Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I've read the mantras and the healing advise timelines . but I'm so tired ,I go to town 3 days a week for lab and pt. Pt is 1 1/2 hours. When I'm done I get home an go straight to bed to ice. I wake several times during the night but go back to sleep. I take norco motrin and Valium for pain. I get out off bed to take showered and go to bathroom. I do a short walk around the hose maybe 5 min 2 or 3 times. Will I get less tired soon I am 10 days out bil knees. Do I need to push more. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
 
@rogersne You are only a few weeks out. Lack of sleep is common and very aggravating. Hubby had PT 3 times a week for 45 minutes. Days of PT he did no other exercise. The energy drain will stay with you for awhile. Your body is taking all your energy to heal. Make sure you are eating protein. I think you are doing enough. Hubby is 11 1/2 weeks out with second knee and is just now showing that he is getting his energy back. It will take time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much for the quick reply. You made me feels so much better. I guess its take it ad it comes . thanks again
 
@rogersne You are welcome, glad I could ease your mind. The first month concentrate on getting rid of swelling, gentle exercise, keep pain under control, eat even if you aren't hungry.
 
Good advice from Tired Wife---this is not the time to focus on loosing weight, this is the time to eat extra protein so that your bones can heal. I spent about 80% of my time in bed with the knees propped up and iced for the first two weeks. After that, most of the swelling was gone and I began to move around more.
 
It's me again. Things seem to be going fine. Still worn out all the time. Stopped using a walker and am onto the sparkley cane granddaughter thought I needed. Pt is 3 days a week. This week I have dr appt after pt. got my staples out. That was not the most pleasant thing but no more snagging. Steri strips that will wear off replace them. . Doc said I was doing fine and range of motion was great. No pillows under knees ever. Said the healing sore next to my outer left knee was a tape blister. Funny go into Hosp with 1 allergy sulfa come out with allergy to morphine, tape , and the stuff they scrub your legs with before surgery. Lots of benedryl.
Am I glad I did both? Definitely. Lots of naysayers in pt and nursing. One 80 yr old lady said I just liked being a martyr? What!doubles are new to my Hosp. Most orthos that come here won't do them. They average less than one double a year. I think they'll be doing a lot more. My Hosp stay was not longer and ifi sat in chair that was not to low. I could get up and down by myself.
Off Coumadin next week and I can drive week after. Thanks to the rest ice and elevate very little pain. All the great ideas you won't think of yourself were found on this sight. I wore pajamas from 1st day. I wore baggy knit shorts sports bras tee shirts. I brought a bag of mixed fruit and nuts to eat when I took pills. Never could eat the meals. Actually drank the ensure. Well thanks to everyone. Deb
[Bonesmart.org] I made it
2 weeks out


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations on your BTKR. I had mine done June 30, so today is 4 months. It was definitely worth it, even considering that the first 3 weeks were terrible.

I'm just curious if I read your post right. You had surgery on 10/15 and will be driving next week? That is amazingly fast, at least by my recovery times. I wasn't able to drive until halfway through week 5, and part of the reason was the leg movement required to quickly move from the gas to the brake in an emergency, but the other thing was that I was on narcotics and driving is dangerous. Frankly I thought I could handle driving while on Oxy, but was terrified that if there was an accident, even a minor one, I'd get charged with driving under the influence (drugs or alcohol are both DUI offenses)

If you're really able to safely drive 3 weeks after surgery, then a big congratulations.
 
I thinkb he means 4 weeks but I'm like you o. Narcotics I have to go about it 17 miles both ways and I'm like you on narcotics so I doubt if I will drive when he says I can he did not tell me to stop taking the narcotics either as long as long as no holds out I'll have him drive his me
 
Some of those mixed fruits may also help prevent the common problem of constipation from the pain meds. I liked dried apricots. :)
 
@rogersne I'm so impressed with anyone who has both knees done at the same time. To me, it's smart to get the whole thing over with at once. Good for you! No, I didn't do that but I only needed to have one knee teplaced, the other one is just fine. You're only two weeks post-op, of course you're tired! I was tired all the time for weeks. I think our bodies protect us that way. Rest, ice, meds... No appetite. So interesting to not be hungry for days on end. I mean, looking back it's interesting. It didn't bother me. I just ate a little several times a day and I always started my day with ice cold milk. It helped the pills go down and I love milk anyway. Everyone is different but I settled on having cottage cheese with almonds and raisins added for lunch almost ever day. Not a large serving but it was so good (also added nutmeg and cinnamon). A few times I wanted only steamed broccoli. If I wanted a snack it was nuts, nuts are great. Cashews, walnuts, macadamias. I'm glad you've hit upon nuts as a way to get the pills down. When it came time for dinner I usually wanted vanilla ice cream. Bad, bad! Nevertheless, with almost total inactivity, I lost a few pounds on this weird way of eating. I say eat whatever you want. You probably won't eat much of it, no matter what it is. I'm at three months post-op now, my appetite is mostly back, and my activity is close to normal. It will happen but don't dwell on it now. Just take it easy and let people wait on you. You deserve it!!
 
Thanks for replying. It's funny I was the one that wanted to drop about 20 lbs before the surgery. I ate very healthy the 2 months before the surgery. Made the 20 lbs 10 more came off after the surgery. Doc told me stop dieting or you won't heal.( I have a feeling I ehould hVe recorded that as I'll never hear it again)I'm not just could care less about food.. I have a feeling when this is over I'll be putting it back twice as fast. Hope not. I know the dried fruits are not that good for you but they tasted so good. I love tomato juice too. Until I'm off this Coumadin I'm not supposed to go heavy on the dark green veg.
Something I wanted to ask. My friend had her knee done the 28th of October. sent her home in 3 days with hydrcordone. She hurts a lot. Not sure what this is but is it strong enough? I have 3 different meds I can mix by how bad the pain is. Can she ask for something stronger? Everything seems to be going greAt. Great rom. And Bp won't stay up. Taking cpm back tomorrow. Steri strips sure don't stay on well! No more Ted hoseoff Coumadin in another week most likely illbe starving by thanksgiving
 
@rogersne Eating very healthy is good, no matter the reason. I'm sure it helped. Pretty impressive that you were able to lose so much. I wouldn't worry about trying to diet right now. Don't you have enough on your plate? (That could be taken two ways; couldn't it? But I only meant that right now your one and only job is recovery.)

Your friend should call her OS and let him know her pain isn't being well controlled. Of course she can ask for something stronger --- and she should!
 
@rogersne - sounds like you are doing really well with your recovery. I'm 9 weeks post op on my BTKR and am still tired. The surgery takes a lot out of you plus the pt and other activities are physically draining. Give yourself more time to feel like yourself.

As far as your friend, the hydrocodene for me was never as effective as the oxy. I moved on to ibuprofen during the day because I needed to be able to drive. She should ask for stronger meds.
 
I think I'm depressed. I don't want to get out and do anything. Half way through a trip to Walmart I had to snit on a bench and wait my knees hurt all the time if I don't take my meds but everybody keeps saying I should be cutting back. How long do people need pain pills after bilateral knees?
I have reached all my goals in pt. they are haing me come back 4 more times since I need to go back to work at 8 weeks. I'm They think they have a few more things they could work me on. I got up in the middle of the night and slipped on the hard wood. Hit my knees and my face . Knocked bottom teeth through bottom lip. Don't think I'm very lucky lately. Tops of knees are still numb so I don't think I did any damage. Thanks for letting me vent. Deb
 
Wow, you reached all of your PT goals already?! Seriously, if you're slipping and falling at home seems like you need more therapy focused on balance and such. Be careful!
 
my knees hurt all the time if I don't take my meds but everybody keeps saying I should be cutting back. How long do people need pain pills after bilateral knees?

Well, "everyone" is wrong! If you have pain, you need to take pain relief medication. (Has "everyone" had even one knee replacement, let alone two at the same time?)

Some people still need pain medications at up to 4 months from surgery. Others can tail off earlier. There's no had and fast rule. The time to start cutting back is when you find that you are forgetting to take doses.

It's only a month since your surgery. Don't try to rush things. You should still be mostly resting and only going out for very short trips.

You are at the stage where it is perfectly normal to feel depressed. Hang in there. It will pass.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
@rogersne - so sorry you had such a terrible fall. That has to be scary. Did you call your surgeon to see if you needed to be checked out?

If you are in pain, you need to be on some kind of pain meds. I switched over to motrin or advil during the day some where around 7 weeks because I needed to drive and used hydrocodene at night. At 12 weeks, I am still taking motrin as needed and before bed since I weaned myself off the hydrocodene. Everyone is different, but definitely no one benefits from being in pain!

I found it helpful to revisit the "P's" of knee replacement surgery when I had my blue moments. Sounds like you've accomplished a lot with meeting your PT goals so early. That's awesome and something to be proud of!
 
ThAnks for all the helpful replies. I'mI've only had the one fall and it did more damage to my face than knees. How long does pt usually take.? I took my 4 weeks and she said I had met all my goals. Not sure what the goals are. Besides balance and rom. She said if I waned more insurance would be fine with it. After the fall that's a deviate yes. Said I eould do hydrotherapy and treadmill. I think she knows how physical my job is. I'm expected back at 8 weeks. Thanks again for your help. Freezing in nebraska. Deb
 
From one BTKR alumnus to another, I welcome you to the "Other Side."!!
Will I get less tired soon I am 10 days out bil knees. Do I need to push more. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Please keep in mind that you are still rather early in the grand scheme of recovery, and having a BTKR can be very taxing---stamina, which you lack, is actually one of the last aspects to return---your body is expending a large amount of energy just attempting to recover and to heal.

How long do people need pain pills after bilateral knees?
Aas long as they need to! I took Oxycontin for about four weeks.

Remember---everybody is unique, and since that is the case, everybody's recovery is unique and different
I'm expected back at 8 weeks.
I returned to the classroom at eight weeks, and that was much too early---everybody has to do what they have to do, but I would urge you, after having tremendous surgical trauma on both knees to take a longer time before you return to work.
.
 
Ok its been awhile. I went to my doctor for my 8 weeks release. He said because of what I do I could only do 4 hour days. Alternate sitting and standing. He actually told my husband that waiting till mid January would be a good idea. Sure stirred things up. Anyway went back for the 4 hours a day the 1st week Dec 22. This next week I am to work the 4 hours a day but my boss wants me to try and stay the 10 as we are so short of help. I think I can do it. Just not too fast. Im really not in a lot of pain just get tired when standing. Something I was wondering did any of you wake up because of knee pain. If I dont get up when it starts hurting mornings it just keeps getting worse. If I get up and start moving around the pain goes away. Weird huh? I guess my worst problem is stiffness. I went to a movie the other night and had to keep moving my legs because they felt asleep. Does it take awhile for the stiffness to go away? Last week I was still at the what did I do level this week Im beginning to see the reason. I think Im bored and depressed and going back to work is what I need. Thanks for all the helpfull info and comments. Oh by the way the lady I talked about that had her left knee done still cannot bend it. Pt said they had done all they could do so I hope her doc has some good advise. She is still on the heavy pain meds and sometimes she hurts so bad she cries. I feel so bad for her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom