THR I have a brand spanking new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on your new hip!

I've taken the liberty of resizing your photo as it was a bit large.
I've also nicked it for a jigsaw puzzle - will make a great one, that!
 
@Kitsmom - HOORAY!!! So happy to catch you and your wonderful post. :wow:
And what a great photo. You could say that you have a new outlook in life in more ways than one.
I'm still writing up my L-O-N-G post which I hope to get up very soon. :type::type::type::type:
Here's to continued good stories (I'm sure they all will be) and will be looking out for more news soon dear Hip Buddy. :cheers:
 
Wow! Beautiful view. I had a view of Botany Bay and the distant air port in Mascot, Sydney from my hospital bed but I wished I had been up one floor higher as I could only see part of it between the tall trees in the park opposite the hospital. My orthopaedic surgeon's rooms were on the fifth floor of the hospital and the view from his office was spectacular.

I am glad everything went so well for you and I hope it continues to do so during your recovery. Welcome to the post op. side.

Josephine has the right idea pinching the picture for a jigsaw puzzle. I like to do puzzles on line as well.
 
@Kitsmom You are HERE!!!!! :martini: I am so happy for you. And Thank heavens this group of bone smarties didn't have to hunt down your doctor.:heehee:

Your view is a dream, and so very deserved after such a long wait. Rest, heal, and we can catch up later!:loveshwr:
 
Thank you everyone for all the well wishes!! It's day 3 and i'm out of bed exploring the ward in a wheel chair...fun!
The hospital has a nice art collection, I like this abstract piece:
[Bonesmart.org] I have a brand spanking new hip!

Gray Domino by Peter Aspell, 1980, oil on canvas.


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
They say 3 nights here for a hip replacement. So, possibly tomorrow, but maybe Tuesday since my surgery was later afternoon Friday and I didn't arrive at the ortho ward until about 7:30 pm @Jaycey p.s. - will definitely hold off on the wheelies for now :)


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
Going back, I'm going to try and recount a summary of events on day 1 & 2 to catch you all up.

Day 1 - Surgery scheduled for 2:30-4:15 pm. I checked in at the hospital at 11:30 am, which seemed a little early, but they actually took me in to pre-op right away and started getting me ready, so time passed quickly. Everyone I had was very nice and I was very excited to be there. I wasn't scared at all. My husband got to stay with me in pre-op right up until I was being wheeled away to the OR. My anesthesiologist did a spinal and sedation...I didn't feel anything and drifted off immediately. The next thing I remembered was waking up, still in the operating room. Surgery was done, everything cleaned up and it was just me, the anesthesiologist and one scrub nurse. The scrub nurse was the one who had taken me from pre-op to the OR. I was pretty alert immediately but still frozen from the spinal, no nausea, no pain...this is definitely the way to go! We had to wait about 30 minutes for a space to open up in the recovery area, but I was comfortable and just looked around the room and visited with the nurse and anesthesiologist.


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
Hi once again. I escaped this morning and now home. Have updated my thread and so happy to read your account. Glad things are going well - let us know when you are released and what happens over the course of the next few days Buddy :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kitsmom
Sounds like you are progressing well. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights but could have stayed 3 if I wanted to. You will be home soon enough and on the road to recovery.
Keep up the good work. Have a nice day tomorrow.
 
Cont.,
When we left for the OR, the scrub nurse was going to take my glasses, but I'm pretty blind, so I asked if I could keep them for longer and she let me! I was so glad because I would have felt quite disoriented and anxious heading for the operating room not being able to see anything. When I woke up, she had already put my glasses on for me, which was so considerate! The two most interesting things in the recovery area were the mountain/skyline views and a heroin addict beside me who had had surgery and was going through withdrawal as well as having post surgical pain...he was very loud and moaning in agony for more drugs.

Once up in my room, I was delighted to see the amazing views again, a few floors higher than the recovery floor. My husband, children and my Mom all came up to visit and got me all set up with my things.

Pain medication the first night and next day was 30mg Oxycodone (immediate release) every 3 hours, 20mg Oxyneo (long release) every 8 hours. Tylenol, 975 mg I think every 8 hours, and I had a patient controlled push button machine with morphine, 4mg doses no closer than 8 minutes apart, no more than 60 mg in 4 hours. Oh, and Celebrex as well and aspirin to thin the blood. Yesterday I was given potassium because my bloodwork came back low.


RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
@Kitsmom Glad that you are doing well and giving us detailed info. My cousins have a condo near to the main train station so your view is familiar. We will be there in mid June. See my OS tomorrow for the first time tomorrow so I'm a little anxious. Hope your recovery goes smoothly.
 
@Kitsmom - another great newsy update. :type: Hope the drug addict experience didn't upset you but oh boy did that view make up for it?! :wowspring:And great that you had family support to get you all set up - isn't it so important to have everything just where you want it. :ok: Hope everything feels under control - certainly sounds like it! just waiting to hear from @shirleyH now ..... Best wishes :flwrysmile:
 
@Kitsmom I am blind as a bat without my contacts and I hate my glasses. I know I will feel totally disorientated coming out of surgery without them.

Sounds like you are managing your pain well so far. Keep the updates coming.
 
Congrats!!! Hope you continue to feel good and have a great recovery!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
 
Congrats!! Popped over here to read a few THR entries. One of my daughter in law's father had a THR last Friday; while it went well he's having a bit of a rough spot. Family had asked me of my tkrs experience to pass along some similarities;

Regardless if it's a hip or knee replacement it's a big deal! Don't overdo in your recovery!

Best to you
 
It's Day 4, 9:30pm here and I am staying one more night at the hospital even though I am fully cleared to go home. I've been trying to resolve my only problem...no BM since last Wednesday. They've pretty much thrown their full arsenal at me to no avail. I just had an enema and hope it will work by morning. I'm ready to be home in my own bed and get a quality sleep as I also find myself pretty tired here at the hospital!

Going back to the afternoon of day 2, I saw physio for the first time and they helped me learn how to get in and out of bed properly, walk with my walker and use the raised commode. (I do have restrictions: the 90 percent rule, no crossed legs and no twisting. ) Up until this physio I had used a bedpan in bed. Was very happy to get on my feet and be able to use the washroom in private!

The next morning at 6am, Day 3, the patient controlled morphine drip was removed from my IV. My Oxycodone was also changed to 30mg CR every 8 hours with 10-20mg IR up to every 3 hours as needed. This will be the prescription that I will leave the hospital with and take for 2-3 weeks before starting to wean off it slowly. It seems both flexible and a reasonable amount for post-surgical pain for me (I was taking it prior to surgery for pain, 40mg CR and 45-60mg IR in a 24 hour period.)

The afternoon of day 3 also saw a second meeting with physio to show me how to take stairs with crutches as I will have stairs to contend with at home. The hospital has both Physiotherapists and Occupational Therspists whose main goals are to ensure you will succeed at basic activities like dressing yourself, getting in and out of bed, on and off a toilet, etc., before you leave the hospital. Not so much for strengthening activities and exercises.

I was pretty sore in the evening, through the night and this morning, feeling it in places like my hands (from holding the walker and crutch handles), arm and thigh muscles.

I think my family misses me and wants me home and apparently our kitten Huckle has been meowing incessantly and is missing all the daily cuddles he got from me leading up to surgery. I'm pretty excited to go home in the morning, but first a BM!!!
Here's another hospital window view:

[Bonesmart.org] I have a brand spanking new hip!


That's the hospital's emergency helicopter landing pad in the foreground!




RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016-cancelled :( waiting for a new date
 
Glad your doing well despite the lack of BM! Hope it gets fixed soon!
What a stunning view- have you had any helicopter's land? I imagine it would be noisy- it looks quite close. Would be interesting to watch though, I am a people watcher.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Congrats on what sounds like a very smooth surgery and first-few-days-of-recovery! Hope you get to go home soon.

BTW I love your cat's name -- is it after the Richard Scarry character? My two kitties were skittish of me when I first came home from the hospital (I think the smell threw them off) but are now very affectionate and attentive. They are good company!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom