TKR I think I have pes anserine bursitis. Is it OK to do modified zumba?

@leonberg

I'm a September sapphire, nearly 7 weeks since my bilateral and echo a lot of your comments.

Happy to chat when you are free.

Kind wishes
 
Hi Folks,
Great to hear from fellow Sapphires! I'm just starting week 7 post BTKR. Not completely sure but I think my right knee is about 120 and my left one a bit less. I walk with two crutches for 20 mins every day. My walking is not great - you'd know there was something wrong with me! I think it's important to do some exercise - otherwise the muscles will get very weak, I think. I had a six week check with my surgeon on Tues he told me I was doing well, but I think they all try to encourage us. @Jane66 hope you're doing well and rested after from your trip to Glasgow
 
Hi @ihavetwins and other Sapphires. My knee was done just a few days before yours. Like you was very active pre-op. What I've learnt from this is def not to overdo it . I've spent the last 4 weeks recovering from just one day doing too much. Swelling, soreness. Surgeon said scar tissue rebleed. But even though 4 weeks of a disheartening lack of progress I've turned the corner and starting to walk without pain again. Still on a crutch but walking! It's this forum that helped. Others stories and feedback. Big learning was to focus on the long game and it's not just a 6 week or 3 month recovery and back to normal. Takes time. All the best everyone :)
 
JGlow here My bilateral TKR WAS ON September 29 Imdoingwell on the street with walker Knees still stiff bu swelling has really decreased Still icing and elevating PT here 3 times a wk
. She good Tells me she doesn’t want me to hurt Doing all my regular careCooking etc How long does it take for the legs to not be stiff?
 
This may not be true for everyone but since I cut back from “formal” PT my knee has been much more cooperative. I am better able to manage the swelling and find that my mobility is “exercised” by going about my normal day.

Once I was able to control the swelling I got a sense of how my recovering knee should be feeling—a little tight, a little stiff— but nothing like I experienced after going to PT, which just set me back.

I know I have a ways to go but it was a huge, mental relief to have a few days of what my knee could feel like if I just didn’t overdo it.

This forum is a great place to learn from everyone’s story. Thank you!
 
Howdy,

Anyone dealing with “spitting silks” eg internal stitches popping up? I’m on my 2nd round and it hurts if bumped! Have you removed them on your own?

Many thanks!!
 
Unfortunately, some people do have problems with spitting stitches. Usually, they're the remaining ends of internal sutures that haven't dissolved completely.

The best thing to do is cover them with a Band-Aid, so they don't catch on your clothes.

It's not wise to pull them out yourself. That should be done by your doctor/surgeon/nurse, using sterilized scissors and forceps. There's a slight risk of introducing infection if you do it yourself.
 
Anyone trying pickleball for the first time? Good or bad idea at 6 months post TKR?
Thanks!!
 
Hi all,

I made a bonehead move and decided to carry my 35lb corgi up a rocky path because I was worried about his ability to make it up. I got a few steps and it felt like my TKR knee just collapsed. This was a few days ago. There wasn't any super visible swelling but my knee ached...and still does, especially if I try and ride my bike.

Any ideas about what I might have done to my "previously was feeling great" knee? Really bummed about this setback...

Thanks for your help!
 
@ihavetwins
Sorry to hear you knee was so unhappy after carrying your Corgi.
Sound like it was way to much for your still healing knee, and has set your recovery back.
Suggest you go back to Resting, Icing, and Elevating to let your knee settle down and get back to healing. Probably will need to stay of the bike for about a week.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Thanks,
Chris
 
Hey I am wondering if it is the swelling that is making it seem like. it collapsed? I am wondering if you could get someone just to have a quick look at the surgeon's office? Don't they likely have a nurse or PA that could take a quick look? Is it making any noise? I know mine is clicking louder as I walk more and it creeps me out. Did you get alot of swelling?Keep us posted! Hope the pup is ok too!
 
Do I need to ice daily at 7 months? I’m using my knee daily (obviously) but unless it aches or appears swollen do I need the daily icing anymore?
 
@ihavetwins
You only need to ice for pain or swelling, otherwise you do not need daily icing at 7 months.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?


Thanks,
Chris
 
I'm still in month 4 and ice a couple times a day for pain and slight swelling. I also check if my knee still feels hot and compare with my other one which tells me some inflammation still so I ice. Check if yours feels hot?
 
At 7 months I usually only iced if I did something new that might have upset my new knee @ihavetwins. The first time I took a challenging hike for example. Don't know if that was why, but I didn't ever have pain the next day.
 
I iced whenever I had pain and/or swelling, even when over a year out. Ice will always be our friend as long as we don't get frost burn because of direct contact.
 
I had my left TKR 8 months ago and a right TKR yesterday. Funny how the brain “forgets” all the unpleasant bits

I made some great Bonesmart friends the first time around and it really helped with my recovery. I’m hoping for the same this time around!!
 
Welcome back and best wishes!

Here’s a refresher course for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
@ihavetwins Welcome to the other side again. Can you please give us the date of your surgery? We will update your signature for you.
 
Welcome back! I wasn’t here for your 1st go round, but am glad you have returned with the 2nd knee. I’m dealing with my 2nd knee as well. Even though my 1st was a mere 9 weeks before the 2nd, you do indeed mercifully forget the pain and agony you went through previously! You know the drill: ice, elevate, medicate. You’ll do great!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom