THR I'm done I'm done!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Thank you for the replies. Today was really rough for me. So, I saw my surgeon today and he addressed my leg length difference, which is about 1/2". The first thing I said to him was how I have read that this is common after surgery and usually corrects itself over time. But, he was quick to tell me that it is actually uncommon, has never happened to any of his patients, and that I will probably need surgery to replace my implant with a different one to correct this issue. He went on to blame it partly on my small bones, the imperfections of science, and I don't know what else because by that point I was bawling my eyes out.

I was devastated. So upon seeing this, he called one of the physical therapists to come in and examine me further. The PT did some exercises with me and said he was going to see if this difference was skeletal or muscular....and he finally said it was muscular and that most of it would correct over time. He said that I will have a little difference but it shouldn't be noticeable, and it's not something to have surgery for. So, that was a huge relief. This was basically what I was telling my surgeon in the very beginning. I just feel so drained. I've been crying for most of the day because it was just a lot to handle. I really hope this corrects itself over time because I do not want another surgery...and who is to say that another surgery will even correct this?! :boohoo:

Anyways, I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful. Any words of comfort is as always appreciated. Thank you so much you guys, I'm so glad to have someone to talk to about all of this.

Much love,
Hopeful
 
@Hopeful7 Oh my goodness ...poor you. Your surgeon sounds like a complete head case !! Perhaps it's me but I've never heard of surgery to correct an LLD??? I'm sure someone more qualified could chip in and corroborate. You may have read on other posts that it's quite common to have perceived or actual LLD early on post op and that it is best to leave it for some months before doing anything to let the body try and adjust. I was told by one PT that I have an LLD and would need shoe lift and then told by another that I should allow time to sort it out. It must have been awful for you for your OS to sY that surgery would be the only option..OMG....do hope it will sort itself out...but listen to the people on BS and I'm sure they will put your mind at ease. Take care Hun ...cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you, Chrissie. Yes, I will give it time to sort itself out as much as possible. My surgeon is actually highly experienced and very renowned in my area so it surprises me that this has never happened to any one of his patients. He said he actually corrects other patients who have LLD from previous surgeries. I think he was also surprised by what the PT told me because it was definitely in contrast to what he was telling me. Well, I will just have to be patient and see what happens. Thanks for your message!!
 
Hi @Hopeful7 - I would listen to the second piece of advice, early days for you :) you might like to check out....

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery
 
.......congratulations and I'm right with ya, I hear "that same thing too," I joined "the other side" last Friday, 12/13, wishing you a speedy recovery.....Best regards, "M from NJ"
 
Good luck to you "M from NJ"!!

Thank you for that information, Poppet. I agree that it is still early on in my recovery so I will listen to what my PT has to say. I guess surgeons don't know everything! :what:



~Hopeful
 
Hopeful, surgeons tend to approach problem-solving from a surgical point of view. PTs are more likely to look for a therapeutic approach. A GP might be more apt to want to find a pill to fix a problem. We hippies are like the proverbial elephant, and 6 different people would describe us 6 different ways. Meanwhile, another proverb often proves very true for us....time heals all wounds. Maybe not all, but certainly many. And the LLD issue is one that countless hippies encounter, and for many of them it does resolve on its own with time. So for now, simply put it aside. Give yourself a good 4 to 6 months of healing and then see how the LLD feels. It truly may be a complete non-issue by then.

Sharon
 
Thank you, Sharon. I will definitely put it aside for now and let it heal with time.

~Hopeful

:snows:
 
Hi Hopeful7, yay for you... glad you made it through your surgery ok. Hang in there. Although it seems slow at first, you will be up and about doing more and more before you know it. I am 2.5 months out, and in shock at the progress (most days), and other days I feel things are still moving way too slow (like today when my car is covered by 2 feet of snow, and I cannot get it out alone).

I agree with Sharon about the leg length issue. Your recovery is yours alone. You will realize with time that things you are having trouble with today will miraculously disappear without you even noticing. And one day you will realize OMG, I forgot to use my crutches to go get a drink in the kitchen !!! For me, just being able to put my sock on without help feels like a miracle.

As for your surgeon, they are often very matter of fact about things (at least in my experience). Good thing he took your issue seriously and consulted the PT about it.

Since you don't have much of a choice at this point, do your best to enjoy this downtime, which can be seen as a gift in itself.

xoxo
 
@drahdrah - Thank you for your reply. I'm so glad that your recovery is coming along well. You're absolutely right in what you've written and it feels so good to have it validated by another person who has gone through the process as well. I hope you continue doing well in your healing process!! :flwrysmile:


@fulafoto - Thank you, Bill!!! Cheers to you!! :cheers:

@dkirk0530 - Wow, you are only 9 days out of surgery! Congratulations!! Doesn't it feel great to have it behind you? I am 3.5 weeks out and notice improvements every day. The first 1.5 weeks were definitely the hardest but once you're past that hurdle you start feeling better every day. My only issue now as I've written above is with the leg length difference because it causes me to limp and feel imbalanced, but I know that will mostly correct itself with time. I've started doing some minimal yoga poses to stretch my body and it feels soooo good. But I'm still taking it slow and counting down the days. :) I wish you the best in your recovery and definitely keep us posted!!!! :SUNsmile:


~Hopeful, wishing you all a Happy Holidays full of healing and comfort!!!!!!!!! :xmasdance:

:xmas-kitty::xmas candle::xmas-1::xmas-win::snowmano::snowman::presnt::kitty chris::ereindeer::gbhouse::giftsa::reindeer:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing how each day brings more improvement, recovery and healing. I like the idea of doing some simple yoga stretches. I saw where Alex had posted some seated yoga stretches which I tried and found very comfortable - good for you @Hopeful7
 
Hopeful, I'm glad you are willing to give yourself some time. I think things will settle out for you. I'm sorry about your surgeon's comments......they are frankly very, very strange. I don't care if he is "well known" and that other stuff....the idea that he routinely corrects leg deficiences from other surgeon's poor hip replacements is something I've never, ever heard before. Our forum nurse @Josephine has over 50 years experience with hip surgery and I think it might be important for you to hear some comforting words from someone with her expertise and background. So I've tagged her for you.

You are so young and I can see how all of this would be frightening for you. Please know that you have many folks here who care about you and will help see you through your recovery. God bless you for your wise approach to all this and your patience to accept that recovery may take a little time.
 
My surgeon is actually highly experienced and very renowned in my area so it surprises me that this has never happened to any one of his patients. He said he actually corrects other patients who have LLD from previous surgeries.
Hopeful. let me tell you something .... there isn't a hip surgeon on this planet that hasn't had a patient experience Leg length differential - LLD so, even though allowing for the fact that he might have been talking from a purely technical point of view - he was, as they say, being 'somewhat economical with the truth'! Or to put it less diplomatically, lying! And that does not convince me he is worthy of being considered 'the best'. And so he might have revised other surgeon's patients with skeletal LLD, but that doesn't make him 'the best' at bed side manners! Gee wiz! How rude he was to you.

That PT was correct, it will correct itself in time. Read the article to understand more about it.
 
I believe my surgeon does not have the "I am God' attitude of many surgeons. He very simply told me that there is no guarantee about leg length ( I already had a discrepancy so was asking) - he said they usually either seem or are longer in the operated side but many resolve. He found the reason for my pre -op discrepancy and feels the implant will correct that. So far it still feels a little longer but I'm not too worried about that!
 
@Jamie, thank you so much for your message. It really is heart-warming to know that there are others out there who care to listen and help. If it wasn't for this forum, I probably would have not known any better and would have taken everything my surgeon says as gospel.

@Josephine - hehehe, your post made my chuckle, thank you! Yes, it does seem like he was being kind of dishonest. I met with my physical therapist today and he said that after my body evens out I might be left with a little bit of difference, but nothing major. He recommended I start wearing shoe lifts now so that my back doesn't start to get affected/curved because of the limp. Either way, I am slowly getting better every day so I look forward to getting back to normal in the next few months.

@charmed-life - I'm glad that your surgeon was honest with you from the beginning. I hope your LLD continues to correct itself over time. Hang in there!! :)

Thank you, ladies!! I really appreciate your feedback and advice! <3

Hopeful
 
Hello, friends. I am now 6 weeks post op and wanted to ask you all if it is normal to still be experiencing pain and swelling in the hip and leg? I can't walk much without the pain coming back on (although I did go out dancing last weekend!!!! No worries, I did not over-do it!!! :happydance:) I am still experiencing LLD - it has gotten slightly better but I am still aware of it. I'm hoping things continue to improve...it's a slow process as I am learning.

Wishing you all the best as well.


~Hopeful
 
@Hopeful7 Don't like to say this but Im at 13 weeks and still have some
Residual pain, stiffness and swelling, especially in my knee.... Obviously not as bad as at 6 weeks ...... It's to be expected I've realised ( doctors don't mention that do they). All that damage to tissue, muscles, etc....I've realised that this is a slow and steady recovery and go with the flow. I'm still using one crutch outside of the house due to 1.5cm LLD at six weeks it was very pronounced.... Now it's almost Ok... I'm going for hydrotherapy to assist with the glutes..... Sorry honey wish I could say it miraculously went but for me it didn't. But I'm nearly cooked!!!! And .... So will you. I've even found some patience on this journey. Not much but some.... Hang in there Hopeful it gets better all the time. Take care of yourself. Chrissie xxxxx
 
Yes, it's normal to have pain at 6 weeks....especially if you went dancing!!! That might have been a bit early for that much activity. It kind of depends on what you mean by "dancing." Slow dancing a time or two might not have been too much, but any movements where you are moving your hips or twisting....ahhhhh......that can make things hurt. So take it easy now for a bit, okay?

Your hips will take a while to readjust so you'll need to be patient. It could be months before things get properly aligned. Remember....you didn't get this way overnight and it won't get fixed overnight either! Your body has a lot of adjustment to make after being placed in perfect alignement instantly with the surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom