Guest viewing is limited

I can't take this knee pain anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well countdown to my replacement-8 days!Im having alot of emotions;fear,excitement...
This is absolutely normal---jitters, nerves, excitement, some fear, some trepidation---thoughts---thoughts---just keep yourself busy and focus on the positive!

You have chosen a great OS and you know that you will feel 100% better when you are fully recovered---and
SCOPE IN June, 2 cortisone injections, off loading knee brace. Nothing helped.
no more of this! no more shots that do not work---no strapping on braces, no more pills or limiting your activities due to pain!
 
@cinrey, I know that bone-on-bone pain all too well! You won't believe how much better you will feel. After years of limping around, having Synvisc injections, arthroscopic procedures, etc. I decided to find a surgeon who would do the surgery at my age (I was 57….by former OS said I had to wait until I was 65). Best decision I have ever made! Good luck to you!
 
Today is my pre-op appt-getting close to the big day.This a.m. ,with every step I have a knife-like pain running thru the knee joint,I cant wait for some relief,im pretty miserable.Took a vicodin,not even helping,will use my polar-ice unit in a few:boohoo:
 
Yes!Went to the pre-op appt with my ortho-he suggests a partial knee replacement-thats the good news,the bad news is my other knee looks far worse on x-rays (no pain tho).I told him "i guess we are going to be long-term friends then !"
 
Will your OS do bilateral? I had a RTHR in May and my OS agreed to (actually suggested) bilateral for my knees. Best decision I ever made! One surgery, one recovery, and my life will improve a lot sooner than doing them separately. My bone on bone pain is gone, and although recovery is difficult, I can see and feel improvements that confirm that this was the right thing to do. Bonesmart is a great place for information and support- let us know if you need anything!
 
Hopefully you'll feel as though I did - that the pain felt the day before your surgery far surpasses any you feel while recuperating. (That nasty pulled muscle I had from butt to ankle when I woke up from knee#2 was pretty awful, but still not as bad as the horrible bone on bone feeling.)
Remember to take your cell phone and set the alarm for every 4 hours even in the hospital. They tend not to bring you meds exactly on schedule unless you ask for it and it's important that you take them the moment they are due to avoid any break-thru pain.
When you get home, it's important to remember that your knee needs to heal and not be whipped back into shape. Gentle stretching, leg lifts and ankle pumps should be all that you need PT-wise in the first few weeks.
Best of luck to you, you're almost there!
 
I found out that my ortho wants to do a spinal block for the PKR as opposed to general-this is freaking me out!I dont want to know whats going on during the surgery,plus not having my legs move x2 hours!Im having major anxiety over this!!!
 
I had spinal and "happy juice"---When I was in the pre-op area, the anesthesiologist came in and got me set up for the spinal. He said, "You are going to feel a little drowsy..." The next thing I know, I was being wheeled to recovery. I cannot remember a thing about being wheeled into the surgery or the BTKR surgery itself.

I did not have any issues. I came to very quickly, no nausea, and I was not worried about moving either of my legs right away.

I would talk to the OS and the anesthesiologist and tell them of your concerns---let them know how you feel.
 
Okay,thanks for the positive words
 
Seriously, if you are concerned, talk to your OS and let him know how you fell. I also did not want to know anything at all about what was going on---"knock me out, do your surgery, and then wake me up and send me on my way..." were my thoughts.

The spinal was great and the "happy juice" that I received was phenomenal. It was the easiest way for me to come out of the anesthesia.

Just let them know how you feel, and they will take care of it for you!
 
I had an epidural with the "happy juice" and don't remember a thing! With my first TKR, I remember being told that they were going to out a tourniquet on....then I woke up in recovery. For my second, I remember watching everyone prepping before the surgery. Nobody said anything to me...then recovery. No nausea like I had gotten from previous general anesthesia's! I felt fine! Like you, I was a little leery of not being "out" for the surgery, but I would do it that way again if given the choice.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I told them to be sure to knock me completely out, otherwise I'd be critiquing everything they did during surgery! I actually remember being in the pre-op area and being told I was being given something to relax me. Next thing I know I'm wide awake in my room. None of that grogginess and weird feeling from general anesthesia - it was great!
 
Okay-cool-bring on the "happy juice"!
 
I had spinal and happy juice and it was fine. I have sleep apnea so I was concerned with that. I had no problems and no nausea. Just had to wait for my legs to wake up afterwards. I had very little pain throughout my recovery. Went on a Viking Cruise for my 40th anniversary end of October and had no problems with my replaced knee. Had my right knee replaced in mid June, 2014. Ended up with a bone spur on left foot aggravated by walking on cobblestones all over Hungary, Austria, Germany and Czech Rep. Got to get that well before having my left knee replaced first of next year. It's bone on bone now just like the right one was. I didn't want to do them both at the same time. Too chicken. If the left is as trouble free as the right was, I'll be a happy camper.
 
Wow-I guess its very common to have oa in both knees
 
Question-do they have to put a urinary catheter in when doing a spinal?
 
Some surgeons use a catheter and some don't. It's best to ask your OS.

I didn't want one but in the end it didn't bother me at all.
 
I had a catheter, and it was heaven for a few days! I did not have to worry about getting up or calling a nurse for a bedpan.

I was uneasy about it going into the surgery, but once I was out, the pain meds and the ease of recovery for me at that period of time made it a no-brainer.

As Celle has written, it is part of the protocol for some OS's---others do not use it---again, contact him and find out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom