TKR I rode the roller coaster. Knee Replacement May 14.

(Sent to hospital for my left TKR due to heart history) Went home May 15. Immediately slept for 20 hrs. Got up to use the bathroom and promptly fell. EMS came and picked me up. Went back to bed, slept another couple of hours, got up, and fell again. It was agreed that I would go back to the hospital. Spent from the 16th to the 20th back in hospital. Discharged to nursing home/rehab center on the 20th. Spent the 20th to 23rd here at nursing home, but I am busting out tomorrow the 24th after my Ortho follow up appt. Long way to go, but most of the bruising is gone from the falls. Looks I'm going to have a slower recovery than most.
 
Oops I spaced out. Can this be moved to my post op thread please? Txia
 
I moved your post to your original recovery thread. :flwrysmile:

I’m so sorry you fell, twice! :yikes: Do they know what made you fall? I hope you are using a walker when you’re mo ing around. Do you like the care you’re getting at the nursing home?

Sending hugs! :console2:
 
Yay for busting out tomorrow, Ziggy! :yes!:
I'm sure you're feeling steadier on your feet and bet you'll be happy to get back home to your recovery nest.
Safe travels home! Let us know how you're doing once you're settled in at home again. :wave:
@Ziggy100
 
Thanks Jockett. I think they just think i was weak plus I am very sensitive to anesthesia and narcotics. The hospital was kind of just going to plan but sometimes square boxes don't fit into round holes. The nursing home is very rehab based and actually great overall. PT and OT twice per day has been great. Wish I could bring them to my house.

My husband and cat are missing me a lot and I sure miss them too.
 
Glad you’re busting out tomorrow. I know it’s always a relief to be in your own home. Make sure hubby waits on you and perhaps the cat can bring you sweet treats? Best of luck on continuing recovery.
 
Wow you’ve certainly had a rollercoaster… it’s amazing they let you alone so early after the op in the states…. In the uk for the first day at least they have a nurse with you if you need to get up and check your blood pressure before during and after to ensure you won’t faint…. It seems that you have fallen well and not disturbed the implant…. Which just shows how robust it is already… take it easy x
 
"amazing they let you alone so early after the op in the states…."

I think they send people home way too early in the US in general after procedures. Insurance Companies rule in some areas and that's one of them. In my case, sending me home so early cost them in triplicate.

Anyway, I'm home now, I'm showered, I'm in my recliner, I have my quilt on and my diluted oj by my side. I have to say I have been thrilled at the support and information from this site. I had my reacher, leg lifter, cryocuff, and other things before the nursing home/rehab introduced them thanks to all of you. I think I have realistic expectations going forward thanks to you. And I'm not going to let the PT pressure me thanks to you.

I went to my surgical follow up yesterday and they took off the large surgical strip. It turns out there are tiny horizontal strips securing the incision with glue! The steri strips are allowed to just fall off. The incision looks incredibly good!

Anyway, hoping you all have a wonderful weekend and the Americans a great Memorial Day!!!
 
Glad you’re home and have the necessary supplies. Your attitude is great. Your new horizontal stripes will look like a railroad track - you can be the little engine that could!
 
You're so funny. Thx for the support.
 
It's good for you to be back home and more clear-headed. I agree that we are 'kicked out' of the hospitals way too soon. I can be very unsafe, as you found out. Thank God you didn't receive any damage.
 
Only bruising and a sore shoulder. That was not cool for a few nights. I found out I was pretty dehydrated when I got to the rehab facility. I think the hospital should have been measuring that more closely, as it affected my strength with the walker. Somebody wasn't minding the store. I'm 73, not 25.
 
Congratulations, you have just embarked on exciting, frustrating, terrific, agonizing, depressing, positive physical journey that will be nothing at all like you imagined. With surgery done you will have a couple of weeks where, as my surgeon told me, you "will hate his guts!" Then, surprise, it will start getting better. Not a lot better, just better.
My very best advice as a bilateral TKR in my third month is to read Layla's tips for recovery, then read them again. Maybe even 3 times!
If you find you are doing anything that adds to your pain, stop it immediately. That's exercise, PT, walking, ANYTHING.
Ice and elevation are your best friends and even when you think all the swelling has gone, your knee will fell warm. You still have swelling! Ice it lots and expect that to go on for months and months and months. You are healing. Then, when you are well on your way to healing completely, then think about muscle tone but for now, NO WEIGHTS!
If you can, when you are becoming more mobile, try and warm the area before you do any stretching etc., especially the muscles and tendons, then afterwards, ice!
A reminder (don't call me Mr. Annoying for nothing) read Layla's posting again and ice lots!
 
Ha ha. I saw the surgeon in the clinic yesterday in passing. He said the reason he schedules everyone with his P.A. after surgery for the first post op visit is because everyone hates him. I told him I was already past that! He laughed, hard.

I'll keep icing. Had lots of icing during rehab too! I even had a nurse whose real name was Ice. She was of Phillipino descent.

I HAD to do hand weights for muscle tone. Not doing them is partially why I fell twice after surgery. I couldn't support my weight on the walker. I agree with you on no leg weights, though.

Good idea on warming the area before using the limb. I'll try that before PT.
 
Had my first pt session and I'm discouraged. My PT was very young and inexperienced. Do you think I would be judged if I asked for someone more experienced and who focuses on knees when I make more appointments? I have one more scheduled with this therapist.

She seemed disappointed with my status at 2 weeks, even though I explained about my double fall history since surgery. She asked if I did this and that in PT at the rehab facility and I explained that my focus was on getting to the bathroom independently.

She seemed wholly confused about what to do. She gave me 3 exercises to do, which I was already doing. One was leg rolls, another leg flattening on the bed, and the third leg slides up and down the bed. She also told me to walk every hour and to walk approximately 100 ft 3 times per day.

Other than this, I feel I'm doing okay, except that I am still using Dilaudid at night. PT thought I should wean off ASAP. I don't know how I would get to sleep without it at this stage....
 
Oh my!
Well at least she didn't go to the other extreme and push, pull, and stretch you!
The truth is, those three exercises are all you need to do at this point! It's way too early for any additional exercises.
(But yeah... I was walking 50 - 100 feet every hour, not three times a day)
 
Good to know. I should probably walk more, then.
 
Good to know. I should probably walk more, then.
Only if you tolerate it! We each progress at different rates, so let your knee be your guide on how far you walk. Only walk as far each time as 1) your knee doesn't complain and 2) you can maintain good upright structure
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom