Bilateral THR I rode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cfourhorses. Glad you weren't hurt seriously. Getting slammed by a horse is like getting hit by a truck. When were you able to resume your barn chores and riding?
I'm scheduled for a LTHR in May but am still on the fence about going through with the operation. I am not on any meds and can walk just fine. Riding hurts a lot but since my riding time is so limited, that's not enough of a reason for surgery for me right now. I wish I had the time to spend working with my horses the way you work with yours. Beautiful! Jenny
 
Thanks Jenny!
I love working w/ my horses!! I used to show dog
obedience too yrs. ago.

Barn chores ...lets see....I most likely started holding a pitch fork again at maybe 6 weeks? I would just dabble in 1 stall. As time went on strength came...I thought it NEVER would!!

12 weeks I turned a huge corner!!

Riding, I was a bad girl, LOL...OS said her prefer I wait until 6 mos. post op...but I got on just to see if I could and how it felt. :thmb: Think I sat back in the saddle 6-7 weeks post op...but would not have really "ridden".

My riding declined for years!! I did not know why...thought I was just getting old! But other's older than myself had much better ROM and could still ride excellently!.. The pain became so bad so quickly at the end...I could barely walk anymore...let alone straddle a horse!!

I was on Morphine for a couple months waiting for my surgery date. Please do not wait for the bitter end!

Also I could not pedal a bicycle for a few years...the rotation was impossible because of the pain!!

Pic shows my 1st time cleaning a stall after surgery.

C4

 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I rode!
    backtochores.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 225
Wow, and I thought I was struggling with my elderly dog. She needs lifting to help her up, poor old girl has much worse OA than me. But she keeps eating OK, and although she doesn't go out much these days, we've decided that while she eats and seems otherwise happy enough, we'll leave things as they are. And she's never been as well trained as your horse. That's amazing, I enjoyed your videos.

As for your accident, youch! That would hurt even without hip issues! Glad you're feeling better though.
 
Hi Gum , thanks. Working w/ my horse is my relaxtion time. I should get my daughter's horse in the indoor and try her through the course too. This summer I hope to ride in some "Trail Trial" competitions where you ride a course w/ obstacles of various kinds.


What kind of dog do you have? I have an elderly Toy Poodle, (we have 3 dogs), who is almost now deaf & almost blind. He can still go out in the fenced back yard by himself. Seems he has memorized his route...when he goes out he makes the same trek around the yard. In the house he will bump into walls etc. and we must be careful not to step on him since he cannot see us well anymore let alone hear us.

Just about 5 weeks after my bi-lats...our Newfoundland had emergency surgery to save her life and she had to be hand walked for 2 weeks!! I had no choice but to do it....

I was sore for about a week after the horse slammed into me, (not my horse!!!). Horses should be taught to stay out of your "space"...the pain I felt was all groin!!

All about my new joints. If I had my original parts I may have hurt but it would have been different....took a week to feel normal. I was scared maybe something was cracked, loosened or shifted out of place...my first steps were very painful but I had to get myself through the fence fast so I could get away from him!!:th_hate-shocked:

I will not let that happen again!!

C4
 
Oh, don't delete your vid, C4. I love the videos of your horse training. I've watched them several times already!
 
I know next to nothing about horses, but it looks like you're really good at the training. I'm enjoying the videos.

Excuse my ignorance, but will you be able to ride safely with THRs? I can't imagine how it might be to have to give up that part of you if you can't.

We have 2 dogs (and 2 cats). The older one is like your toy poodle, almost totally deaf, pretty poor sight, she also walks into things all the time. She's a Welsh Springer Spaniel, never the easiest to train with precision, she's got a bit of a stubborn streak in her. She's also very much "my" dog, she's only ever really listened to me, but now she can't hear and my hand signal training isn't as effective as it was since she can't see too well. Apart from not being able to get her to do what we want now, the problem for me has been the increasing frequency of toilet accidents in the house, really only about the last 6 months or so, but it requires bending to clean up and I'm struggling with that, and helping her up to standing, as she struggles so much to get up. She's quite heavy (about 25kg/55lbs). She was on metacam (doggy NSAID), but she got stomach bleeding, so we had to stop. It's really sad. We do keep wondering what her quality of life is now.

Please keep the videos coming, apart from anything else, it's inspiring to see what people who were in worse shape than me, can get back to doing.
 
Lots of people do! We had oodles of riders on here, some at professional level. Amazing, isn't it?
 
Wow, I'm amazed. All credit to moderm medicine!

Aren't we lucky to be living in the countries and time that we do.
 
Shoveled, shoveled....worked...lunged a horse.... trudged through, above knee high snow to free electric fences, shoveled some more....tired and sore...but in a good way....not the hip sore...calves and butt sore.....:thmb:

C4
 
Again, great vids! Your mare really trusts you, beautiful!

Also want to say I am impressed on how well you are doing!:THUMB:
 
Thank you so much:loveshower: Hope she trusts me as well in less than a month when I ride her in a mounted police clinic:rolleyespink:
If I fall, I mean drop, off the radar completely in 3 weeks you will know why!!:eek:

C4
 
This is cool...to me anyway. The past 3 or so yrs. I have not wanted, and finally stopped wearing, my heavy duty water-proof winter boots..they are kind of heavy.

When I used to wear them, at the end, I could barely walk because I felt they were soooo heavy....like cinder blocks, I began to hate them....

Today I decided to put the things on again....my light weight boots I bought this season were damp inside and it is miserable out. We had 10" of snow 3 days ago and pouring rain today....everything is slush & deep puddles!:hissyfit: I had my farm work to do.

So I dusted off the cob-webs with great trepidation and put them on...and walked.....low & behold...they did not feel heavy at all!! :hate-shocked: I was in dismay!

This spoke volumes to me about how long I was going down hill and did not really know it!!

Even with the new hips I was a doubting Thomas!:th_heehee:


C4
 
Cfour.....this is a wonderful story!!! And a great milestone for you. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Why don't you make a little short video and share it with BoneSmart.....did you see the thread about submitting your story on video? You could be a star!:loveshower:
 
Oh yes! Interesting how we blame 'things' for our problems when all along it's our bodies!
 
:THUMB: C4, You have such an amazing, bilateral hip replacement story (and life!) that you really should make a video and tell the your whole ordeal.

Besides being very informative, funny and entertaining, you have an awesome, detail oriented memory.

From your decline in health to being back in the saddle, I for one have truly enjoyed and been entertained by you.

Come to think of it, you should write a book, "Back In The Saddle"!
 
Hmmm....can I make my video sitting on the back of my steed?? How soon must this be completed? :what:
Thanks everyone!:loveshower:

C4
 
Are you referring to the request for video stories? There is no time limit. It will be an on-going thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom