Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chas

Can you add your surgery date to yor signature? Anyway, it seems really soon to be released from PT, to me. I am at almost 11 weeks and have PT twice weekly. Next Tuesday is my last prescribed day of PT and I am going to ask for an extension as I am still not happy with my gait or flexibility. My PT will put in the request directly to the doctor. I am pretty sure he will prescribe another 4 to 6 weeks for me. You might communicate your goals to your PT and ask her/him for the same. They generally listen well to their patients, in my experience.

You sound as though you are recovering well and getting stronger fast. Good for you!

Suki
 
It amazes me how different all our post op experiences are. I was not allowed to have PT for three weeks post op other than the foot pumps, heel slides and such they showed in the hospital. I am five weeks out and using a cane but can do a bit of walking without it.

I know we are all different, but that much activity this close out I would have been crying.

My PT is great. He seems to know when to push and when to ease off and often has me rest between exercises. Make sure you have a rapport that you feel comfortable telling the PT when it hurts or you're tiring, etc. Mine said we should never go so far in a session that I am in pain.

Keep up the good work and glad your digestive system is working now. I'm still taking softeners and it's not gotten easy. Bloated and in pain at the same time is miserable.
Be good to yourself,
Nancy
 
Hi,

Its very nice to read your update I am doing fine...I was in hospital for 6 days, came home and started a new recovery thread. I am doing ok..we dont have PT here in India for hip replacement. My husband was there with me in hospital and was my biggest strength thru the whole stay..currently staying with parents may be for few more days and then once i get a full time help in home i will go back. I need someone to take care of my kid when my husband goes to office. Discomfort is still there but everyday is getting better. My doc says no restrictions. But there is one thing seems to bother me is lying down on my back is very painful...i cant stretch my operated leg fully....my calf muscles hurt a lot...so i keep a pillow currently...hope it gets sorted out soon...Hope you are doing fine with your recovery...God bless take care
 
Chas, I am just catching up with your thread. Please don't worry about when you will walk unaided. What usually happens is you start leaving the crutch or cane behind. But it sometimes take awhile to build up the muscle strength post-op.

Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Hi Chas,
Welcome to the other side. :egypdance: I was reading your postings on PT and was wondering if you are being released from home care PT or out patient PT. I had three weeks in home PT and was release to continue out patient PT, which my insurance covers. These extra sessions have been valuable to regain flexibility, function and more. I also, had a choice between water and regular. If you need to build up your muscles or work to improve your gait, you may want to check with your insurance for coverage.

I still use a cane after 12 weeks and that's okay. :happydance: Just remember your recovery is not a race and to list to your body. If you still need something to assist you, use it. Several short walks early on is better than a long one. Remember a number is just a number and if your body says you have had enough - stop! :spin: Keep it slow and steady and stop when you need to. Ice and elevating will continue to help long into your recovery.

Pat
 
Hi,

Its very nice to read your update I am doing fine...I was in hospital for 6 days, came home and started a new recovery thread. I am doing ok..we dont have PT here in India for hip replacement. My husband was there with me in hospital and was my biggest strength thru the whole stay..currently staying with parents may be for few more days and then once i get a full time help in home i will go back. I need someone to take care of my kid when my husband goes to office. Discomfort is still there but everyday is getting better. My doc says no restrictions. But there is one thing seems to bother me is lying down on my back is very painful...i cant stretch my operated leg fully....my calf muscles hurt a lot...so i keep a pillow currently...hope it gets sorted out soon...Hope you are doing fine with your recovery...God bless take care

Deepika read your post glad your ok , but it sounds like you may need more PT so you can get to where your leg can straighten out. In the hospital that was one of the first exercises they showed me. I remember doing it all the time (straightening the leg out point your toes and flexing your foot) it also stops clotting. It will get better and better we just have to keep trying in our own way. You take care...
 
Hi Chas,
Welcome to the other side. :egypdance: I was reading your postings on PT and was wondering if you are being released from home care PT or out patient PT. I had three weeks in home PT and was release to continue out patient PT, which my insurance covers. These extra sessions have been valuable to regain flexibility, function and more. I also, had a choice between water and regular. If you need to build up your muscles or work to improve your gait, you may want to check with your insurance for coverage.

I still use a cane after 12 weeks and that's okay. :happydance: Just remember your recovery is not a race and to list to your body. If you still need something to assist you, use it. Several short walks early on is better than a long one. Remember a number is just a number and if your body says you have had enough - stop! :spin: Keep it slow and steady and stop when you need to. Ice and elevating will continue to help long into your recovery.

Pat
Hi Chas,
Welcome to the other side. :egypdance: I was reading your postings on PT and was wondering if you are being released from home care PT or out patient PT. I had three weeks in home PT and was release to continue out patient PT, which my insurance covers. These extra sessions have been valuable to regain flexibility, function and more. I also, had a choice between water and regular. If you need to build up your muscles or work to improve your gait, you may want to check with your insurance for coverage.

I still use a cane after 12 weeks and that's okay. :happydance: Just remember your recovery is not a race and to list to your body. If you still need something to assist you, use it. Several short walks early on is better than a long one. Remember a number is just a number and if your body says you have had enough - stop! :spin: Keep it slow and steady and stop when you need to. Ice and elevating will continue to help long into your recovery.

Pat
My wife has said the same thing. Each person does thing at their own pace, I am having home based PT sure what else may be in store. Will see my surgeon in three days then I will have a better idea of where I stand. As you have stated flexibly and function are very important. Hope all is going well for you, I can't imagine 12 weeks right now time goes by so slow. Take care:thumb:
 
Hi and welcome to the other side...... my physio started the morning after my surgery and I have gone on to do them three times a day since surgery and I am sure this has been one of the reasons I got off crutches etc so soon ( week five) and have been doing so well since! Even had some private physio and now, week fifteen post op, do them once a day.... usually in the morning before I get up. They did make everything ache in the early days but I persevered......now, no looking back!

So I would encourage you to go with it as, in the long run, you will be more mobile!

Had no problems with constipation post surgery but think you are doing the right thing with the suggestions....... wishing well with your recovery:puppysmooze:
 
Hi and welcome to the other side...... my physio started the morning after my surgery and I have gone on to do them three times a day since surgery and I am sure this has been one of the reasons I got off crutches etc so soon ( week five) and have been doing so well since! Even had some private physio and now, week fifteen post op, do them once a day.... usually in the morning before I get up. They did make everything ache in the early days but I persevered......now, no looking back!

So I would encourage you to go with it as, in the long run, you will be more mobile!

Had no problems with constipation post surgery but think you are doing the right thing with the suggestions....... wishing well with your recovery:puppysmooze:

Poppyfields thanks for the encouraging words yes I will keep pushing on. I have to be true to myself, hope I can do as well as you are doing. you go girl:dancy:
 
Hey ya Chas :) I'm glad to hear things are going so well for you so far. I hit my one month post op tomorrow and I still use
a cane for most my ventures from room to room. I will occasionally purposely hold it up and practice without it about
20 feet off and on. I can do it, but I still much more comfortable with the cane. My doctor only does PT for knee patients
not hips, so I was sent home after two days with only the foot flapping thing for home pt. I kinda feel neglected after
reading everyone else's post. lol
I am glad you can poop now. lol I too had the problem, got a bottle of glycerine suppositories and a stool softener
and now I'm good to go.
Keep on doing what you are doing, sounds like you are doing great.

Pam
 
Hey ya Chas :) I'm glad to hear things are going so well for you so far. I hit my one month post op tomorrow and I still use
a cane for most my ventures from room to room. I will occasionally purposely hold it up and practice without it about
20 feet off and on. I can do it, but I still much more comfortable with the cane. My doctor only does PT for knee patients
not hips, so I was sent home after two days with only the foot flapping thing for home pt. I kinda feel neglected after
reading everyone else's post. lol
I am glad you can poop now. lol I too had the problem, got a bottle of glycerine suppositories and a stool softener
and now I'm good to go.
Keep on doing what you are doing, sounds like you are doing great.

Pam

Hey JustaDreamer I was flying along but my hip seems a little sore last 2 days trying to take it easy and not over do it. I know your not neglected the most important person that we have is us. We have to believe in ourselves and get by all of this, it's not going to be this way always we have to think about the future. Keep the faith and stay in touch:yes!:
 
Hi Chas, I would just like to weigh in on the PT issue. I started out patient PT the week after my surgery and was approved for twelve sessions. My recovery improved very rapidly and after eight sessions I had them set me up with some light gym exercises and pulled the plug on the remaining four. The gym work consisted of light cardio ( treadmill, cycle, eliptical) and light strengthening with resistance. I still continued my home program using what i learned at PT. It is of my opinion that the more confidence that we have in our new hips the more we will aske it to do. The more we aske it to do the more it will respond. Of course all this is done gradually, in small increments and with a great deal of common sense. Also with a keen ear listening to our body. If it tell is to back up, we back up. The important thing is gaining confidence in our new hips. I dont think when we start is as important as what we do when we do start. As always all exercise should be done with with professional guidance.
 
Hello folks had my first post-op appointment with my OS this week, it's been 2weeks now had surgery on July 12. He gave me a all clear to try walking unassisted for short stints and use only one crutch now. Will be able to drive in another week and cleared to go back to work in 2 more weeks (total of 4). I have a sit down job (Information Technology Mgr) so that's why I get such a early release. Tennis I still have a few weeks to go (4 to 6 wks) have to read my body, it's been a lot of ups and downs but I hope that I will be a better person from this. May still be able to play in a our state Tennis tournament in October (Litchfield in SC) I realize that it may only be doubles on clay. But after what I have been thru over the last few years ( you hippies know what I'm talking about :yay:) this will be sweet. I still have a long way to go but, not as far as before.... Thanks for all of the support that I have received, I will continue to support and cheer for everyone in our journey because we are all stars....:cheers:
 
Chas, I am still walking with a cane after 7 weeks, due to adhesion of scar tissue to muscle, which causes tightness and pain. I would guess if you can walk unassisted without lurching and limping, then good on you. If it is NOT a normal gait, or painful, you should keep your walking aid. My PT said to continue to ice twice a day for the foreseeable future. It sounds like you may be rushing a few things a bit. Remember, the soft tissue that was violated during your surgery needs TIME TIME TIME to heal. You know your body better than your PT does, so do what you feel is right.
 
Hi Chas great to read you story! Well done on such a great recovery. My op was July 9th and I can honestly say I have had no pain whatsover on the hip and have not taken any pain meds other than whT I presume they gave me in the hospital. had my staples out last Thursday and my first Physio session...she met me in the waiting room and said okay hand me your crutches and made me walk down teh passage unaided!! i could do it but not confidently. She also got me to stand on one leg (the operated side) which I have been practising and can do now confidently. Its amazing the different recommedations we have all had!
And you are soon going back to work! I still find it difficult to concentrate for long periods and get very tired. As a Kindy Teacher I have taken all term off and wont go back till October. Fortunately I had enough sick leave accrued so that wasnt an issue.
Congrats of such a successful recovery and may you continue to go from strenth to strength

Liz
RTHR July 9th 2012
 
Chas, I am still walking with a cane after 7 weeks, due to adhesion of scar tissue to muscle, which causes tightness and pain. I would guess if you can walk unassisted without lurching and limping, then good on you. If it is NOT a normal gait, or painful, you should keep your walking aid. My PT said to continue to ice twice a day for the foreseeable future. It sounds like you may be rushing a few things a bit. Remember, the soft tissue that was violated during your surgery needs TIME TIME TIME to heal. You know your body better than your PT does, so do what you feel is right.

Debkakes you may be right because I still have a slight limp and by afternoon my hip is sore. I will have to so it down and not get so carried away with a little progress. It used to be at the end of the day the pain would come but not so much now just sore, but my gait is not right. I don't really think that I could work a whole day if I'm honest with my self. Thanks again for the reality check I seem to need it from time to time. My wife has been telling me the same thing, slow and easy.... Thanks:friends:
 
Hi Chas great to read you story! Well done on such a great recovery. My op was July 9th and I can honestly say I have had no pain whatsover on the hip and have not taken any pain meds other than whT I presume they gave me in the hospital. had my staples out last Thursday and my first Physio session...she met me in the waiting room and said okay hand me your crutches and made me walk down teh passage unaided!! i could do it but not confidently. She also got me to stand on one leg (the operated side) which I have been practising and can do now confidently. Its amazing the different recommedations we have all had!
And you are soon going back to work! I still find it difficult to concentrate for long periods and get very tired. As a Kindy Teacher I have taken all term off and wont go back till October. Fortunately I had enough sick leave accrued so that wasnt an issue.
Congrats of such a successful recovery and may you continue to go from strenth to strength

Liz
RTHR July 9th 2012

LizzieGee I'm not that confident walking all the time, the more I'm on my feet I start wearing down. Yes I can stand on one leg and such but I will have to slow it a bit. Wife said that its not how I start but how I finish, can't believe she said it but she is oh so right. It's good to get different perspectives from folks and compare our like experiences. Good luck to you on working with the kids the world will be a much better place because of people like you:yes!: Stay in touch...
 
Hi Chas. Listen to your wife. She is a wise woman. :) Short walks throughout the day rather than going for distance is probably more helpful. It's important to not allow a limp to settle in, so use the cane outside the house faithfully until there is no limp. In PT, they stress to me the importance of paying attention to how I walk....put the heel down first and follow through with the whole foot and then push off with the ball of the foot. The cane is more for stability than for strength...if I feel that I'm relying on the cane, and I have pain even with the cane, it means I've gone too far...done too much. Pull back time. Lie down. Ice. And pain meds....stay ahead of the pain. You don't need to ween off them just yet. The limp is saying you still have pain. Use the meds to be able to walk limp-free. As your muscle strength increases, you will be able to stay limp-free even when you taper off the meds. But it doesn't happen overnight. The process can take several months. Be the tortoise, not the hare. :)

Sharon
 
Hi Chas. Listen to your wife. She is a wise woman. :) Short walks throughout the day rather than going for distance is probably more helpful. It's important to not allow a limp to settle in, so use the cane outside the house faithfully until there is no limp. In PT, they stress to me the importance of paying attention to how I walk....put the heel down first and follow through with the whole foot and then push off with the ball of the foot. The cane is more for stability than for strength...if I feel that I'm relying on the cane, and I have pain even with the cane, it means I've gone too far...done too much. Pull back time. Lie down. Ice. And pain meds....stay ahead of the pain. You don't need to ween off them just yet. The limp is saying you still have pain. Use the meds to be able to walk limp-free. As your muscle strength increases, you will be able to stay limp-free even when you taper off the meds. But it doesn't happen overnight. The process can take several months. Be the tortoise, not the hare. :)

Sharon

Sharon thanks for all of your wise information, what you are saying makes perfect sense. I seem to sometimes get carried away with trying to speed thru the process and need to just slow it down, which I will. All of the wonderful people on the forum have been amazing and very helpful. I feel very blessed to have found this place their is always someone that has been where you are going, and willing to share information with others. That makes is so much easier to go thru this journey. Thanks Sharon good to hear from you...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom