Guest viewing is limited

TKR I made it to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KarriB, yes, now I'm going like every 1-2 hours, I ththithink it's because not only am I drinking a lot because I feel so dry, but the iv also, they took the iv out this morning, well just unplugged me from the fluids, I still have the needle in, I am now waiting for pt to come and get me up for the 1st time since surgery
 
That's something you don't want to worry about on top of the knee! They didn't get me up for 24 hours either. I was unprepared for the lack of modesty I needed upon getting up, etc. make sure your meds on time, especially with getting up!
 
They got me up and just had me sit in the chair, wasn't too bad, was a little painful, sat in the chair for about 45 minutes, now back in my bed and ready for a nap, did not sleep well at all last night, 15-20 minute intervals, and they are pretty good with making sure I'm not in pain.
 
Good to hear you are getting up. Definitely nap whenever you can too. Wishing you good :sleep:
 
Glad you are doing ok and getting your meds!!
 
After surgery I could pee with no issues, but the bowel movements were stubborn:nah:I was told I could be released but that an enama was required to make sure all was functioning...:holysheep:so I received my second TKR and my first enama...:flabber:...onward to rehab world!
 
I'm due to go home tomorrow, so hopefully I will go sometime today without the help of an enema.
 
The medication for pain relief cause constipation in most people. You will probably find you need to keep taking something to help once you get home. This article might help:
Constipation and stool softeners
 
Miralax finally helped me while eating apples and lots of salad.
 
Ditto on the Miralax. I started taking it when I got home and haven't had any problems in that department.
 
They gave me Senokot last night and again this morning, I have been passing gas, but no bm yet, I even drank some apple juice which I normally don't drink because it makes me go.
 
Hey @Mizz K I came home yesterday. I had a catheter in surgery so it came out the following morning. I also had a spinal so I was numb from the waist down. I felt the urge but couldn't make anything happen. Once the catheter came out, PT came and tied me at the waist and we took a little walk. Got rid of the walker almost immediately. That was good, I hated using that thing! Once I got back to the room, I had to pee. That was beginning of the, like you, every 2 hour thing. Now, that I'm home, I'm still heading to the bathroom every 2 hours. Partly because I have to go and partly because I need to move due to the stiffness. They also had me on Senokot and stool softeners, the gas was horrendous, but I knew something was starting. When I got home I added benefiber and got rid of the Senokot. Bowels moved this morning. Amazing what we get excited about! Rest when you can, it's like having a baby all over again, someone's always bothering you.:heehee:
 
I'm glad you made it to the other side. Best of luck.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@Mizz K I am using crutches. At the hospital they gave me a walker, but say I was very sturdy and had good balance. The bar in front was keeping me from walking normally. So, on day one, they gave me crutches. From what the PT at home said today, I'll be moving to a cane shortly. Right now, the crutches are more for moral support than real support. Except for the stairs. They still make me nervous. I'm living downstairs right now.
 
I live in an apartment on the third floor, so once I'm up I don't have to worry about any stairs, I did stairs this morning and this afternoon with PT, going up is fine, coming down felt a little weird, I will use my walker for awhile in the house until I feel comfortable just using the cane, I'm a klutz and tend to trip over nothing,lol.
 
@Mizz K you are so funny. I go up the stairs without an issue as well. We have one step down into our family room. Going up and down one step is a cinch. But there was something about the 13 stairs that made me freak out! I give you credit, that's a long way to go to the 3rd floor. I hope someone will be with you while you go up those stairs.
 
I have 13 stairs and went up them with my non-surgical leg for a week or so, then I could use the TKR. But going down was harder, I had been going down backwards for about a year because it hurt less. It took some convincing, but the PTs eventually let me go backwards. Said this on another thread, hope it wasn't this one. :umm:
 
Wow you are so like me. I Could not use Walker. I would let it get a head of me and stumble. And cane well lol I haven't a clue. Mom would laugh at me. I fill much more sturdy on crutches.

My prayers are for you. Good luck. Remember if it hurts don't do it. And if your doing it and hurts stop. Try again at another approach. If still hurts do at later time. Don't let no one hurt you. Don't let no one rush you. It's you recovery. And to have a successful recovery you must be gentle.

I tell you I learned hard way on let pep push me. But I said no more. You will not hurt me.

Good luck to you. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom