Guest viewing is limited

TKR I really didn't know what I was getting into!

I'd be looking for another surgeon. I don't think I'd trust your current surgeon again. She appears to have made a mistake and chosen the wrong size tibial implant. The only reason I can think of to wait until one year after your original surgery is that another surgeon might not be willing to see you until then.
 
Please, please, please get a 2nd opinion.
I may be speaking "out of turn" re my following 2 points but I want to try to help.
- many physician sub-specialists have great difficulty (or zero ability to) admitting errors
- squeaky wheel gets the grease - here in southern Ontario you must advocate strongly for yourself - use any connections you have and/or go kicking (gently) and screaming (loudly) to your GP and/or OS for an emergent second opinion - bring the front office staff chocolates.
Good luck. I am sending positive thoughts.
 
Well the OS was apparently the top surgeon and revision specialist. At least she was completely honest right from the start and didn't try to pretend that everything had gone smoothly during the op. Rather than seek another surgeon I'd be pressing her hard to sort this situation out as a matter of urgency. Demand that she get going to repair the damage she'd done asap. Her professional reputation is at stake , make a fuss!!
Good luck. I'm so sorry you're having such a bad experience.
 
You want to have a surgeon who made a mistake on you to operate on you again?
That's not good. You think if you threaten her she will work harder?
These people are not car mechanics. Do yourself a favor get a new surgeon, bedside manners mean nothing.
Due your work and check out there record of success , available on the internet, reviews, failure rates.
I mean why risk another mistake.
 
Hi and thanks to all of you BoneSmarties who've sent opinions, advice, support - and even hugs! I really appreciate all!!

I want to stress that my surgeon and the hospital were highly recommended by my family doctor and my physiotherapist. I know several people who have had beautiful, successful knee replacements she's done.She IS a revision specialist, as well as an experienced orthopedic surgeon specializing in knee and hip replacements at one of Canada's top orthopedic hospitals. I don't think anyone, including me, should assume that she actually made a mistake. The two doctors today explained that if she had chosen a smaller tibial tray, she would have made a notch in the bone to insert it that could put the patient (me!) at risk of a fracture. I want to find out more. And, yes, I have the name of another excellent revision specialist at another, regular hospital. And, no, he doesn't play golf with my surgeon!

I definitely intend to get a second opinion when - and if - I decide to have a revision. I say if, because - and my surgeon said this was fine - I will try to improve my knee and reduce the pain with physio, deep massage, stretches, etc. Because the overhang of my tibial tray is one centimeter, she was surprised that it is causing me pain. Apparently, a majority of patients probably would not feel anything and it depends on how much tissue is impinged. That can't be seen on an X-ray, so I may ask for a scan of my soft tissue. I'm still hoping that continuing to work on my knee may lead to improvement. The surgeon said it may resolve. That's a good reason that she - and I - are not rushing into a revision. I want to avoid two TKRs on one knee. Apparently, it's much less likely I'd be able to have a third if the artificial knee wears out in 10 or 15 years, which is the normal lifespan. The surgeon said the deciding factor will be whether my knee improves on it's own or gets worse, which will mean seriously considering revision surgery. She said she wants me to be pain-free. However, I'm skeptical that a second surgery would get rid of the pain completely.

I also have other mental, dental and personal matters to take care of before January. One example: I have a frail 91-year-old mother who still lives alone in her house and refuses to move. My Dad passed away 10 years ago and my sister and only sibling died three years ago - and she lived in Mom's basement apartment. So now I'm the only family Mom has. She's a three-hour drive away and I'm trying to arrange home health care and support (e.g., medic alert/fall detection). I have to make the trip quite frequently, so can't be out of commission. We also have an ailing (kidney disease), beloved 16-year-old dog at home who needs constant care and now needs to be taken out about every 90 minutes - a little less at night, but our sleep is always broken. Going through that awful two or three months of extremely painful, drugged up recovery (I had to spend nearly all the time in bed, except for being taken to rehab twice a month) would be even more overwhelming this time. It's something I truly dread, based on my negative first surgery experience and (non?) recovery. Awful!!

Again, thank you all for letting me get all of this off my chest. I will definitely post an update here after my one-year review with my surgeon in January.
 
Very sorry to hear how difficult your life is at the moment. You poor thing. If only your knee op had been completely successful. Very best wishes.
 
And, yes, I have the name of another excellent revision specialist at another, regular hospital. And, no, he doesn't play golf with my surgeon!

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row, including this one. It made me smile and think you have some of your fighting spirit back already!

I am hoping/praying/sending good vibes that some PT will be helpful - it is definitely doing something for me and these soft tissues. I'm also glad to know you have another revision specialist to get the 2nd opinion in case you need it (might want to check into this sooner just to gather as much info as possible, but as Celle said, they may not see you until after a year). Bottom line, this can be a year long recovery (or more) and some of us are slow healers (ME) with swelling and heat and pain. But, I look at it as I'm 3/4 of the way through this journey, so I have 3 more months of "healing" to do.
 
I too was going to suggest finding another surgeon, etc., but... you've got this. Your grit and determination to know your facts, understand your medical situation, and make clear-headed decisions that take into account your time and personal circumstances comes through in every post. It's heart-breaking you are in this situation at all.

The one thing that still bothers me at this point: your surgeon knew she'd put in a large tibial platform and she must have known all along what was causing your pain. Was she open about this with you? Or did you just find out about this aspect the other day? Not knowing why you were in pain was difficult for you. I just wonder why your surgeon didn't realize/attempt sooner to set this right somehow. I guess she was hoping it would all work out given time, but you have truly suffered.

I hope with all my heart your decisions lead you to a knee-pain free life. Best wishes, too, in settling your mother. I've been dealing with a 94 year old relation and it's a great weight on the mind, until you know your loved one is in a safe, good place.
 
I want to avoid two TKRs on one knee. Apparently, it's much less likely I'd be able to have a third if the artificial knee wears out in 10 or 15 years, which is the normal lifespan.
I think you have been misinformed on two counts here:
  1. It is entirely possible to have a second revision of a knee. It may involve having a tibial implant with a longer stem, but it is definitely possible to have more than one revision.
  2. Nowadays, TKRs are lasting 30-40 years, not 10-15.
I'm sorry your mother is being so definite about refusing to move - although I do understand it. That does make it difficult for you, and it's also hard to make sure she is being given adequate care.

You will know when the time is right to do something more about your knee, but there will come a time when you have to put your own needs first. Please don't let your other responsibilities lead you into choosing a diminished quality of life for yourself. :friends:
 
@Josephine - Thanks you for you reply yesterday, Post #297, in which you said:

"Well, that was a silly thing for her to do. Everyone knows in knees, that if the size is midway between two, you always go for the smaller one. In hips it's always the bigger one!"

However, with all due respect, this is what you wrote to me about the tibial tray in knee surgery on August 29, in Post #277:

"In these cases, the surgeon will always opt for the larger of the two because it's known that this is the best way to go."

Which is correct?

As the docs explained to me, insertion of the smaller tibial tray requires the surgeon to cut a notch in the bone, creating a higher risk of fracture for the patient, hence the larger tray is the preferred choice.

Thanks for taking the time to provide me with this information.
 
This is just dreadful. I’m so sorry to hear of all your troubles, knee and otherwise.

From everything you’ve stated, I think you have a very firm grasp on the knee situation. In your shoes, I would wait and see if improvement comes with more time, but while waiting, I’d seek out a second opinion, just to be best informed.

Sending you some good vibes and hope for a less painful future!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What an awful time you have had. I think you're right to seek out a second opinion. I pray you can get things taken care of with your mom. Have you considered assisted living? Your mom would still have her own room, with some of her own stuff, but with 24 hour monitoring. My mom did quite well in one. I think it would be best for you and your mom. Your knee needs fixing asap.
 
@sistersinhim - Thanks. Yes, that would be best. But my mother is stubborn, mentally competent and determined to stay in her bungalow three hours away from me "because she likes it." So I can't force her to leave. She won't listen to reason. I'm just trying to line up as much care and support for her as possible. I don't know what will happen if I eventually have a revision and am incapacitated for weeks or months...
 
@SusieShoes - Thank you. Yes, I believe my surgeon did think it would all work out. She was honest post- op about my challenging knee. But she said yesterday that I could be one in 10 patients with exactly the same situation on the X-rays and the other 10 wouldn't feel a thing. So not a mistake on her part - just unfortunate knee anatomy for me. I'm still hoping to exercise, go to regular physio and be able to go to my one-year review, nearly four months from now, with no - or at least much less - pain...fingers crossed!
 
I agree too that you don't want to suffer in pain, but if there is still a chance, and soft tissues is the issue, I believe in giving this recovery all of the year they say it can take. (plus or minus 6 months lol). Hoping physio can give you some specific massage or stretch to help.
 
@jaschembra - I agree about waiting for the full 12 months plus about six more! I'll continue physio and all other avenues before I agree to be opened up again. Apparently, a full revision operation takes longer because the surgeon has to remove the first artificial knee, etc. There will be more exposure to infection too! I just feel sick about having to endure another extremely painful ordeal! TKR surgery is widely acknowledged to have one of the most painful recoveries. And here in Canada they're being extremely stingy giving patients painkillers because of the opioid crisis. Yes, the surgeon doesn't want me to still be living with pain after she perfomed the first operation, but I'll have to be at my wit's end with it before I go under the knife again!! And then I have my other severely arthritic knee to have replaced. Maybe twice as well??!! Maybe never!!!! What a nightmare!!
 
@Knees4Me, I can certainly understand your concerns about possibly needing a revision, but I wonder if it is actually as painful of a recovery as the original tkr? Obviously, I've no idea, but I'd think it might be less so? Perhaps someone here who has gone that route can give details and that may ease your mind just a tad?
 
Which is correct?
Actually, both are correct because the first comment was about the plastic insert

"There is an optimum size for the spacer but sometimes the measurement falls between to two. But the difference between them is only a few millimetres so it's not critical if it falls between two. In these cases, the surgeon will always opt for the larger of the two because it's known that this is the best way to go."

This more recent comment was about the metal parts.
As the docs explained to me, insertion of the smaller tibial tray requires the surgeon to cut a notch in the bone, creating a higher risk of fracture for the patient, hence the larger tray is the preferred choice.
Really? Never heard of that before!
 
Wow! I think you should be shopping around for a different surgeon. This does not sound like someone at the top of her game. So sorry you're experiencing this!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom