THR I have a cold, my mother has her THR today<

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Josephine has put your mind at rest, but just wanted to give you a bit more reassurance regarding my experience. I didn't get up until day 2 either, because I had my surgery in the early afternoon. In my case I think this was just because there were no PT staff on duty by the time I could maybe have got up. I didn't actually get up until lunchtime on day 2.

With regard to lying on the non-operated side, I was taken for an x-Ray, shortly after I got up on day 2 and had to lie on my side for that - I was terrified of dislocation, but it was OK. It sounds like your Mum is in good hands and doing fine. She must be so happy to have such a caring son by her side.
 
Hugs to you to Nevillek. I'm so relieved your mom made it threw just fine. With a couple of my surgery's I didn't get up till day two. It sound's like your mom is being managed for pain and all of her medicine well. She needs plenty of sleep and she will heal and build strength nicely.:chillpill::flwrysmile::happydance:I will keep you and your family in my prayers take care.:angel:
 
Thank you dears. Last night, the nurse checked her op leg and she said it was not fully outside or something and tucked a little towards the pillow and she repositioned it, after which mom fell a little discomfort, so I'm kinda worried for that, but otherwise all is well. Expecting the Physio to come anytime today.
 
Hi friends.. Just updating

So today morning 1130 am the Physio got her out of bed after some exercises (ankle, knee, buttocks) after which she had to sit by the bed's edge and then stood with most weight on good leg, and walked 2-3 steps front and back. She was in pain when moving the operated hip for doing some of this this, and yelled twice or thrice. It seems it's really painful for her to mobilize that portion while getting in and out of bed and I'm getting worried about it. Is this normal?

Also, even when she is sitting by the edge of the bed, I see her slightly tilted towards the good side as if she's uncomfortable to sit evenly/straight.

Doc said they'll keep her for 5-6 days (atleast) because recovery will obv take little longer in her case. I'll ask him about this Physio pain tomorrow.

I'm also not sure how often to do those exercises, I'm thinking ankle pumps thrice or so in an hour? And the others like buttock/knee squeeze and moving op leg left/right a little less often?
 
Good morning nevillek .sorry your moms in pain its to be expected she had a lot of major things done to her bones and tissues and things. I remember every move hurt after surgery but as time goes by the pain slowly gets better. I pray the pain medicine works. Plus she has the support of her loving caring family. Pillows are my best comfort at times.soon enough she'll be up and about. Hope you all have a blessed day and take care.:angel::flwrysmile::wave:
 
Please go back and read the threads that were posted in this thread regarding recovery. Of course there is pain but it is well managed with medication, ice, elevation and most importantly rest. There is no need to do continuous exercises. The hip will heal very well with just walking and gentle stretches if there is stiffness.
 
She was in pain when moving the operated hip for doing some of this this, and yelled twice or thrice. It seems it's really painful for her to mobilize that portion while getting in and out of bed and I'm getting worried about it. Is this normal?
Yes, she's in pain and needs pain meds
Also, even when she is sitting by the edge of the bed, I see her slightly tilted towards the good side as if she's uncomfortable to sit evenly/straight.
she's in pain and needs pain meds
I'm also not sure how often to do those exercises, I'm thinking ankle pumps thrice or so in an hour? And the others like buttock/knee squeeze and moving op leg left/right a little less often?
You don't have to - SHE doesn't have to!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Please go back and read the threads that were posted in this thread regarding recovery. Of course there is pain but it is well managed with medication, ice, elevation and most importantly rest. There is no need to do continuous exercises. The hip will heal very well with just walking and gentle stretches if there is stiffness.

Oh okay ty so much. However, she's only walking twice a day at 12 and 5 during Physio and that too only 3-4 steps. And is in a lot of pain later for sometime, which kills me. Don't want her to get demoralized and stay in bed because she's afraid to move it because of the pain.

P. S. What's elevation?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, she's in pain and needs pain meds
she's in pain and needs pain meds
You don't have to - SHE doesn't have to!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Oh okay.. So should he ask for more pain killers or just bear the pain during getting out of bed (moving her hip to sit stand etc) as it goes away after a while when she's resting again? Because she's already getting the prescribed pain killers I believe. PS. I just spoke to her op anesthetist who came to visit her rn and he said that more pain killers won't reduce the movement pain, that needs to heal on its own.

The exercises are just for DVT prevention then I assume?

How important is food/water? She's too fussy to eat much of the hospital's bland food (or any food in general) and doesn't like drinking much water as she has an acidity/feeling bloated/vomitish from before.

TY SO MUCH Josephine for your guidance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So should he ask for more pain killers or just bear the pain during getting out of bed
She should not need to "bear" any pain. Post operative pain can be managed if her pain management combination is adjusted for her own needs. You need to be firm with staff.
he said that more pain killers won't reduce the movement pain, that needs to heal on its own.
Sorry, I don't agree. I have had both hips replaced. With proper pain management your mother should be able to move with limited discomfort. She needs pain medication to gain mobility.

Why is she only walking 2 times per day. Surely with all your friends and relatives visiting, you and they can take her for short walks. She will gain confidence with practice. Just waiting for physio to move her is not helping her mobility.

Food and water are important but I know hospital food is not always the best. Drinking water will reduce that acid feeling. Discuss her needs with staff there. They deal with fussy eaters all the time.
 
Why is she only walking 2 times per day. Surely with all your friends and relatives visiting, you and they can take her for short walks. She will gain confidence with practice. Just waiting for physio to move her is not helping her mobility.

Oh okay, I'll ask the Physio about that today. The problem is I don't really know how to make her sit and stand/walk properly without the guidance of her Physio. And with the pain she gets when getting in/out of bed, I'm afraid I might do something wrong and if there's no Physio around.
 
As we have already said, there should not be pain on weight bearing. Talk to staff about her pain medication. Then have physio show you (and her) how to get up and moving. New THR patients are mobile. If it's a bit of stiffness this eases with walking.
 
As we have already said, there should not be pain on weight bearing. Talk to staff about her pain medication. Then have physio show you (and her) how to get up and moving. New THR patients are mobile. If it's a bit of stiffness this eases with walking.

Actually, she had no pain in her second Physio session today when getting out of bed (which she had before). Neither was there pain while walking. Maybe it was the pain killer given to her a little before the Physio. They're removing her epidural tomorrow (72 hours) so I'm afraid she might have more pain now.

The doctor advised me to get her out of bed only when the Physio is around. So that's only like twice a day for now, that worries me with regards to mobility. I'll ask them again tomorrow.

For now, she just had dinner at 730 pm with the backrest up and is sleeping now (830 pm). Didn't get out of bed after the second Physio at 4 pm. But I'm making her do the exercises.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought her a new tab (computer) today to play games, I was thinking I'll only let her play for 20-30 mins a day and not like she played for hours at home before. Is there any danger to the hip with the tab close to it? Or danger from holding the tab in the hand full of needles for long..
 
She's very uncomfortable today again..

First in the morning, the Physio came and made her walk the entire corridor..

Later, the doctor came and did the wound dressing, removed the epidural, catheter, etc and also the blood circulation pump bands from her legs..

After that, she's feeling a lot of stiffness/discomfort now.. Not pain but discomfort.. Her anesthetist said he will check and give her some other pain killers..

The doctor said she can sit on the toilet seat now but the Physio hasn't even taught her to sit down on any other chair.. Just standing/walking/sitting on bed.. So now unsure what to do without the catheter..

I'm kind of worried again .. Wondering why they removed the pressure pump bands??? I thought people wear that or the stockings for several days/weeks after surgery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@nevillek - Try not to worry too much about the discomfort. I felt very sore and stiff after they took the drains etc. out. This was the day I had my x-Ray too, and I felt as if I had been pulled in all directions. Medical staff really know what they are doing, but sometimes they prefer quick over gentle! With regard to the pressure pumps, I had them on the first day and then they were taken off. It was then decided to put them on again - but only at night! Some people on the ward with me had them on all the time, some didn't have them at all. The nurses said it was all down to the preference of the surgeon and we all had different surgeons. This is how it seems to be in the UK, anyway...

It is very concerning to watch people you love in such pain and discomfort, but this really is a very successful operation and I'm sure that your Mum will really be pleased she had it done - different people recover at different rates, but I think we all get there in the end.:friends:
 
Thank you so much @BizzyLizzy

She just almost cried to me and said she doesn't feel "okay".. When I ask her what exactly doesn't feel okay, she doesn't know.. She seems very uneasy.. I just asked her to breathe in and out a couple of times

The afternoon Physio just came and she couldn't walk more than a few steps because it was paining her.. I asked them to give more painkillers but the Physio said its better to put ice packs than take more pain killers...
 
Problem is, if it pains when she tries to move the hip even a little, besides the physical and emotional stres, I'm unable to get her bedrest up enough to sit properly and she cannot get out of bed for sitting on the toilet seat either. She'll be in a lot of pain if we try moving the hip.

I asked the sister for more painkillers and she said they'll give it to her 2 hours later (after dinner) but I wanted it right now.

But I'm not sure who's right.. Don't want her to feel worse from excess medication..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom