TKR I rode the roller coaster. Knee Replacement May 14.

So sorry to read this, @Ziggy100, but it's good that you've identified the problem and have a plan in place to deal with this issues. Hope they resolve soon. Keep us posted.

:console2:
 
Oh! Thank you for letting us know - this wouldn't have ever occurred to me as a possibility. I hope treatment makes a real difference!
 
Sorry to read your latest update, Ziggy. I hope the plan in place resolves the issue.
Happy Two Month Anniversary and lots of comfort to you.
@Ziggy100
 
Well, insurance won't pay for the vein procedure. I usually appeal these things but this time I just don't have the energy. It's compounded by the fact that the PT thinks it's mostly scar tissue from the vein graft I had for heart surgery. She massaged the tissue at length and my husband has also. It's a bit better.

I was mistaken when I said I was 10 weeks out before. I am NOW 8 weeks out. Lol. I guess it was wishful thinking.

I am getting increasingly frustrated. 3 more PT sessions. See the actual surgeon in follow up in a couple of weeks. Before I saw the surgeons PA two times.

I have questions:

1. I have a continuing black and blue mark over the kneecap, about 5 inches by 5 inches. Is this normal at this point.

2. I have given up the cane, but I am still extremely stiff in the morning. I look like Granny Clampet. Is this normal at this point?
 
The bruising: some people do retain it quite a while. If it's not getting fresher looking or growing, often we recommend moist heat and arnica gel to help an older bruise resolve more quickly.
However, the incision, even though healed outside, likely isn't 100% healed inside and as the incision runs over the kneecap it would be prudent to skip those home remedies and let "tincture of time" work.

The morning stiffness: mine started getting better around 12 weeks.
 
10 weeks now. Still super stiff in the morning. Taking 25 mgs of hydroxizine and sleeping like a baby though. I'm also stiff when getting up from a seated position. I'm ok once I'm walking. I have two more PT sessions left. Massage and use of a small rolling pin is helping with the scar tissue on the inside of the knee, but it still affects my extension and flexion. I have a lot less pain than before the surgery, but it's going to be quite a while before I am comfortable hiking again, of ever. I'll be 73 soon.
 
You have soooo much more time for improvement, I see no reason to give up your hiking goal, even if it's not until early next spring!

My bad morning stiffness was gone at 12 weeks but my "sat too long!" stiffness persisted for months and still bothers me sometimes - just takes a little in home walkabout to fix.

Even with that plus residual scar tissue at my R lateral quads, my knees are fully functional.

My 10 month milestones
10 months: resumed tai chi class after a years long break and for the first time ever was on my feet for the entire one hour class; visited my hillside friends again and was on my feet 2.5 hours including their stairs, walking up and down hills, walking up a steep outdoor staircase, walking around the hill and standing still to watch birds - no need to elevate or ice.
Plus I have walked a brisk non stop four miles, limited only by a new soft tissue pain at the L groin - as I have no history of hip problems and this might just be the upper quad issue, I have decided to not push further on the distance for now.

My walking progress was basically done in 1/4 mile increments as tolerated.
 
I agree with @mendogal. At “only” 10 weeks post op in a recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks (one year) you will see a lot of improvement in the weeks/months ahead. Many of us were unprepared for the length and slowness of this recovery,
 
I'm betting you'll hike again! :yes: Keep the faith!
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Ziggy!
@Ziggy100
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom