looked at.
 
I realize that at the end of the day, it was good that I got a flu shot, but combined with the after effects of the CSF leakage I had I was very sick. Things could have turned out very bad for me and my family if I had gotten worse. The medical staff should know that it is not a good idea to combine flu shots with patients who are recovering from a major surgery AND have had a spinal block. Someone could potentially suffer seizures or even die and that is not an exaggeration. To me it's outrageous. They need to be more careful.

The Aquacel bandage is pretty great. No need to worry about constantly changing the dressing or getting it wet. They sent me home with an extra one and it's all I've needed. I get my staples out on Thursday:happydance:...can't stand them. They are driving me nuts right now.

Wow that sounds brutal even for 30 days out, but I guess when we start feeling better or first instinct is to return to normal. Even now, I am only walking with a slight limp. I even catch myself sitting up from the couch and trying to lead off with my gimpy leg, even up the stairs sometimes, but I always catch myself and stop before I start. Don't want to have any mishaps this early.

So true. This forum has truly been a blessing to me. Just being able to come here and talk to people who have already gone down the path that I am only beginning on....means so much to me. So many good people here. I am truly humbled and thankful.
All responses above. Thanks @RunA42K
 
Had my first little set back today. (well, second if you count the leisure walk on Day 5 post op) I spilled a drink at the dinner table and my first instinct was to push away from the table and stand up......ouch. As I was in the process of standing I felt a burning/grinding sensation and a "pop". Pain was probably an 8-9. I almost went to the floor, but managed to gimp over to the kitchen counter. Immediately put ice on it and laid down for about 30 mins before my daughter walked over to remind me I'm her Dada and I have story reading duties and such. It's been about 3 hrs. and I am back to normal....almost. There is still a dull pain behind my knee cap and where I was once able to do a straight leg lift with only minor discomfort, it now takes an act of courage just to swing my leg onto the couch. :sad:...guess it could have been worse.

One positive that came out of this incident...I was manipulating the knee cap a little as I assessed the damage and I was able to determine that the "popping" sensation I felt when I tightened my quad was not coming from the implant. It was the kneecap! I guess it is still a bit swollen underneath and the tendons are probably still adjusting since they were incised a bit. Made me smile. Implant is rock solid, but the kneecap is a little wimpy right now. I'll take it.:)
 
When I spilled my drink at the dinner table at about a week post op, I merely sat there and burst into tears!
 
I havent had any similar pops accidentally, but did have one day at PT when my therapist laid hands on me and did something in the general vicinity of my kneecap, I know not what, that certainly caused some kind of readjustment in there. Before he did it the knee felt stiff and not as bendable as I could wish. @mcirish, are you noticing any increase in mobility? Because when the PT did whatever he did, afterwards my knee felt great and my flexion, which was already good, started improving by leaps and bounds. I asked another therapist at the next visit what he might have done and she shrugged and said "probably he broke up some scar tissue that was starting there".

I have been largely unsuccessful in moving my own kneecap around, incidentally. I've watched youtube videos but so far I am not getting the hang of it.

Hope your setback is at worst a tiny one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom