Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR I have 4 questions, I could sure use your feedback!

Hip Hip Hooray, thank you, and you are welcome for any help I provided. Be well.
 
Remember the red plastic box of used syringes that the West Los Angeles VA Med Center wouldn't take off my hands? They had sent me away with a printout of about 60 places I could drop them off for disposal. Several fire stations in the LA area were on that list, but no facility was within several miles of my house.

I live in Burbank, a city more or less on the northeast edge of LA. I called the BFD. I asked the lady who answered about needle disposal. She said the fire department doesn't do that but she named a local hospital that does. Turns out, that's the same facility that had put my twice-disclocated left hip back together much earlier this year.

Next, I called the hospital. They connected me with someone who said, "Yes, bring 'em. Just drop them off at the front desk." Wonderful!

I drove the one mile to that med center, parked down the street and hoofed it, red box in hand, to the lobby. I headed for the front desk, where two ladies sat. I set the red box on the counter. "Your people told me you dispose of used syringes. They told me to drop 'em off at the front desk."

"You can't leave them here!" one lady said. Uh-oh. I'm not gonna do a run-around.

"Just call the lab, they'll take care of it," I said, then I turned and walked toward the exit. Out the door and through the garden path out front. I expected someone to come after me, maybe a security guy. But nothing. Got to the car and drove home. "YES! I got away with it!" I thought as I drove off.

Today, October 27th, I am eight weeks post-op. In one month, I can dispose of this blankety-blank bulky and awkward hip brace. Can't wait.
 
LET'S GET WET: Update for Wednesday, November 4th, 2015

I am now nine weeks post-op. The last time I saw my orthopedic surgeon, I asked when I could give up taking showers and go back to taking nice, hot, lazy baths in the tub. Yes, I'm one of those odd guys who doesn't like showers. Doc said: "Two weeks."

Two weeks was yesterday. It was time to get into the tub.

But what to do if something goes wrong? I live in an apartment building. It was very late at night. If that hip should come apart, I will need to call 911. I put the crutches in the bathroom along with my cane. I unlocked the front door. If I have to call an ambulance, I don't want the EMTs or fire department guys breaking down the door. I put my iPhone next to the tub. I have no idea what EMT protocol is for naked guys with a dislocated hip. Maybe they just throw you on the gurney and toss a sheet or towel over you. Or maybe they help get you into some clothes; if so, I laid out my underwear, a shirt and shorts on the nearby bed.

I wracked my brain for whatever else preparation I should do. Couldn't think of anything. I approached the tub with some trepidation. I stared down at it. Took a deep breath then exhaled. I remember thinking, I sure hope this comes off. I closed the drain and turned on the water for the first time since August 26th.

I'm gonna describe how to get into, and out of, a conventional bathtub without violating the 90-degree rule (angle of abdomen to thigh).

1. Fill the tub to the preferred depth and temperature.

2. Step into the tub, facing the faucet and knobs.

3. Kneel. It was my left hip that was operated on, so I knelt on the left knee first, keeping an almost straight line from thigh to abdomen.

4. Grab the sides of the tub and lean backwards. Move your upper body toward the rear of the tub, while supporting it with your arms.

5. Get your feet under you and slide them to the front of the tub.

6. Relax. (I hope you brought a bottle of wine and a glass). If you do this as described, your angle should be far less than 90 degrees. Tall people will have a sharper angle than shorter folks. I'm six feet. I estimate my angle was about 50 degrees.

(If bad stuff happens and you need to call 911...don't drop your phone in the water).

7. To get out of the tub, just reverse the procedure. After I got out and dried off, I locked that front door.

And Monday was my first day back at the gym. Doc said no leg work at all until three months post-op, but there's lots of other stuff to do.

Just three more weeks in this blankety-blank bulky hip brace. Then I can wear regular shoes. Tie those shoes. Even clip my own toenails. A nice lady at Stella Making Beauty, in Burbank, gave me a pedicure today...the final one. Nineteen bucks plus tip. All this is coming to an end.

Have a great day. :)
 
@THR-dude Just caught up with your thread, you seem to be doing well. Soon get rid of that brace, it must be hot and uncomfortable! I'll be thinking of you at the end of this month, wearing "normal" clothes on your lower half!
Driving - I have a stick shift, surgeon said "ask your car insurance people", they said "ask your surgeon" so my husband said "prove you can hit the brake and clutch hard enough to do an emergency stop". I did and went on driving!
Now you are doing so well, don't overdo things. If only patience could be given with the pain meds!
Best wishes
Anne
 
Hi Anne,

I think your husband is right, good call on his part.

The brace isn't really hot. It's just really bulky, heavy, awkward to wear and definitely uncomfortable. But I will wear it until Thanksgiving. And doc said no leg work at the gym until it comes off. I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. Hurry T-Day.

Patience? What's that? Unknown concept. I have ADHD -- nothing the guys in the ortho clinic can fix.

--Michael.
 
LOST SCREW UPDATE, Saturday, November 7, 2015

One of the allen bolt screws that allows adjustment of the fit of my hip brace is missing. There's no point to wearing this thing until I can replace the screw.

[Bonesmart.org] I have 4 questions, I could sure use your feedback!

I did some research. Would you believe that in my city of Burbank, CA, there is an industrial supply house that carries every screw, nut and bolt known to mankind? It is Allen Industrial Supply, website is: allen-industrial.com. Their site says that even if you need just one, they will figure out the size and match it. Dang, what could be better than that?

Well, two things could be better. If there was any hope of finding competent help selecting a replacement at Home Depot or Loew's, I would do it. But I don't have the faith that there is an industrial screw expert anywhere in a big box store and I further doubt they would be willing (or able) to do the needed measurements to find a replacement.

The other thing is that it could be Monday instead of Saturday night. Monday I will go to Allen Industrial and replace that screw and pick up a couple spares. If you're wearing a screw-laden brace of any kind, bookmark that website. Those could be the guys who keep it functioning.

Meanwhile, it will be a big relief to sleep a couple nights without it. I just hope nothing bad happens.

Nineteen days until I can throw away the hip brace. Hurry, Thanksgiving!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
LOST SCREW UPDATE, Part 2, Monday, November 9, 2015

I managed to get through the weekend without my hip coming apart. I slept with a pillow between my legs. This morning, I went to Allen Industrial Supply in Burbank, CA, to replace that allen-head screw that vanished from the adjustment mechanism on my hip brace.

His store features row after row of screws, bolts, nuts and more.

We extracted a screw that was a match for the one missing, he made a couple of thread measurements, walked across the room to the steel shelving, pulled out a cardboard bin, then turned to me. "How many do you want?" Dang. He actually has them in stock. I needed one but felt a little silly taking one. "Four," I lied. He put them in a little package. "Two dollars."

Only two? I handed him two singles. Then he helped me put the screws back into my brace. I thanked him very much then let him get back to real customers spending real money.

I do not know if they ship screws across the country, but I can tell you this. Bookmark their website: https://www.allen-industrial.com. If you lose a brace screw, these are the guys to talk to.

And now, if you will excuse me, I need to get back into this brace...until Thanksgiving.
 
NEED A BRACE SCREW? Update for Thursday, November 12, 2015.

Here's a photo of the type of screw that fell out of my hip brace recently. Replacements came from Allen Industrial Supply in Burbank, CA. I have three spares. If this looks like something you need for your brace, hit me up and I'll mail one or two to you. Just cover the postage.


[Bonesmart.org] I have 4 questions, I could sure use your feedback!

​

TWO MORE WEEKS! In 14 days I can get rid of this blankety-blank bulky and awkward hip brace. At this moment, I am 10 weeks post-op. Things are going well. But at the gym I'm finding it necessary to take it easy as I get back into strength training (but no leg stuff until the brace comes off). At my age, things hurt easily and I tend to overdo. Then it's time for a tube of Icy Hot.
 
Update for Thursday, November 26, 2015.

I am 12 weeks post-op as of Friday. At the 12-week mark I can finally ditch the hip brace, put on real shoes and work my legs at the gym. But on Thanksgiving, I needed something to be thankful for. I got rebellious and took off the brace at 11 and 6/7ths weeks.

But truth be told, at the 11-week mark, it became nearly impossible to sleep in the brace any longer. I began taking it off when I went to bed. I didn't put a foam block between my knees. No pillow, either. It felt wonderful. When I got up in the morning, I put the brace back on. No problems. (That nothing bad happened to me doing this does not mean something bad won't happen to you, if you try it).

But on Thursday, I quit using it altogether. It only weighs about five pounds, but it isn't the weight that makes it a hassle. It's the bulk. And the buckle. And the leg straps. But losing the brace was only the first step this day. Step two was shoes. Initially I wore flip-flops for weeks until I nearly tripped and fell down in them. They were replaced by a cheap pair of slip-on shoes. This was the first day to get back into real shoes.

The shoes were still in that plastic bag hospitals stow your personal stuff in. I hadn't opened it at all since I got home from the hospital. It was time. I opened it up, found the shoes, and of course three-month-old dirty socks. Ugh. Straight to the laundry basket with those.

Putting on shoes with laces involves bending over. It's those sharp hip angles that are potentially dangerous to artificial hips. I took the shoes (athletic cross-trainers) out to the living room, along with a pair of tube socks. I unlocked the door in case I had to call the paramedics. I knelt on the floor. The cell phone was within reach. Putting a sock and shoe on the right foot wasn't a problem since the angle at the waist for the left leg was minimal.

But then it was time for the left. Up came the thigh. I pulled on the sock. No problem. Put my foot in the shoe. No problem. Then I bent over to tie it, breathing heavily out of sheer nervousness. I tied it then stood up. Dang. It worked! Walking in real shoes felt so much better than those thin-soled slip-ons.

The next day was my first visit to the gym where I would work my legs. "Look! No brace!" I said to the lady at the reception desk. After I got changed into workout gear, I settled into a leg adduction/abduction machine. This is the device my surgeon warned me away from during the period between the dislocations of that left hip and surgery. I set resistance to a minimal 50 lbs., then spread my legs apart against the force of the weight stack, six sets of six reps. Then I reconfigured the machine so that resistance was applied to closing my legs. No problems.

I worked out on several other leg machines, but kept resistance low simply due to the fact I haven't done any of this in three months and that I'm almost 70. I wanted to give this old body a chance to get acclimated to leg work again before I set resistance to maximum and really crank it on. I may be old but I like staying in shape.

The gym will now (again) be my destination for 45 minutes to an hour a day, five days a week, starting Friday. After I go pick up a large tube of Ben-Gay, that is.

The next challenge: Clipping my own toenails. During 2014 and early 2015, that left hip dislocated several times while clipping my left nails, but I did not realize that's what was happening. Very fortunately, each time that hip popped back into its socket when I was done. In February of this year, I had a major dislocation that required an ambulance ride to the ER. The instant it happened, I realized I had felt that before, when I was nail clipping. At that point, nail clipping was outsourced to a local salon.

That first major dislocation was followed by another, in April. Another ambulance ride, another ER visit....

That nail-clipping adventure is a few days away. I really hope it will be uneventful.

On Thanksgiving, after I put on my shoes, I said a silent "thank you" to everyone on the surgical team. My next post-op orthopedic clinic visit is Thursday, December 3rd. I'm going to take them a gift.
 
I really enjoyed reading your post-op journey. Yes, there are makings of a tv script here and you are living in the right area to pitch it to some producers. Happy healing...I'm glad you have finally got rid of the "third wheel" . It's just you and the hip now
 
Hello Akshia,

LOL! I'm glad you are enjoying my little blog. Actually, I'm a partner in a business that writes books and screenplays. It's been an interesting experience but not enough drama or comedy in this story to make it salable, I think. But maybe I could work up a fake ending where the thing comes apart in heavy traffic, causing a crash, I hobble into the hospital on crutches and shoot the surgeon. That has possibilities. (Hahahaha). Have a great week.
 
Update for Wednesday, December 2, 2015.

It's toenail clipping time. The question for today was: Can I clip the nails on my left foot without my left hip coming apart? (It had done so several times in the past). Since the first major dislocation last February, I've been outsourcing the nail duty to a local salon.

First, a little preparation. I live alone; there is nobody to shout out to for help if I need it. I unlocked the door so EMTs wouldn't need to break it down. I never clip nails in the bathtub but that was the plan this day. I laid a towel in the tub, put my phone within reach, then got in and lay back. I folded my left leg and went at it with the clippers.

Throughout 2014 and early this year, while sitting and clipping, that hip had popped apart when I moved my left knee to the right during the clipping process. At the time, I did not realize this was a dislocation. When I moved the knee back to the left, it popped back together. This time, doing the same maneuver, no problem at all.

After my gym visit this afternoon, I will pick up a big gift basket, and thank-you card, for all the fine folks at the VA's West Los Angeles Medical Center's Orthopedic Clinic. My next post-op appointment is tomorrow. I will deliver it then. And when I hand it over -- it will be full of all kinds of tasty but bad things to eat -- I will advise them not to tell anyone in the Cardiac Clinic about it.

I'll post a photo of the moment in my next entry, provided BoneSmart fixed their apparent photo-upload problem.
 
Update for Thursday, December 3, 2015.

Today was my 13-week post-op check up at the VA's West Los Angeles Medical Center. I lugged this big gift basket from the parking lot, through the main entrance and set it on the table at the security checkpoint.

"Would you like to check this for explosives?" I asked the uniformed lady. She chuckled "Yeah!" and asked where I was taking it. "Orthopedic Clinic." She waved me through. You may not be able to get away with bomb jokes at the airport but evidently you can at a VA Med Center.

[Bonesmart.org] I have 4 questions, I could sure use your feedback!

I got in the lobby elevator and pressed "G" for Ground Floor and the elevator descended 20 feet to the basement. I still can't understand why they call the basement the ground floor. Maybe it used to be the ground floor. Maybe the building sank 20 feet.

Into the Orthopedic Clinic I went, and set it on the check-in counter. "THIS...is for all of you, everyone in this clinic." One of the ladies disappeared down the hall to tell the doctors, nurses and admin people, many of whom came out to see it, but who didn't want their picture taken.

The admin boss, named Evelyn, came up to me and said the thank-you card said it all. The VA's motto is "The Best Care Anywhere" and that's certainly the case in my experience. I joked that they shouldn't tell anyone in the Cardiac Clinic about the basket unless they wanted a lecture about eating stuff that's bad for you....

It was a lot of fun to do. A gift basket is a great way to express appreciation. And I appreciate them to an extreme degree. :-)
 
Update for Monday, December 7th, 2015.

Last Thursday was my 13-week post-op check up. After I dropped off the gift basket, I had a seat in the waiting room. About 15 minutes later, the clerk called my name. I followed her to an exam room. The doctor was seated at his computer. "Come in, come in," he said. He's a young fellow, a resident, probably sent over from UCLA.

I said hi and he said, "It looks like you're doing good. How's the hip?" I told him that the area can still feel tender at times but it seems to be working well. He wanted to see the scar. He closed the privacy curtain and I dropped my shorts. He lifted up the left leg of my briefs.

"It looks great, it's healed well." I asked the question I asked on my last post-op visit: Does the scar look better than average, average or worse than average for this point in recovery? "Average," he said, which was the same answer I got the last time.

The reason I asked about that is the scar-minimizing compound I've been using twice a day for several weeks. It was mentioned in a previous blog entry. I'll keep using it until it runs out but I doubt that I'll buy any more. The doctors don't think that scar looks any better than it normally would. And they should know.

I told him that it was wonderful to be able to put on real shoes, tie them, and be able to clip my own toenails for a change. I described the precautions I took when doing anything with a sharp hip angle; those were mentioned in my last post.

Then I said I was back in the gym five days a week, working my legs again, but increasing the load incrementally.

"Five days a week? That's more than I go," he said.

"You're a doctor, you don't have any time. I'm a nobody, I've got lots of time," I cracked. He laughed.

Then he dispatched me to the Imaging Clinic down the hall for X-rays. Those folks laid me on a table and shot several pictures from various angles, then I went back to the Ortho Clinic. Moments later, the doctor was looking at the X-ray pics on his computer.

[Bonesmart.org] I have 4 questions, I could sure use your feedback!

"Wonderful. Perfect!" he said then turned the monitor to show me. "Would you like to take a picture?"

I happened to have my camera in my pocket. I got down on my knees, turned off the flash, tried hard to remain still and shot two photos. They are included here.

[Bonesmart.org] I have 4 questions, I could sure use your feedback!

He told me to come back in three months. We shook hands and I left the room. I went across the hall to a big room, which is where they stashed the gift basket. I was greeted by one of the assistants, we'd met a few times before.

"Where's your buddy?" he asked, referring to my live-in caretaker, who had departed several weeks earlier.

"She went home," I said. "And I need a cookie, I'm gonna raid the gift basket." I snaked my hand under the clear plastic and snatched a cookie. Ah. Delicious!

I said bye to him and went out to the front desk. We set up the next appointment three months hence. The ladies at reception thanked me again for the gift basket and I thanked them for how well they've all taken care of me. Then I got in the lobby elevator and pressed the *1 button for the first floor and departed the "ground floor" basement for the actual ground floor where earth meets atmosphere.

After a stop at a nearby Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for a hot cafe mocha and a tuna sandwich, I got on the 405 Freeway and headed north for home.
 
@THR-dude , I was reading your Dec 2 post where you mentioned, you've dislocated several times. I know you've wore that awful hip brace. I have 3 dislocations under my belt, 2 were the same morning. I wore the brace for 8 weeks solid. I couldn't take it of at all. Sleeping in it was horrible, and when we had a heat wave, no ice or air conditioning. I don't ever want to do the brace thing again! My story is in my thread.

I would like to hear your experience, and what information you were given, and how long since your last dislocation, how you suspect you did it. Ive been out of the brace Sept.29, and so far good, I don't break any precautions, other than leaning forward a bit while seated. I look forward to your reply, theres so few of us! Info is hard to come by, and it really does shake a person up.
 
Hello 3rd Dislocation,

My left hip was originally replaced in 1994. That artificial hip finally wore out after some 21 years. The dislocations were on the worn-out artificial hip. In 2014, I had several dislocations while (believe it or not) clipping my toenails. Very fortunately, when I moved my leg to the left, the hip popped back together. I did not realize that what I was experiencing were dislocations until February of 2015 when I had a dislocation while in a different position (stretched out while standing, sharp left hip angle) that required an ambulance trip to the ER. The sensation of that dislocation was identical to that of the nail-clipping events, hence I finally realized what had been happening.

Another dislocation happened in April when I was just sitting on a bench, reading. It was probably the angle of the seat that played a major role. To discourage people from sleeping on the bench, the seat was not horizontal, it was angled upward, so the angle of thigh to abdomen was sharper than would be the case with most chairs or benches. The second time also required an ambulance ride and another fun time in the ER.

That second big dislocation resulted in advice from the doctor about placement of my left leg, angles, etc. Keep it left of the body centerline; no sharp abdomen-to-thigh angles. I was very careful about those things from that point on.

I was put in the brace as soon as "refresh" surgery on my hip was done on August 27th, 2015. They told me to wear it all the time, except when I was able to shower. Sleeping in it was a big problem but folks can get used to most anything; eventually it was not a big deal. I was in it for three months, and I never want to be in it again. Really, they didn't tell me anything else, just to keep it on all the time.

That day you experienced two dislocations had to be awful. I hope you don't go through this again.
 
@THR-dude, wow that's incredible that it would also back in. Are you saying it also dislocated after your revision. My surgeon scared me by saying one more time and its surgery again, followed by it will only be 50% success rate. I really feel that life's on hold. I'm going to take it slow this winter and in spring I will start back with the Drs. I'm emotionally drained from the drama and sharing a room for 4 months with strangers. I need a mental rest and it will give muscles a chance to heal. I really hope its not due to bad cup position. There seems to be at least 5 of us on the board with dislocations. I've been searching, of course I follow each one, hoping to learn.

My last 2 I was mid stride and laying flat on exam table after the reduction. I do feel weird movements while lying on my side on the couch and then try to move. I've read your thread and the gift basket was a nice touch!! It sure has been a marathon for you too. I take hope from the things you're able to do now. It had to be most scary for you living alone. My teen son lives with me, so I have some help. Have you taken a bath yet. I crave one badly, I am not a shower person. I look forward to following your journey. Do be gentle with yourself.
 
Yep, I love taking a bath too. Due to leg angles, etc., the doctor said showers only. After 10 weeks, I think it was, he said OK to take baths. No dislocations since revision surgery. I'm sure you are emotionally drained. This stuff is extremely stressful and exhausting. I dealt with it by focusing only on what I was facing any particular day, trying not to think about the weeks and months ahead. One. Step. At. A. Time.

Insofar as the new/revised hip is concerned, it feels solid. I'm back at the gym five days a week, ratcheting up the resistance on the leg machines. I wanna get my muscle tone back, but almost at the age of 70, I wonder why I even bother. It's probably just juvenile-level vanity. There's lots of talk on this board about soft tissue healing and its effect on post-op hip stability; I assume some of that is leg muscle. So I'm working on that. Weight training, stationary bike, ski machine, treadmill, etc. If they had a pool, I'd be doing that, too.

I sure hope your condition improves.... Fingers crossed.
 
@THR-dude, its great reading your in the tub, and have success with the revision. It gives me hope, its so cold up here a hot bath would be awesome! I miss a bath, my last one was 15 months ago. I couldn't get into tub due to pain. You made my night with your ad for your hip brace! I haven't chuckled so hard in a long time. Theres a new French guy, with a new dislocation, maybe respond to his thread. It seems the brace helped you a lot. I hope I have the same good fortune. I get to stare at mine nightly, as its sitting in the wheelchair I don't use. The stuff is just taking up space in my bdrm.
 
Back
Top Bottom