Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR I know this gets better, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've pushed myself ever since I tried the stairs on Weds., so I could get out of here asap. Just got back from home assessment an hour ago. I did stairs, got up and down from the toilet frame thing, got on and off my bed. Folding my legs into the car isn't fun (good thing I'm short or I'd need a bigger car, lol). There's a place that lends medical equipment and my husband is picking up what I need right about now. I'm just waiting for them to do whatever they need to do to release me. I was just told they only do "blahblah" meeting on Tuesdays. I am NOT staying another night just so they can keep their schedule. I would have just stayed home since I was already there but was told it's against medical advice until they have the meeting and agree to sign off on me. Grrrrr.
 
I can't believe they made you come back just to discharge you - another silly rule that tortures the patient and does not help with recovery. YAY, that soon you will be home and in control of your environment.:dancy: :dancy: :flwrysmile:
 
Actually, they waited until after yet another inedible meal for the director of rehab and the director of marketing (what the?) to come in and tell me the discharge process normally takes FIVE DAYS. But they know I'm really motivated to get home so they might be able to get me out of here as soon as Wednesday. Well, you know, we have to have our care meeting and there are things we can do about your lower leg swelling but it's going to take some time to teach you how to do that at home and, really, you've only been up and down stairs a few times and you'll need to do it several times a day and how do we know you're ready for that, and, of course, your insurance dictates your discharge, we don't want to see you go back in the hospital, and we've already requested an extension on your stay and we need to set up your home PT, blahblahblah. If I leave AMA, insurance won't pay for any of my stay here. Also, this place won't write my scripts for pain meds if I leave unapproved.

I told them they have until tomorrow afternoon to do whatever they need to do because I am going home when my husband gets off work. It may actually be sooner because he's already been in contact with the insurance company to tell them what this place is doing. I also said I would talk to my surgeon about pain meds and home PT at my post op appt. on Weds. and the rehab lady said that she would be attending my post appt with me. Uh. No.

Good hell, I can't believe I am STILL HERE. So unbelievably angry they can do this.
 
The PT person has no right to attend the appt with you - it is your appt and if you say you do not want them in the room- they have to leave. You have rights. Ask them for a copy of the patient rights pamphlet or documentation. It should be posted all over the place as it is and you might have a copy.

They are not worried about you - sounds like they are worried about money they will lose since they even asked for an extension. I do not see any concern for you. Rehab pays better than patients who are in nursing homes.

I am glad your husband is checking and you are giving them a deadline.
 
Looking back over my posts here and thinking about it as if I were watching someone else go through this, it just makes me sad. The process of recovery has enough struggles without added questions of whether I am safe, cared for, the desperate need to keep track of time so they don't "forget" to give me my pain medications on time, etc.. It just really didn't need to be like this.

I should be talking about my recovery, about my knees! As I said before, I didn't expect not to be able to move my legs at all. That really scared me. If the zombie apocalypse began, I'd be among the first to be eaten! ;-) So, that inability to care for myself made me deeply regret having both knees done at once. Especially when I saw how much easier it was for the 1-legged folks, having an actual "good leg." Various instructions in how to do things include "lead with the good leg" or "up with the good leg, down with the bad." My choice of good VS bad seemed rather arbitrary but then I had the fear, the feeling like my knee cap would shoot off if a person holding my left leg let go before that foot was firmly on the floor. (It amazed me how many times people let go of the leg in mid-air even as I pleaded "Don't let go, OHMYGAHPLEASEDON'TLETGO!" as they reassured, "I won't let go!" ...and they let go.) Left, left was my "bad leg."

I want to share a couple tips here. While I was still in the hospital and making my first transfers, I was told to keep one hand on the thing (chair, bed, walker) I was moving from and the other hand on the thing I was moving to. This seemed like good, solid advice assuring I was close enough to both to make a safe transfer. However, in the several days after, I kept finding myself having more or less difficulty/pain in moving from one thing to another. And I could not figure out why something I could do on my own with minimal pain at x o'clock but, an hour later, required two attendants to haul me over the transition point between down and up. If I'd had someone there with me who wasn't on mind-altering pain meds, I would have asked them to watch me move and try to see what made the difficult transitions difficult. I did finally realize that keeping one hand on the (lower) commode armrest and the other hand on the (much higher) walker handgrip lead to my need to have two attendants launch me upwards to the point where I could move the lower hand up to the walker. That was not a smooth transition at all. But when I forgot the one hand on each thing, used both hands/arms to raise myself to a stand, quickly found my balance, and put my hands on the walker, everything worked much better and with minimal pain.

I'm hoping the huge long "tip" above makes sense? To simplify, if you find movements or transitions are sometimes more or less painful, inconsistent, try to figure out what you are doing differently.

Another tip: Grabbers and call buttons! If you have bilateral TKRs and find yourself spending a bit of time in a wheelchair after, use your grabber or call for assistance if you drop something. Don't reach forward and out to pick up your dropped keyboard or you could be doing a forward-tipping wheelie, with your call button totally out of reach. ~whistles innocently~

To wrap up this I'm feeling chatty moment, my knees are looking AWESOME! My incisions were glued and then 1" mesh tape glued the length of the incisions and slightly beyond the ends. I don't currently have picture-taking capabilities so will have to wait a little bit more to share. They're feeling pretty good too. I mean, there's pain but it's mostly in bursts as I move around. Still have swelling, though it responds to elevation and massage. I will definitely be icing more once I'm home. Also going to try ace wraps on and off. I have no idea what my ROM numbers are right now and I don't think I care a whole lot. I do my elevating and massaging and, when I sit up, I'm doing heel taps and gentle slides and a couple other gentle things. It will come.

Hey, OT is here to DISCHARGE ME! WOOT!
 
Just reading thru all of your posts - actually brought me to tears several times. Wish I lived up there and could give those "health care professionals" a piece of my mind! I so admire your humor and restraint thru this whole ordeal. So glad you are finally getting to go home, where you can take charge of your own recovery. You are strong and intelligent and you WILL conquer those stairs and your pain. Hang in there - things WILL get better!
 
There is no place like home and soon you will be there. You are awesome. :)
 
I've been home for a couple hours (yay!) and have discovered there's not a single chair in my house that I can comfortably sit in and easily get out of. I thought my desk chair might work but the brake that keeps it at a certain height seems to be broken and it's way too low. I had to drag myself over to the stairway to pull myself up and out with the railing. Hmmmm
 
How about a dining room chair? That was my chair of choice for a long time.

Glad you got out of that awful place. You did exactly the right thing by being really firm with them. They cannot keep you against your will.....you are there voluntarily. And if you make your own arrangements for therapy, meds, etc. in accordance with your surgeon and insurance company....well.....it WAS pretty obvious they thought you were going to be a cash cow for a while and let your insurance company improve their bottom line. FIVE DAYS to check out??? I never!!!!! Total bunk!!!
 
Hi Shannon,
Glad you're home - you will feel so much better.
When I first came out of hospital my husband had put blocks under the legs of an armchair (I think they are called elephants feet, but I might have got that wrong) and also put several pillows on the seat to raise it (and it was more comfortable!) This made it much easier to get out of. Hope this helps. There are always ways around everything, you just have to find them.
 
Good job getting home and finding a way out of your office chair. Must feel good to have control over your meds, ice and food. Enjoy.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Shannon Twinsanity
I also had BTKR way back on Aug 1st. I also used a hard dining room chair. If I was on the couch I could slide onto the hard chair and it was much easier to push myself up. You will be amazed each week as things improve, especially looking back.
Best wishes,
Stacie
 
I've been reading all this time but forgetting to post, lol. The chair situation was solved when my son brought over my son-in-law's recliner that he's let me borrow for as long as I want. I've more recently been able to sit in and get up from nearly any chair in the house.

I've had my ups and downs the past few weeks. I decided not to have home pt (not a popular decision with my surgeon's office at all, so far) and haven't bothered to check into outpatient pt either. After all my reading here, and knowing my own body, I chose a more gentle approach. I cobbled together a program of gentle exercises from here (home physio), a bit from pt at the rehab place, some from the TKR booklet given by my surgeon's office. I'm elevating, icing, massaging my legs and incisions (which look great, by the way).

I don't know (or much care right now) what my numbers are but I can walk around my house without aids, dress myself complete with shoes without aids, ditched the raised toilet frame awhile ago, and can do stairs one foot to a step (with railing support) . Today, my boys dragged my recumbent bike in from the garage and I peddled forward for 5 blissful minutes. No resistance, and rather slowly, but it will come.

I ran out of percocet just over 3 weeks out and didn't bother to ask for more. I have 800 mg Motrin, some tramadol (both of which I've taken for breakthrough pain for years ) and acetaminophen, of course. I still get pain but it's bearable and it's telling me something I need to listen to--slow down.

I'll keep working my way and hopefully, my surgeon will be ok with my progress when I see him on Dec 3. What can he do to me if he's not ok with it, spank me? lol
 
Congrats on the progress you've made since coming home. You on the road to recovery!
 
Wow, it sounds like you are doing great. :dancy: Awesome you for taking control of your recovery and putting together your own gentle exercise plan - sounds like it is working for you. Very happy that you have a recliner as long as you need or want.

Remember to post so we can hear how you are doing. Awesome recovery for bilateral knees. Have a wonderful day. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
I am 12 weeks out today and I meant to finally get back into my thread and post an update. It really was on my list of things to do. I had the thread open even. I'll have to get back to this later though. I lost my husband today. It was very sudden and unexpected and I don't know how I will get through the rest of my recovery...the rest of my life without him. Please show, and tell, your loved ones how much they are loved.
 
I am so sorry about your husband. You have proven you can tackle the impossible. Please know that others care about you. Bless you as you go through your loss.
 
I am so sorry to hear about your husband. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom