TKR I did it!!

As for the rash, I'm not sure what it is. It is more likely a minor issue, but I always say just to be safe, message your surgeon, add a picture if you can and see what he has to say.

Again, I want to reiterate, ask as many questions as you have, whine if you need to, and share your recovery with us, good days and bad. We are here for members who have questions, one or tons, who need a safe place to whine, or let out frustrations over this process, etc. You are not in any way "bothering" us! You are a very pleasant person going through a tough recovery, and we are here for you!
 
I guess I was just “talking” about it. If I was super worried I would go in. I’ve used the site as a way to I guess get assurance-but i will stick to just if I have serious questions. Just FYI though- I have not called my clinic at all- I was talking about things that were coming up on here.
Sorry. I didn’t realize it was coming off like that & bothering anyone.
I will make sure I’m more selective-on what I post or questions and be careful going forward . Again-I’m sorry-
Talk about anything you want here, this is a safe place, and we care about you. We all understand what you are going through, and we had the same concerns our first time through, as our medical teams seriously do not prepare us anywhere near enough for this recovery.

Even after I joined the Bonesmart staff I had certain questions, and they were warmly welcomed by the other staff members. I had started off with, “I have a silly question...” and the beginning of the answer started off with “there are no silly questions...”

Hang out here with us.

Bonesmart has a wealth of advice, information and support.
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

Best wishes!
 
What they said :goodpost: @Cococay. You aren't bothering anyone and every question you have asked could benefit another member. The whole point of BoneSmart is to be there to support one another through a recovery that VERY few people go into with their eyes wide open. Particularly now that you are on your own, don't hesitate to reach out for support, it's why we're here. :flwrysmile:
 
I also get the nerve pain. It is good to know it is normal. It all of a sudden comes from nowhere. I guess we both just have to hang in there and hopefully it will go away soon. Hang in there. We will get through this.
 
@Cococay I'm so sorry you are being bothered by this rash! It does look uncomfortable. I'm not a nurse but it appears to me that the redness stops above your knee. Was the wrap on your lower leg pulled up over your knee and incision? If yes it's possible you're experiencing some kind of allergic reaction or just irritation from the wrapping material. Unless your surgeon instructed you to keep the wrapping on for a specific reason I'd suggest taking it off completely. IF he did say keep it on then do call his office ASAP to let them know you are having this reaction.

No worries about venting or asking questions (even the small questions -- even the ones that seem silly) -- that's what we're here for :friends:
 
You are doing well for just a few days past a 2 weeks. You should be proud of this. Ask as many questions as you want to. I'm sure there are people that have the same recovery questions that you have .
 
@Cococay....it's logical to ask about any change that appears with a new knee. If the redness remains or gets any worse, I suggest that you send images like you've posted here to your surgeon's office. If it is anything that needs attention, it's better to find that out sooner than later.

And don't give a thought to asking any question you have. As others said, that's what we're here for. Most things that occur following surgery are not serious, but if you're concerned, then you need an answer.
 
Yay...you did it! Just catching up on your thread. It seems you’re doing well and receiving great advice. I hope the comfort and support you’ve so generously shared with others here is coming back to you through the encouragement you’re receiving as you begin your healing journey. As you’ve already heard multiple times, stick with us, we’re here for you for as long as you need us.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful week! :)
@Cococay
 
Hi @Cococay :wave:Saw you post in another thread and was wondering how you are feeling? Hope being on you own is going well, stop by and update us when you get a chance! Wishing you a good day.
 
@Cococay I am sorry if anyone made you feel like your questions were bothersome. You can feel safe here and ask or say whatever is on your mind. We are here to help each other get through this hideous experience. Although it seems to be a "breeze" for some, that is definitely not the norm. There is nothing to be sorry for! I hope you are doing well.
 
Happy Thursday!
Hopefully today finds you feeling a bit stronger than you felt last week. The early days of pain, fatigue, mood swings eventually give way to brighter days and you’re on your way. With each passing week I hope you feel steadier on your feet and begin to see the benefits and blessings of joint replacement surgery. Please let us know how you’re doing. You have a large cheering section rooting for you.
Sending love, a hug and wishing you comfort. :loveshwr:
@Cococay
 
Hi @Cococay

How are you doing? Just wondered if they did a Lymphodema wrap for your leg? I’m hoping the swelling and rash have now subsided and your pain is under control.
 
I see the therapist certified in lymphadema on Monday. It’s still so swollen that it makes it so I can’t get range of motion. So after the comments I got after asking about the rash-one said could it be the toobie/ tubey wrap they put on for swelling- so I moved it to below my knee and the rash is better at least above the knee. But at least I’m not worried about it anymore.
I have been working from home this week and it wears me out so much. Plus I’m not elevating during that time.
My big issue seems to be my back hurts so much when I try walking standing straight. Not sure how to correct that....
the pain though- I mean today I have pain but even so it’s only like 3- so I feel very lucky! Thank you all!!
 
My big issue seems to be my back hurts so much when I try walking standing straight. Not sure how to correct that....
I had trouble with this too, it got better with time and as I healed. Try not to worry about it, it’s very early days.

When you are not working spend as much time as you can with your leg elevated. If you can’t manage “toes above the nose,” at least get your leg up on an ottoman. Having your foot down is going either create or maintain the swelling, plus it’s painful.
 
Wow, even working from home so early is bound to wear you out @Cococay. I used a large ace bandage to keep ice in place when I went back to work. I had a desk job but still needed to get up and walk to the printer etc., and that allowed me to keep icing even while working. Sounds like things are slowly improving and that's great! :egypdance:
 
Is there any way you could use some kind of lap desk for your laptop if you have to work? I have one that goes over my lap and the legs sit on either side, so I can use it to the side when I'm icing and elevating, and over my lap when not. It doesn't sit on my lap, it's more like a bed tray. It tilts and the height is adjustable, and it's large enough for my large laptop and mousepad. I use it on my bed as my recliner and sofa are not comfortable enough for my leg yet, and I can do whatever I like on it, either to the side or sitting up with it over my lap.

I think many of us get different aches and pains when recovering from this surgery-I think some of them are from walking in wonky ways, using walkers and canes, and so on. Your back pain will most likely fade away over time.

You're coming along and on the right path! Keep it up!
 
@Cococay I was finding that my back and hip were hurting. I starting making a more conscious effort to correct my gait and stand straight when I walk. It has helped. I did find a PT to work with, just on gait, for a couple of sessions. It feels a bit odd, as I think about each step I make. The hard part is trying not to look at my feet when I walk. You can also look online for videos if you do not want to go see a PT. Also, it might be your shoes. I can not wear any of my shoes, (sneakers), from before the surgery. This is because the old shoes have wear patterns from your "old" foot/leg. I bought new sneakers before the surgery. I tried to wear a pair of old ones and my foot really hurt.
Wishing you a good recovery.
 
I can’t imagine being back at work so soon! My TKR was January 6 and there is no way I could handle working along with everything else involved with this recovery process. The laptop desk sounds like a possible temporary solution, at least you could keep your feet up in a recliner. Hoping you find some answers and relief for you back pain.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom