Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm back again

Me again! Someone posted that they do 45 mins elevation 3 times a day. Not sure I can cope with 3 times since I'll be laying on my back on the bed. I'm aiming for two times daily. I'd welcome comments on how many times and for how long I need to do this. My back isn't great and I'll probably suffer with being on my back for a long time. Thank you.
 
The main difference between you and me is that you had 26 days initially to do exercises/activities. The photo I took of my grossly swollen leg was only 6 days post op. The next photo of similar was 3 weeks post op. I think now it was at least 3 weeks before I was eventually put on the blood thinners (very high dosage the first week) which got nearly all the swelling down. Not inside the knee or course. I'm on the blood thinners for another 5 months, having a blood test in two months. I have no idea of the status of the blood clot, apparently small and behind the knee.
I must have confused you. I didn’t have 26 days initially or in a row. I didn’t do any exercises other than getting up and going to the bathroom in the first two weeks. I wasn’t able to do anything other than lie on the couch as I was very unwell. The 26 days were spaced out sporadically throughout the seven weeks and even when I did exercise on those days it would often trigger a big autoimmune reaction, so I then couldn’t exercise again, often needing a week to recover each time.
So my point is that despite all this, I’ve still progressed. Given time most of us will heal well. Some will take longer because of things out of their control, but it’s very unlikely your body won’t progress. So the idea of being stuck just isn’t borne out if you read people’s recoveries here.
To be clear, there is very little swelling now in my leg/ankle but my knee feels like a block of concrete still.
So hopefully if you can build up your tolerance of elevating your legs that would be better than fixing a time and feeling like you have to stick to it religiously. And ice then too. When I couldn’t exercise whilst lying down, I did foot pumps, pressing the knee down into the bed and simple quad tightenings. I did these regularly throughout the day and they can be done pretty much whenever you think of them. If you’re on your own and I think it’s been said, you will be doing a lot of daily activities so at the start you may not need to be rigid about walking as a means of exercise exactly but if it benefits you more mentally then that’s definitely beneficial.
The main thing is to take your time and allow your body to heal. Building slowly will still bring results.
 
Again, thank you Beraic for your message and explaining. I have just done my first proper elevation. Leg on a suitcase! One cushion under the knee and two cushions under my foot. Ice pack at the same time, nearly an hour. Only managed a 4 min walk due to pain and stiffness, so stopped. Perhaps no exercises today due to stiffness and pain. I'll do another elevation this afternoon. I appreciate your encouragement and am sorry that you have had to endure so much.
 
@Dolphin5 I’m trying to imagine what your elevating stack looks like but an hour is great.
Yeah best to listen to your body and rest. I find now I can still manage the soft exercises I mentioned while resting, even when I’m having a more down day. It all helps.

I’m attaching a photo of the pillow stack as posted by mendogal a little while ago.
You can see nothing is digging in anywhere and there’s no forced or exaggerated bend at the knee, which is important, just the soft bend you can see.
Good luck x
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I'm back again
    IMG_1175.webp
    60.7 KB · Views: 80
Hi Dolphin,
My advice is to do gentle bends and stretches to the best of your ability. You should be able to do some ankle pumps for circulation, quad stretches while lying down and you can try some gentle heel slides also. Icing and elevation should help with pain and swelling. I do feel you need to get up and move though also. Get up every hour and take a short walk around your home. Four minutes as you did is better than nothing. Remember that "motion is lotion' and sitting too often or for too long isn't good either as it can contribute to stiffness, weakness and discomfort. Prolonged sitting can make the knee feel even tighter and more difficult to bend or straighten. Movement helps maintain flexibility and prevents that "concrete" feeling. Hopefully this will help you feel better throughout the day. :thumb:
@Dolphin5
 
@Dolphin5 …. Thank you for providing all the detailed information you have written for us. It really helps us provide the best guidance we can for you.

First of all, I want to reassure you that because you are still very early in your recovery and you experienced a blood clot, your progress has understandably been delayed a bit. This does NOT mean you will suffer any long-lasting dire consequences. I’m glad to read that the “whole leg” swelling you’ve experienced in the early days after surgery is no longer a problem. This is very positive and indicates things are going in the right direction. Progress in recovery is normally slow and doesn’t always go in a straight line. There can be setbacks and also glorious successes as you regain your strength and mobility again. I don’t see a single thing in anything you’ve written that would indicate you should worry about never walking again. Please try to put that out of your mind.

The “concrete” feeling in your knee is quite common and it is the result of internal swelling within the joint. The knee compartment is very compact and it doesn’t take much fluid to really make things uncomfortable. The swelling also does a wonderful job of restricting your range of motion (ROM)….think how hard it is to bend a rubber hose that is filled water…it just doesn’t bend well. Once the fluid is gone, your ROM should improve and your knee will feel less tight.

The fluid collection comes from inflammation, so it is critical to try and reduce any inflammation in your body. If you can take them, NSAIDs can help with that. These are over the counter medications such as ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, and Aleve. The downside of NSAIDs is that they can cause stomach problems, so they need to be taken with food and a full glass of water to reduce that risk. The prescription medication Celebrex is also an NSAID, but it has a lower risk for stomach problems. Coordinate use of any NSAIDs with your GP. To help with your inflammation, you’d need to take them on a set schedule throughout the day and night so that medication is always in your system.

Ice is also a great way to help reduce inflammation. As has been mentioned before, you can ice your knee as much as you can tolerate as long as you keep a towel between the ice source and you. It is important to ice both the front and back of your knee. Elevating your leg “toes above the nose” when icing or resting is also helpful.

You mentioned some back problems when you’ve been icing and elevating. Do some experimenting to see if you can find a comfortable position. Many people prefer to be flat on their back with legs elevated on a foam wedge or pillows so there is a slight bend at the knee. But if that’s not comfortable, you could try a more sitting position even though your toes will not be “above the nose.” It’s also possible to lie partly on your side with some pillows behind you so that you can lean into them and then place your legs up on pillows or a wedge so that they are elevated as much as possible. Don’t be afraid to test out some different positions to see if something will work for you to have extended periods where you can apply the ice to your knee.

If you can find a therapist locally on the island who does lymphatic massage, you could try that. But, keep in mind that you still must get there and back, so if that is time consuming or difficult for you, it may not be helpful. Sometimes the trauma of getting to and from a therapy session negates any benefits from going. Your lymph system is what flushes the fluid from your body. But it doesn’t work like your blood circulates. There are no pumps that move the fluid, so the process is much slower. Fluid in your knee must move from the knee to the trunk where it is collected and eventually removed through the kidneys. There are machines that can assist with this, but I wouldn’t recommend you purchase one. The only one that’s been studied and proven successful and approved for use in the US for this purpose costs $17,000! Instead, you can do some manual massage yourself by using gentle massaging pressure from your ankles upward over your knee and thigh to your torso. Time is your best friend when reducing swelling. It can take a while, but your body is a miraculous thing in its ability to heal.

I definitely would not recommend a vibration device. There is no science to indicate this vibration would help you with swelling and it is not advisable to vibrate your body like that after joint replacement surgery. But I do appreciate that your sons are worried about you and want to help. You have raise good boys to have them be so caring and attentive to their mother. Are they close by where they could provide some moral support for you and visit frequently?

How are your pain levels? Are you currently taking anything for pain? Pain is also in the mix with swelling and inflammation. When you have pain, it promotes the inflammation that causes swelling. The more swelling, the greater the pain bringing even more inflammation. It’s a cycle that continues and can worsen until you break it by reducing the inflammation. If you are having pain, tell me what you’re taking anything on what schedule. I can possibly make some recommendations for you to discuss with your doctors.

I suggest you reread the recovery articles that were linked for you earlier in your thread. Pay particular attention to how long the healing process takes. It’s measured in months and can easily extend out to a year or more before you are fully recovered. Obviously you aren’t bed-bound this whole time, but the idea is that progress can seem frustratingly slow sometimes. But you’ll get there. You have the support from your BoneSmart family to be right there with you along the way. It’s unfortunate that you cannot get this type of personal support from your medical team, but that’s just the way it is. It’s why we created BoneSmart - to serve as a bridge between patients who need frequent guidance and the time-crunched doctors in charge of their care. It’s a gap we feel honored to be able to fill.

I also suggest that you read our series of articles on POST OP CARE. There is a link to it in the blue tool bar at the top of the page. It describes the process of surgery and healing and will help you understand what is going on in your body during the months following surgery. It’s important that you relax and allow your body to heal itself. It knows exactly how to do that.

This is a long post, and I apologize for that. But hopefully I’ve provided enough information and links to read that you will become more confident that this all will pass and you will recover to get back to those beautiful beaches. Please don’t hesitate to write as often as you like here. We’ll always be here to respond and try to help get you through a challenge. And…..we also will throw a virtual party to celebrate when you reach a milestone. We even celebrate the tiny ones, as they are just as important as the major milestones. Hang in there. Sending ((((HUGS))))
 
One other thing to help with your elevation. You might look into purchasing a Lounge Doctor. There is a link to their website that describes the product. We recommend it because it is the only foam wedge backed by science in their design. You can read more about that on the website. You choose the size based on your height and the curves of the wedge are built to give you the perfect position for comfort as well as good elevation. It can be shipped to the UK, although I’m not sure of the cost to do that.
 
I also have issues with my spine, and I cannot lay flat. But, laying on my back is much more comfortable if my legs are elevated.

I really think you should consider buying some type of foam elevating wedge pillow. I can’t imagine my leg up on a suitcase, even with pillows. A foam wedge pillow will give you the appropriate angle for your leg and spine.

I eventually got so comfortable on my foam wedge pillow that I still sleep all night with my legs elevated on it, so it was a very worthwhile expense for me.

If you find that the Lounge Doctor and its shipping are too expensive, check out this one on Amazon and see if it’s available where you live. I have this one and I really like it.
[Bonesmart.org] I'm back again
 
I am so sorry you are having such a tough time and are having to cope largely by yourself. This is a really difficult recovery process even without the added stress of a DVT.
The key is very gentle but gradually increasing exercise. Just walking a bit more each day and trying to gently bend a bit more each day too.
Have a look online and see if you can get a cheap rocking stool. It would be a good way to keep the leg moving and elevated without lying down. It might dobthe trick and not aggravate your back
 
The first 4-5 months, I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or laying down, making sure I had a cloth between my knee and the ice machine's baffle. I used the Lounge Doctor to elevate it and loved it! Icing and elevating helped to keep my swelling and pain down. Between alone most of the time meant I had to do my own ADL (activities of daily living). This was all the exercise or PT that I did. Not doing formal PT didn't hinder my recovery at all. Many members on here have recovered the same way.
 
Hi everyone. Each time I see the threads, some lengthy ones, I'm humbled and a bit emotional at people taking the time to try and help me. Thank you.

Firstly, I don't mind lengthy threads. Pain: I'm taking prescribed Dehydrocodeine 30mg, two before bed. These cause constipation so I take a mild laxative each day. I was on 8 of the Dehydrocodeine for several weeks after the op, gradually reducing to the two which I've been doing for about 3 weeks now. For some reason the pain/discomfort is worse through the night. I had to come off the Ibuprofen when starting the Apixaban blood thinners which I have to take for 6 months. When needed I take two Paracetamol. Should I be taking these regularly or just when in pain?

I had a tel message from the physio who hurt me last week saying 'i hope everything is ok, that the consultant appt was ok and if I have any concerns to ring her'. She obviously knows she upset and hurt me last week. I rang the surgery to ask if I could see a different PT. The receptionist was shocked when I told her of my experience and said 'its your body, your choice' and was very sympathetic. She said yes I could see a different PT. I'm going to make an appt and see what the person is like. One appt will probably be enough for me.

I should mention that about 25 years ago I had breast cancer and had lymph nodes removed from under my arm. This may add to the problem of drainage.

My sons both live in Surrey, about 60 miles from the ferry port to come to the island. Both have been twice each to see me since my op and helped enormously. Even taking one of my dogs to the vets. One has told me to stay positive and be prepared for a long recovery.

A lot is said on the forum about how long recovery can take but being able to drive a car again is not mentioned. I know it's different person to person but I'm desperate to be driving again. In 3 weeks 6 days I'm going to my sons for my big party weekend. I'm still hoping for a miracle to happen which means I'll be able to drive there. One of my sons will come and collect me if not but I'm still hoping.

I'm puzzled about yesterday. I woke to being pain free, yes pain free, in my knee. First time since pre op. Cautiously optimistic that the previous day's 2 x elevation had worked. I walked a few minutes in the garden. Did another 45 mins elevation and later did 10 mins walk around the bungalow. All good. But after sitting in my chair, feet up on a stool, for 45 mins lunchtime, when I got up I was back to the usual pain and stiffness, quite bad. It remained til bedtime despite another elevation and a total of 5 ice packs.

Please clarify with the quad exercises. My booklet says Static Quadriceps: pressing back of knee into the bed. 5 x 5 seconds. Short Arc Quadriceps: operated leg over a rolled towel, lift heel off bed whilst keeping the knee on the towel. A few seconds for 5 times. Passive knee stretches: leg straight in front on a rolled towel so that the knee hangs in mid air. Let the knee stretch for 5 minutes if not too painful.

Thanks again everyone
 
I forgot to mention that I take one 30mg Omeprazole each day for my stomach.
 
Hi @Dolphin5 this will be another long post :loll: so there’s a bit of a mixed bag here some good things some not so good. Sounds like you’ve got two great sons who are obviously there for you and are absolutely right in advising it’s a long recovery.

Are you still in blood thinners? Since I’m not on blood thinners, what I did/do is alternate every two hours an anti inflammatory med with codeine/paracetamol. So 8am codeine 10am ibuprofen 12pm codeine 2pm ibuprofen and so on, that way every two hours you are giving yourself pain and inflammation relief, enhancing the chances of keeping things controlled and consequently you’ll feel more in control. I do understand the problem with constipation with codeine and some people just not really wanting to take it, but in my opinion you may not be doing yourself any favours cutting down the medication so quickly, when it sounds as though you still need it.

Sometimes when we just want to be well we think that cutting down on medication will be a sign that we’re somehow making it happen. If you have pain throughout the day it is worth trying to accept that and give yourself a helping hand at this stage when we need it.

With the quads I do both the towel under the knee and press and I also have legs out in front and literally raise my quads upwards trying not to include your buttocks too much. The ability to do this will increase as the days go on. I also do ankle pumps increasing as able along with heel slides. If you pay attention to how things feel later in the day you’ll be able to gauge when to increase things. Also as I and others have mentioned you also need to adjust exercises depending on what else you’re doing. You need to do less formal exercises on days when you are doing more activities in the home. Everything needs to be adjusted according to your pain, your activities and gains. It doesn’t need to be a regimented approach, because you’re likely going to feel differently every day or so. It’s about listening to your body accepting where you are in your recovery and adapting and adjusting accordingly. Nothing is static. I can imagine in your situation having been told you’ve “missed the boat”, that you’re keen to make up for lost time, but this approach, whilst totally understandable, won’t be ideal. So in the morning think about your day and things you need to do etc and set out your exercise plan accordingly. I often spend time when I wake doing ankle pumps,knee presses and quad tightenings before even getting out of bed and I’ll do more sets spread through the day mixed with walks around the house up and downstairs. For example yesterday I went to the Park with my OH and grandsons, so I only did two sets of exercises instead of the 4-6 sets.

Each day I’m reviewing the impact of the exercises and activities I did the day before, in order to gauge what needs to change and what I’m safe to continue with or what needs to increase or decrease.

With regards to sitting and elevating and feeling stiff that’s totally normal, I helped this a bit by doing some of my exercises whilst elevating especially ankle pumps. You can also do some soft strokes in an upward motion around the knee and at the back of the knee then upwards towards your thigh and groin thus giving the lymphatic drainage a helping hand. That feeling of stiffness will probably last for a bit while the leg is often in the static position. When you say elevated on a stool is that with the leg straight in from,not elevated? If so I would really try every time you’re sitting to elevate. I have pillows on a large footstool in the same location all the time so whenever I sit I’m also automatically raising my foot above my nose level.

Finally. As to this whole recovery I know having experienced it that things that have taken a turn for the worst,can just as quickly improve. Up to last Sunday I described my recovery like flip flopping between encouraged and discouraged. Then on Monday everything changed out of nowhere and I’m now feeling so much more optimistic and improving.

Finally finally…. The most helpful piece of advice I can suggest is one of acceptance. At some point we all have to accept our situation and work with it, if we’re going to make meaningful progress. Most of us are used to being in control of our lives, so we struggle when we can’t, but struggling against our current situation, will only work against us and lead to anxiety, fear and frustration. ❤️
 
Last edited:
Hi Dolphin, Happy Friday!
I'm going to make an appt and see what the person is like. One appt will probably be enough for me.
I think your best bet is to be upfront with the PT you meet with next and set up clear boundaries from the beginning by telling them that you're looking forward to working with them, but want to be upfront about your approach to therapy. If comfortable, you can mention your previous experience, being pushed aggressively which resulted in pain rather than progress. You can make it clear that you understand some discomfort is normal, but you don't want to push through pain or deal with an overly aggressive approach, but rather a gradual, more gentle, mindful way that's comfortable for you, but still effective. Possibly if you're clear from the beginning you'll have a better working relationship. :fingersx:
A lot is said on the forum about how long recovery can take but being able to drive a car again is not mentioned. I know it's different person to person but I'm desperate to be driving again.
First, always follow your surgeon's recommendations. You will need to be off the Opioids.
You need enough control over your leg to press the gas and brake pedals without hesitation.
Once you're off the Dehydrocodeine and you feel ready to give it a try, consider practicing with short, slow drives in a safe area and see how you feel. You may do well, but find it difficult to withstand lengthy car rides for a time.

I am sorry you had to endure the health crisis of breast cancer. Congratulations on being a 25 yr survivor!
I hope you have a nice weekend, Dolphin!
 
Last edited:
after sitting in my chair, feet up on a stool, for 45 mins lunchtime, when I got up I was back to the usual pain and stiffness, quite bad.
Just a reminder that sitting in a chair with feet up on a stool is not proper elevation and could be the source of your discomfort. Proper elevation requires you to be lying down with legs up high enough that you are "toes above nose". Please check this article on the proper way to elevate.
 
@Dolphin5 The information in the article benne68 linked for you is great, but you will not be able to see the images as we’re having some technical problems with them right now. I’m sorry and we’re working on getting this fixed.,
 
Re the quads exercises. At your phase of recovery that's quite a sane approach. If you're slowly increasing your activity overall, I wouldn't do more than one set of each exercise, once or at most twice a day (here in the USA many phisios are mad as hatters and want patients doing three sets of everything three times a day! Ouch!).

What you call static quadriceps I know as "quad sets." I assume when you say push you mean contract the muscle, not push it with your hands. It's a really good exercise to reactivate the quads so the nerves and muscle fibers communicate better. You can increase this effect by simply placing fingertips lightly over one section of the quads for a few contractions. The sensory input helps reinforce the message "contract THERE." I would do that randomly while icing and elevating and found it very helpful during the first three months.
 
Last edited:
For some reason the pain/discomfort is worse through the night. I had to come off the Ibuprofen when starting the Apixaban blood thinners
That is totally normal. Even small amounts of pain, that we hardly notice when up and about, will stop us sleeping.
I got some zopiclone from a sympathetic GP and alternated it with diphenhydramine ( Nytol) bought from the pharmacy. I also rested my knee on the opened cuff of my Aircast Cryocuff at night. I would change the iced water if I woke to go to the toilet. Sleep is really important and helps recovery and keeping us positive.
 
lot is said on the forum about how long recovery can take but being able to drive a car again is not mentioned. I know it's different person to person but I'm desperate to be driving again. In 3 weeks 6 days I'm going to my sons for my big party
Driving is different for everyone. Not just the joint issues- but also traffic levels in different areas/ countries.
I was told by my surgeon that I was OK to drive at 3 months and that I didn't need to inform DVLA. You do need to be able to slam on the brakes. I live in a busy London suburb and I wouldn't have felt safe to drive before about 12 weeks.
I was driving with my husband at about 7 weeks when he had to brake suddenly and it really jolted my knee.
Also a longish drive will probably make your knee more swollen and tight.
 
@dolphin5….The article benne68 linked for you is good information, but right now we’re having trouble with the images
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom