Guest viewing is limited

TKR I really didn't know what I was getting into!

hi @Knees4Me ~ sounds like you had a good time in jamaica ~ i'm going there in february ~ that hot stone massage sounds wonderful. have you heard of the "mckenzie method" back exercises for sciatica. hubby bought the book on his kobo and i did the exercises for a few days and now my back is fine. i just have to watch i don't overdo it.

no i don't know who the 2nd best knee surgeon in toronto is but i'm sure he or she would do just as good a job as the one considered the best. my surgeon has his office adjacent to etobicoke general hospital and performs surgery at the new brampton hospital. i think he did a fine job on my replacement; however, he's quite young and he mentioned to me he hadn't done a certain procedure before (cleaning out scar tissue maybe?, can't remember the technical name for it). i like that he's honest. if you decide to go with a revision with your current surgeon, then make sure she has done this many times before and as Celle mentioned, get a second opinion from a surgeon completely unconnected to your current one; same thing if you have your other knee replaced.

if i remember correctly, you had very aggressive physiotherapy in the beginning which didn't help matters. i can't forget what you said about the therapist forcing your knee to make a complete rotation on the bike and it was excruciating for you. (i think it was you that posted that). that was so alarming for me ~ when my therapist had me try the bike, i was so afraid she might do it. thank goodness she left me alone at the end of my session to try the bike. hope you can get in sooner than later to get a second opinion.:flwrysmile::fingersx:
 
@Celle - Thanks. And, no, that top revision surgeon I want to see has NO association with my original orthopedic surgeon. No, they're not even golf buddies, I've been on this forum for a year now and that message is repeated time and time and time again, so by now it's imprinted on my brain. And that's why I did my research. I have asked around and consulted with satisfied knee replacement patients, my physiotherapist and my GP to find the top surgeon who does revisions, Now I'm told by the very snotty woman who handles his calls and appointments that it's a 14- or 15-month wait to see him. Heaven knows how long a wait it would be to have surgery scheduled with him! I really don't want to wait that long when I'm in such pain every day and now consider myself disabled. I can't even walk ten yards. Maybe I should just let my original surgeon "fix" me. She knows what she did to my knee. I don't know if Jamie can find me another top OS in Toronto. If she can, I'd be most grateful. The best in Canada are here. Travelling elsewhere is out of the question. I certainly could not afford to go to the U.S. As you may know, Canada has a publicly-funded health care system, which is totally unlike the United States. But I'm just about at my wit's end with this pain and inability to be able to do even as much asI could last January 2: the day before my TKR surgery. Thanks again for listening.
 
@liam2015 - I'm way ahead of you. Of course I plan to get a second - or even a third - opinion. And of course I'll ask my OS how many times she's done this type of revision before. I don t need to be told! These things have been on my mind for more than a year. It may be that my surgeon is perfectly fine if a patient's TKR is straight forward. But she herself told me the day after my op that my knee was "a challenge" to work on and I was "bigger on the top than on the bottom." But I naively had faith that everything would heal perfectly. I am SO disappointed that I'm in the what appears to be the minority when a TKR doesn't work. Also, the great majority of OSs and PTs here seem to believe in vigorous rehab. I asked my surgeon directly if my problem was caused by aggressive physio or made things worse and her answer was a definitive "no." I know that the thinking on this forum is the opposite. So there are two schools of thought. Personally, I believe some physio can be beneficial for recovery, but not pushing to the point of agony.

I haven't heard of the Mackenzie Method, but I'm certainly willing to try it! I had terrible sciatica after my surgery too. Thanks for the tip! And have a great time in Negril. I had intended to take an excursion there, but my knee wasn't up to it. Next time, I hope! Is your knee completely recovered now?
 
Thanks @Knees4Me, looking forward to our trip.

For your next surgery, whatever or whenever it may be, you will have a lot more knowledge and personal experience, you can keep on top of things. You are so right about surgeons and PT's here believing in vigorous physio early on; my surgeon did too, but I avoided it. I'm sure you've put your name on a cancellation list for that top surgeon you mentioned. You never know, you might get lucky if someone cancels; that's how I got my surgery sooner than I was prepared for.

Wishing you all the best of luck you get this fixed.:fingersx:
 
@Knees4Me .... amazingly I actually do have ONE surgeon to recommend in Canada and he just happens to be in Toronto:

broken link removed: https://orthopaedics.utoronto.ca/faculty/list/gollish.htm
Gollish, Dr. Jeff.
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre - Holland Orthopaedic & Arthritic Centre
43 Wellesley St. E., Suite 315. Toronto, ON M4Y 1H1
(416) 967-8730

Let me know how things go as I'd love the feedback for my files!
 
@Jamie - Thanks so much! It is amazing that you found a knee surgeon in Toronto! But he's a colleague of my OS in the same hospital where I had my LTKR done. So, according to the BoneSmart rules, he's obviously not a candidate. I've heard he's very good, though.
 
You’ve done your homework, and you’ve certainly put in your time. I hope you find a revision surgeon who can resolve your problem. I guess the question is whether you trust the OS who did your knee the first time through to have the knowledge and skill to fix the problem. Just going by what I’ve read, she knew the tibial platform was too large from the start, but simply hoped for the best. That’s not exactly reassuring. Her decision caused you a year of pain (so far).

It does sound like you had a relaxing time in Jamaica. I’m picturing that hot stone massage and experiencing deep envy.
 
I would be reporting that to the hospital. I would take control of this and make sure they did not hurt me and also make sure the consultant knows how you feel.

Makes me realise just how lucky I am with my Surgeon and PT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Google is your friend in relation to your Surgeon.

Before I went to see a consultant I Googled him to see what he was like. I was lucky I had private healthcare through work and went to a surgeon who was a world renowned sports surgeon with a history of fantastic knee results.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@glasgowolf - Yes, I've been reading the patient reviews on Rate MD on Google and I've searched other sites. All surgeons get mixed reviews. I heard about my original OS through word of mouth - mostly from her patients and my physiotherapist - that she has had a record of success with TKRs. Maybe my severely arthritic knee was just "a mess," as my GP said after the fact. I probably waited too long to have it replaced. The surgeon said my knee was "a challenge" to work on and that I was "bigger on the top than on the bottom." I realize that I didn't have enough information going into such major surgery (my GP told me it wasn't!) at the time, I'd never heard it could go wrong. My father had bilateral TKR in his late 70s and was "right as rain," driving again and ballroom dancing with my mother about three months later. I expected to be the same!! You can rest assured that I will grill my surgeon at my one-year review next week and have many questions to be answered before any future surgery, no matter who the surgeon may eventually be. In Canada we don't pay for these surgeries, so we're lucky that way with nationwide health care.
 
@glasgowolf - That long post of mine that you reposted was from a year ago, Jan. 20, 2017. It was mistakenly posted by a fellow Bonesmartie, but I see it has since been deleted. As you may have surmised by now, I'm about to go to my OS next week for my one-year review (slightly delayed by a short vacation - I just had to get away between surgeries!) I'm also looking for a revision surgeon in Toronto who can give me an opinion without waiting 14 to 15 months, as the gatekeeper for "top knee guy" said.
 
I do hope you can find a surgeon who specializes in replacements and has no association with your doctor. It’s hard to do. I’ve done a little myself just in case I end up going for a second opinion regarding my recovery and I didn’t have much luck. I’m going to ask my general dr when I see her this spring about docs in the area if I don’t feel better. I would be really nervous letting an OS, that put me in the shape you are in, try and fix it.
~ wishing you luck knee-twin with good thoughts and prayer.
:friends:
 
It can’t hurt to see another OS for a 2nd or 3rd opinion. I’d do that before giving your current surgeon a second chance. Can the top OS put you on their cancellation list?
 
@KarriB - I intend to try. I plan to do everything possible to advocate for myself, believe me! I should have done MUCH more of that in the first place, but I might not have gone for TKR if I'd known how wrong it could go!
 
So sorry to hear that my one and only surgeon is connected with your doctor. Rats!!! That puts me back at square one. I'm so sorry, but I don't have any other ideas.
 
@Jamie - Don't worry! You did your best and I really appreciate your suggestion. You weren't to know that OS was affiliated with mine. I'm inclined to wait for the "top knee guy" in town to see me - or to try and get in to see him if he has a cancellation. What do you think? I want to make sure I get the right revision. And maybe he can do my other knee right the first time!
 
I think it's more important to see the "right guy" than it is to see "some guy" sooner. I'd wait for the surgeon who was recommended and is experienced in revisions. Definitely put your name in there for a cancellation!
 
@Knees4Me, I'm not sure how the Canadian health system works, but often, here, another dr. can get you in to see a dr., even it Nurse Ratchett says he is booked out. If your GP won't try, could you go to another Internal Medicine specialist for an exam? In the course of the visit, perhaps you could bring up your knee situation and explain how you have tried to get in with Dr. X. The new dr. might be able to work a miracle. Good luck!
 
or to try and get in to see him if he has a cancellation
Let me tell you about clinics. They're to dissimilar to hotels who can tell you that they are fully booked but if a celebrity or dignitary should happen to turn up, they always have something available!
 
@Josephine - Ah, would that I were a celebrity! But I'm just an ordinary 68-year-old woman with a still-painful artificial knee, more than one year after LTKR surgery.

@Josephine @Celle @Jamie - I see my OS on Thursday for my one-year review. I know we'll be talking about a revision.

Should I let her go ahead with diagnostic tests? My guess, based on certain facts, is that the problem is tibial tray overhang, but I'm not a medical person.

Should I tell my surgeon that I want a second opinion?

And should I really put up with my level of pain and disability (I had to use wheelchairs through the airports on a recent trip and I need a cane to walk) while I wait for a consult in 14-15 months with "the best knee guy" in the city? That will mean a couple of years before surgery and recovery! And my bone-on-bone arthritic right knee needs replacing too!

These were years when my husband, who's 71 and has A-fib, and I had planned to travel while our health was still good. We both retired last year.) This top OS's peers in North America put him at the top of their list of 20 or so of the best OSs on the continent. He's a revision specialist and head of orthopedics at his hospital.

I can try to get in to see him earlier, but I have no connections, he's very busy and his "gatekeeper" is protective. I'm getting so confused that I don't know what's right for me any more! I just know that I want to get rid of this chronic pain asap and be able to walk normally again. That's the reason I had this darn surgery in the first place! I went into it with a positive attitude.

I had no idea it might not work. I'd never heard about anything but great results that "gave people their lives back." I''d greatly appreciate any advice.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom