Knee Infection* I tried and fought the good fight

Brave heart...whichever way your knee takes you...we know you will get better.

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Jeffrey, I have been off the forum for the past weeks with my own TKR recovery, and was so sorry to drop back in and find you in this situation. Please post and let us know how you are doing. My prayers are with you. I hope you have considered trying Dr. Maale. He is doing some ground-breaking work in the area of knee infection work that is not duplicated anywhere else in the country. He will look at your xrays and files via email so you don't have to make the trip to Texas without knowing that he's going to accept your case.

But I will also understand if you decided that you needed to go the amputation route. These things are very personal decisions that one does not make lightly. Either way, you have our unconditional support. You are a longstanding BoneSmart family member and we care about you.

Hoping to hear from you soon.....
 
When Jeffrey first posted this thread he said the amputation was the following Saturday, which was a day or so after he posted and was a week last Saturday. So I assume it has been done and so Jeffrey my prayers are for you for a troublefree rehabilitation to your new situation.
 
You are right, it is past a week now, and my prayers still go out to him today. What a disappointment for him, but perhaps after all this, he will be able to move forward and get on with his life.
 
Jeffrey, I am so sorry to hear of this development. Sending you prayers and good wishes.
Please keep us posted!
 
You are all so wonderful in your encouragement! I'm home now working on achieving a 0 degree extension. Then the surgeon will write a release order for the prosthesis to be made/fitted. Gotta keep movin' forward!
 
Jeff I am so sorry that things ended like this. Please know you are in my prayers. Hugs!
 
Hi Jeffery,
I am so sorry to hear that this is happening to you.

I hope you do as Josephine suggested and seek some second opinions.

However, if you should have the amputation, all is not lost. I have a son who had an above-knee amputation 10 years ago, when he was just 30. He's made a good recovery. He walks well on his prosthesis and doesn't need a stick or any other walking aid. He drives and is totally independent. Just to look at him, no-one would know about his artificial leg.

All the best, my friend!
Caryl
 
Its good to hear from you Jeffrey, have been wondering how it all turned out.

Your positive post it evidence that you will be okay. Keep your chin up and know your Bonesmart family is behind you 100%!

Keep us posted!

Dawn
 
[Bonesmart.org] I tried and fought the good fight
Jeffrey, and we are behind you 100%. You can count on us for support and care and prayers. We ARE your BoneSmart family.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] I tried and fought the good fight
 
Hi Jeffery,

I am so sorry to hear things turned out this way! Yeast infections are hard to stop, and the patients that Dr. Maale had accepted had been through so much! It is one of the most difficult types of infection to treat according to Dr. Maale, and I understand why they went ahead with the amputation. 9 surgeries later, 7 from other or this, and 2 from Dr. Maale and one man was still fighting to keep his leg but it looked like a losing battle! That stuff spreads like wildfire! :yikes:
 
Hi Jeffrey
You are an amazing brave man and you will no doubt conquer the use of your prosthetic leg. Wishing you a long, healthy and happy life.

Do let us hear from you now and then and let us know how you are getting along, or if you need cheerleaders to encourage you on, we will be here!
 
^What Elisea said.
 
Jeffery,

We are always here for you! You know you can count on us! You made one of the hardest decisions that BoneSmarties rarely have to contemplate, and when my knee turned black, it was a race against time!

You have a lot of people cheering for you and I hope your adorable pug is still in your life! It makes life so much nicer when you have a friend by your side!
 
So sorry how things turned out - but it sounds like things are moving forwards with your new type of prothesis

Thinking of you for this new phase of your recovery journey :angel:
 
Such wonderful comments from this group do indeed inspire to continue on for a suitable completion. Some one mentioned my pug. Sadly I had to put her down while in the hospital. She had something seriously wrong with her and the vet didn't paint a good future for her. She was 12 yo. I will have a numb, empty home when I return without her.
I'm on day 8 of the 38 day antibiotics by IV. Then they install a new knee and I'll be ready for the prosthesis on the opposite leg. Getting a bit tired so I'll sign off. Best wishes to everyone here, Jeff
 
Dear lord. You have been through so much and now your pug is gone :(. I recommend a children's book called Dog Heaven. I hope that comforts you and you feel your furry one in your heart always. Many blessings to you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom