Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it over the hurdle.

I didn't mention that I now realise I twitch about 1 to 2 times an hour! All night long! Crazy. Only know this because I thought I'd try and write it down last night. I went one time about hour and half, but otherwise at least once per hour and often twice.

Kim

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
He snores though, so we are even :-).

Oh yes, most definitely so. My husband is a snorer, too, and in recent days he's told me of dreams where first he was sitting on a freezing bench and later, his arm froze. I only recently pointed out that my ice pack may go wandering in the middle of the night. I promise I only did that once on purpose, just because, but now there might be a beautiful little bit of incidental/accidental justice going on!

Go show those therapists that you can manage the stairs and REST in your own environs. I agree; home feels better! Here's to settled bodies able to relax and break that pain cycle...
 
Gum168 do hope your twitching ceases soon and you get do much deserved sleep. I'm sure they will get it under control. I, too, had some twitching and strange shooting pains but they wore off when I was more mobile. Glad you have some help and company when you get home. Take care..Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Woo hoo, I can go home. Yippee. I'm excited. Can't get hold of hubby to tell him yet as he's in a meeting, but as soon as he can get here, I can go. I'm so relieved, your own bed is always the best.

Kim

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
Well done... Back in your comfy bed... The healing and recovery starts here.... Go slowly take the time you need ... Take care.. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Kim
pain from those 1st coupla days are the WORST.......everyday that passes will bring some extra relief

well done girl. i had the spinal too and could not go do pee pees so they gave me (a bloke) one of those GIANT tube insert bladder thingies ewwww arghhhhhh....wetting the bed would have been a luxury if given the choice :)

all the best from up north in Scotland
13 weeks post op
John

PS you will be lying on your back for a while so put a pillow under your calves to stop your ankles getting "bed sores"

PPS oops, just noticed that you are a veteran and will probably know the score with the pillow :)
 
I made it home about 5.30pm. It's been such a relief to get back to my own bed. I had a much better night's sleep. I did get woken up a few times by the muscle spasms but they weren't as servere as the previous night. I've been on an antispasmodic tablet (baclofen) since yesterday afternoon. My husband and I were talking about it after it happened a few times when I was falling asleep and we think it mostly happens as I fall asleep and again as I rouse but fall asleep again in the morning. So that bad night may be partly explained by the spasm waking me up, I wait for it to settle, then start to fall asleep and it happens again. And so on. A vicious cycle of a bad night.

Anyway, apart from the first hour and half or so of the night and again just after the radio alarm came on and I must have started to drop off again, I had Reasonable sleep.

Woke up this morning and I'm missing the morphine tablets, took 100mg tramadol an hour ago and I'm still pretty uncomfortable. I expect some pain at this stage, but I'd like it softened a bit more to make moving around to toilet etc in the house a bit less traumatic. The hospital gave me 18 50mg capsules, which won't last long if I need to take 2 per dose to be comfortable. And now it's also the weekend, so I can't call surgery to order more tablets until Monday. I do have some co-codamol left, but my Dr daughter says I shouldn't take both. So what did ask of you take to stay comfortable enough to allow you to move around a little more easily. I'm not expecting a miracle, but personally I think a little more than 3 days of tramadol and plenty of paracetamol would be better. Btw I find paracetamol ineffective for most of the time, from headache to other aches and pains.

I'm happier and much more relaxed, but I would just like to sort out the pain a bit as I keep holding on for the toilet then find I'm practically wetting myself while I take a good painful 5 mins or more to reach the toilet, never mind manage to sit on it (oh how I envy you men with your point and shoot apparatus ;-) ). And then I have to get up and hobble very slowly back to the chair. Is this normal by the 5th day? When I had enough pain relief in hospital it wasn't anything like this bad.

Kim


Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Kim,

I'm sure one of the moderators will respond. My Dr. sent me home with 90 hydrocodone and 45 (12 hour) morphine tablets. He sent me home with enough that I would not hurt for a "long" time. I only really needed them for about a week after I got home. But, I had them if needed. Maybe your surgeon's office can call you in more med if you let them know your pain. Everything I've read on line says that most people use meds several weeks following hospital release.
 
Hi Kim,

I'm sure one of the moderators will respond. My Dr. sent me home with 90 hydrocodone (4 hour) and 45 (12 hour) morphine tablets. He sent me home with enough that I would not hurt for a "long" time. I only really needed them for about a week after I got home. But, I had them if needed. Maybe your surgeon's office can call you in more med if you let them know your pain. Everything I've read on line says that most people use meds several weeks following hospital release.
 
By Thanks newhip47. We have a slightly complicated situation in that it was all done in a Private hospital and the insurance company only pay for medications you take while physically an in patient. I have to pay full price for the anticoagulants and tramadol I have brought home (as opposed to the NHS fixed charge per medicine). The hospital won't issue me with more of anything, I now have to return the NHS for that. That's fine, except it's a weekend. So although I tried, my local surgery isn't open and the partner surgery should have had a surgery this morning, but the answer phone message was on, redirecting me to the NHS 24hrs number, which is basically for out of hours. Hubby has to work and I'm not allowed to drive for now (and I wouldn't want to, feeling this spaced out). I realised I'd made a mistake earlier, if I take 4 full doses a day, I'll run out before the end of tomorrow. Normally you are expected to use the out of hours service but our closest one is 11 miles away. I've had a hip replacement, I can't get there! Forget home visits. Even if they do come out, I still need to get to a pharmacy, nearly a n mile away. So really, the stupid hospital have left me up the Creek without a paddle. Midweek this wouldn't be a problem, but you think they'd think about this when discharging someone after 5.30pm on a Friday.

Luckily my daughter and her fiancé are both doctors (trainee gp's) and they said I can't mix tramadol and co-codamol, which I have, but I can take co-codamol after the tramadol runs out. They both have access to prescription pads, but in the UK aren't allowed to use them for family members (fair enough). Anyway, with their advice I'm less anxious about it now. But in lucky I have them to ask. Most people won't. They both said I look like I'm doing very well, but they can tell when the pain is rising again and kept checking my notebook with my med times (as I'm overlapping, it's easier to write it down than get confused about what I took and when.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just aware that only people in the UK using a private hospital but also NHS would know this can occur. Oh, and in the UK, we don't generally get medication from the surgeon's office, we use the NHS GP for that.

Kim

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Kim.
First...the leg twitching. This is not uncommon and many of us find that magnesium supplements take care of it almost immediately.
Magnesium is a star

Second....you sound woefully undermedicated!! I'm tagging Josephine to comment on this. Hang in...you'll get beyond this. But you shouldn't have to suffer so much pain!

Sharon
 
hi kim
I was away from the computer for a while and the last thing I saw was that things were bad and you couldn't talk about it yet
so i'm sorry you have so much pain, and even tho i'm still before surgery, it sounds like you are undermedicated, according to what everyone here says
too bad the 'establishement' has left you high and dry...I hope it gets worked out soon
but I had much more dramatic versions of what could have gone wrong, so at least you are on the mend
hang in and let us know what's going on
d
 
/sharonslp, thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try the magnesium. Is that something to use long term, or just during the recovery?

dickinson, I forgot I hadn't said what happened.

I'd been up and using the frame to get to the toilet several times, although for the first 24 hours they like you to call them so someone is nearby, just in case. Good job too it turned out.

I was feeling the pain, but I knew I would and the long lasting internal local was just wearing off, also I'd not moved for a couple of hours, so I thought it was OK. However, the pain of trying to walk was much greater than I had expected and half way there everything went very weird. The nurse was talking to me but she sounded like she was in the next room. Then I broke out in a fast sweat, I felt dizzy and sick and my hands had so much pins and needles that I could barely feel the frame. The next bit is a bit hazy, I think I must have fallen back as the nurses arms were round me, holding me up and she was calling for help. Loads of people seemed to arrive and my head was pushed forward over the frame, while someone tried to get a blood pressure cuff on me. Turned out I started to faint but the nurse didnt have room behind us to let me down backwards to lay me on the floor and she was concerned I was less than 24 hours with a new hip. They helped me to stay leant over the frame with head down for a while, then I had to decide, forward to toilet, or back to bed for bedpan. I was just slightly closer to the toilet, so I went that way. Once back in bed I was given a fast acting morphine tablet, and it was decided that I'd stay with bedpans until next morning.

It was very horrible as it happened, It really knocked my confidence and I was very scared of getting out of bed to walk next day. I've never actually fainted and didn't quite this time but I didnt recognise the warning signs. But it was OK and I realised that while static in bed if pain is building, it'll be much worse when walking (if you can call it that ;-) ). In fact the second physio session of the next day introduced crutches, and I managed a few metres up the corridor and back.

I was quite traumatised at the time, so couldn't talk about it. Then hubby and daughter arrived for an evening visit and teenage daughter was basically a right little selfish s@#t. I was clearly upset, but all she could do was be a total teenager and strop about something. You don't need all the details, but basically I wanted her to text me each morning when she was out of bed and then when she left for school. She has a long history of missing the school bus and there's no other bus that way for 2 hours. Village life. It's beautiful, but public transport barely there. All I asked was that she let me know it was OK the next morning. She said NO! She then broke into the pack of chocolate fingers they had brought in to try to get me to eat again. Anyway, we argued about the text, she said no to her dad also and finally I asked her to leave. So they went and I felt really low. A nurse came in and saw the biscuit packet and commented, ooh, good choice. So I thought Ok, maybe I'll have one with my wake up coffee next morning. I was going to offer the nurse one when I noticed how light the packet was. Yes, it was light as air, all air. Not a biscuit in sight! She'd eaten the lot. I was more upset by her nastiness than the fact there were no more biscuits.

So I went to bed that night distressed by various events from the day and mostly about my daughter. She is normally very caring and she's been great today, but boy, don't we know she's 15 these days. Grrr. It'll pass, it'll pass. So a bit of a sh#&@y end to a bit of a sh#&@y day. I'm over it now, it's the past. I just didn't need it at the time.



Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
So I went to bed that night distressed by various events from the day and mostly about my daughter. She is normally very caring and she's been great today, but boy, don't we know she's 15 these days. Grrr. It'll pass, it'll pass. So a bit of a sh#&@y end to a bit of a sh#&@y day. I'm over it now, it's the past. I just didn't need it at the time.



Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Gum168 - oh I feel for you. Having had 3 daughters (all now in their 20's/30's) I know just how nasty and self centred they can be. I am sure she will be a lot better for the next visit and while she probably wont admit it - she will feel bad for the way she acted.
Hope it continues to go well with your recovery - sending positive vibes to you :)
Cheers, Bill
 
Thanks Bill, she is the youngest of our five, so we've been there before, and we even survived the double whammy of twins at one go. I know it passes. I know I'll sit in her bed and cry when she goes to uni, and I know she won't miss us. But I also know that by about 23 or so she'll be back, our lovely caring, happy daughter, just all grown up and mature enough to admit everything we have done is in her best interests. Our older ones are aged 25 to 31. The youngest is our oops baby ;-).

Kim

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
Gum168 glad you are home safe and sound but seems like you've had an eventful time....the spasms wore off for me once I was more mobile and I'm sure they will for you. I was in NHS hospital and they would not allow us to have the morphine after 3 days...had to have paracetamol and codeine only....I found this combination worked well to keep the pain under control and I was able to get it from any chemist as they didn't give me any to come home with. It sounds like the fainting episode may have been due to low blood pressure ( did you have spinal).... It seemed to occur quite a lot in the hospital I was in...they made us drink loads of water to compensate.
Your daughter sounds like a normal teenager...! However, do you maybe think she may have been a little worried about you and at that age they don't know how to deal with it. They are very selfish at that age though. I was in hospital with a pulmonary embolism when my daughter was 17 and she was an absolute nightmare....she came up the hospital once and was so scathing...only interested in herself....I remember being so very hurt by her attitude....but she later confided that she didn't know how to react as she was worried! Who knows. But please don't get upset because you need only to think about your recovery at the moment....another few days and it will become easier...and let your hubby deal with your daughter too. Do hope you get your meds sorted too. Thinking of you..take care ... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Bill, she is the youngest of our five, so we've been there before, and we even survived the double whammy of twins at one go. I know it passes. I know I'll sit in her bed and cry when she goes to uni, and I know she won't miss us. But I also know that by about 23 or so she'll be back, our lovely caring, happy daughter, just all grown up and mature enough to admit everything we have done is in her best interests. Our older ones are aged 25 to 31. The youngest is our oops baby ;-).

Kim

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Gum168 That's great Kim - you do wonder who kidnapped your normal loving child and replaced them with this person don't you :shocked:
Take care and get well
Cheers,
Bill
 
quite an ordeal kim...glad it's over and that there was someone there to help you
lucky you didn't decide to just tough it out and go alone
as for your daughter, I agree with chrissie...she probably was just expressing her own fear
hopefully she'll shape up
good luck with your healing
d
 
Luckily my daughter and her fiancé are both doctors (trainee gp's) and they said I can't mix tramadol and co-codamol
Of course you can! What you shouldn't do is take them in the same mouthful! But you can alternate them, say take Tramadol last thing at night and first thing in the morning, then take co-codamol for the during the day doses. That's called the multimodal approach and is done all the time, specially in pain clinics where they might prescribed 4 different pain meds to be take together in varying dosages!

But do take 2 paracetamol (1,000mg) with the Tramadol (50 or 100mgs). Just note that each co-codamol is actually 500mgs paracetamol with 8mgs of codeine so do be sure you don't take more than 4,000mgs paracetamol in any 24hr period.

Another thing you could do is to ice your hip. Ice is an excellent adjunct to pain relief. But do follow the instructions in the article below.

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Back
Top Bottom