Guest viewing is limited

TKR I would welcome some advice after 2nd TKR (right)

have booked wheelchair assistance-
You are really wise to do this.
The distances between terminals are very big in Heathrow- although there is a train to Terminal 5. It is also very busy. Having help and a wheelchair is a really good idea.
 
Hello everyone! Just been catching up on all of the new threads. I’m at the airport now and about to start the trek to London and then on to Amsterdam. I am now genuinely at week 6 now (I thought I was at 6 weeks a week ago!) and the week has been a really good one! Finally managing some steps around the house without the crutches and got into work for a full day on Thursday! Pain has been so much better this week and I’ve finally been able to back off the heavy narcs. It’s amazing how a little progress can just make you feel like you’re winning
So, starts my adventure, for that’s how I’m determined to look at this, I am flying with our Australian airline Qantas and to say I've been looked after so far is a huge understatement! Checked in and within 2 minutes I was in a wheelchair and rushing through all of the secret back doors and corridors of Melbourne airport and 10 minutes later having had bags scanned and passport checked I’m enjoying being a “lounge lizard” and having a glass of champagne! It’s weird being on crutches and flying but once I said goodbye to my husband (a little tearfully) and got my travel hat on again I felt much better. Def don’t like the wheelchair but I couldn’t have walked the distance so as the Aussies say “suck it up princess” I’m out and about and my knee is repairing and the pain is reducing! Thanks everyone for being so lovely! x
 
I'm off to Tenerife later on today and as in the past I've booked special assistance ahead. I also don't like getting into wheelchair but they insist. It's been 20 months since my ltkr. [ not happy with the outcome ] I can walk but standing still in a queue starts off my back problems. Checking in this way takes minutes so I can recomend special assistance to all people struggling with mobility. Take care jcx
 
Safe travels! I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Glad to read you had a good week, less pain and meds. Great progress! Sounds like you definitely got the VIP treatment at the airport.
American version of your phrase is - "suck it up, buttercup" :wink:
Hopefully you don't have to endure any hardship or stress. :fingersx:
Best Wishes, Scully! @Scully2005
 
I hope you're doing well on your trip, @Scully2005 :flwrysmile: So glad you are taking advantage of the assistance offered you. Since you have to travel, it's time for you to be treated like a Princess! :bow::martini: I was just in the UK in June and totally know what you mean about Heathrow. We went back to the airport via bus and it took 15-20 minutes just to travel to all the Terminals. Ours, of course, was last (T3). I hope all goes well with your journey!
 
Hello Everyone… got back from my big work trip last Sunday. All went well, I met my friend in London and she travelled with me to The Netherlands and helped me out a lot! I think I would have struggled on my own. All of the airport assistance was amazing - some was more efficient than others but overall it was very good and I would highly recommend doing it if you are travelling soon after surgery. The plane itself: I wish i had done on my outbound journey what I did on my return journey and asked for additional pillows and blankets - it made such a difference and I slept for about 10 hours! I found everyone was so willing to help - I just needed to ask, which was a bigger issue: how ridiculous!
Still making progress, I’ve just hit week 8 and starting to move around more with one crutch - it does take a lot of effort though and at times I can feel a little wobbly and kind of unbalanced. Still taking morning and evening pain relief but finding that I don’t need it so much in the daytime. Pain is really tiring isn’t it? This right knee has taken longer for me to become independent than my left knee did, as you have always said every knee is different and I am frustrated at not being able to drive yet or be off crutches altogether but I am back at work full time and that keeps me from thinking and obsessing about my knee! I hope everyone is doing okay. All the best Scully x
 
@Scully2005 Well done on making such a long trip so early after surgery. I'll bet it's time for a little R&R now!
 
Wow! You are doing so well! I had trouble with car rides 6-8 weeks out let alone a long trip like you are doing. Love your positive attitude! That and the positive support you recieve from all the wonderful people on BS will take you far. Appears that you have lots of experience with recovery and handle it gracefully. Welcome to the club and keep on steppin! :hiking:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Scully!
Hope you're feeling better. Have a great rest of the week!
@Scully2005
 
I’m 11 weeks out and doing really well with range of motion, pain, etc… My progress didn’t really start until week 5 when I took several days off from PT and the swelling started to improve. In hindsight I was pushing too hard. I wasn’t on crutches at that point but had a lot of swelling, pain, and frustrated that I wasn’t progressing as fast as expected. Hang in there, hopefully you’ll start seeing progress soon. Please listen to the wonderful folks on this site like Jaycey, they know what they’re talking about.
 
@Layla thank you! 2 months! Where did that go? Getting about much more steadily with just one crutch now! So pretty happy about that. Saw my physio yesterday and he did some muscle release work on my knee and I’ve noticed quite a difference today. Got to around 120 yesterday and just off by about 5 / 10 on a straight leg. Lovely physio who is an ex- U.K. premier league football physio so you’d imagine him to be tough but he’s really got the balance right and I never feel pain or pushed too hard. Although I don’t like the muscle relief massage!
Now got 3 weeks until a work trip to Korea and Japan for 2 weeks so more mobility needed for that … onwards and upwards!
 
@Kipper11 great to hear you’re doing so well! Good on you - it’s terrific to hear the positive recovery stories too. Thank you for sharing your story. I’m good and although I wish it would go faster (doesn’t everyone!) I’ve got lots of experience of orthopaedic surgical recoveries now so I know to be patient and it will come good eventually! :dancy:
 
Great update! You’re doing well. I hope you’re feeling even stronger for your work trip in three weeks. You’ll have to tell us how you handled it upon your return. Hopefully like a champ! :thumb:
@Scully2005
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom