Bilateral TKR I am on the "other side"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all! I feel better knowing where to research and read about other people in the same boat! I have another wired one for the group! I noticed my toe nails were outlined in orange , figured it was the cleaning stuff, but I just noticed its way worse! Both feet bottoms and all toes look bright carrot orange! Not pretty for sure!
 
Hi @Lu.winslow that's the Iodine they use on your leg before they cut you open. It prevents infection I believe or at least reduces it x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Lu.winslow that is the stuff they dissenfect you with! It will stay with you for awhile. Takes awhile to wash off. Don't think it is worse , you are just noticing it more. Probably just because of the color changes of your leg and feet because of bruising , swelling etc. makes it seem worse.
 
Day 8 for my Bialateral TKR ,3 days into rehab and what a difference a day makes! I have stopped heavy drugs, just norco's before PT, I find that I got so scared they were gonna hurt me that I could not relax! I can honestly say it's more discomfort than pain. My only concerns are my jerking in my sleep! First it was one knee then shoulder, then it progressed to a whole side. Today it started both sides at once! Felt like a hard right kick followed by a hated left kick. I have bit my tounge 2xs now. I feel I am progressing with the pt, so I Trying to gain more upper body strength. Still using the bed pan, I got out of bed 2x for the bedside commode, I have noticed my muscles are bunching up, hope all you sparklers out there are doing good!
 
@Lu.winslow My husband's jerks quit after he had been off the narcotics for a little while. He was always so afraid he was going to kick me at night. It doesn't take long for the leg muscles to weaken, but you will slowly get it back. You might see if they think flexeril would help the muscles. Slow and easy. Take care of yourself.
 
Thank you, it is such a strange feeling! I am currently taking 3 bacla something (muscle relaxers) and that is probley what is doing it, I can honestly say I am not sorry I did both at once! But this only day 8, good luck with your husbands recovery!
 
@Lu.winslow flexeril is a muscle relaxer too. He had to have it a few times. Not many. You are brave, no way could my husband have done that. He is having a great recovery with his first and we hope his second is the same way. Be kind to your knees!
 
@Lu.winslow You are brave! No way I could handle two knee surgeries...I almost didn't survive one. Really glad you're pain is manageable. Stick with those OT people...they can show you a lot of good tricks for how to manage things like the toilet and the shower, etc. I was in a rehab and loved my O.T.
 
I am blessed to be here in rehab, I know I could not of done this with out my husband! And of course all I learned from this forum. I rest I ice I use my cpm machine do pt! It starts at 6am and it ends at 10pm.
 
Day 10 Bilateral TKR , had a meeting with my rehab dr's, said progress is great! But they want me to stay thru the first! That's almost 2 weeks counting hospital! I still feel really weak! I now walk 20 feet back and forth to the bathroom, and of course I have a baby bladder, so that's at least 12 round trips ! Yesterday was the first day and I was wiped out! 2 hours pt, 2 hrs cpm machine by 5 pm I was so sleepy I had to give up!
 
Ah yes. The fatigue for me was the worse part. I never knew what exhaustion was until I had this surgery. It took me about four months to feel like I had energy. And you had bilateral. Rest as much as they let you. I give you a lot of credit for having Btkr and look forward to your posts!
 
'@lu.winslow wow you are doing well. I am 10 days post op. I to have been very weary and I was completely unprepared for it. so doing my exercises resting icing and everyday tell myself another day nearer recovery. my hubby has been brilliant helps me when I need it but lets me be independent when I can. I am still struggling with my quad not working which I feel is slowing my recovery down but on the plus side my pain is not to bad. good luck
 
@Lu.winslow glad things are going well. I was told I'll be in the hospital for 9 days for my BTKR. There is a 5 day waiting period after the first TKR and then I'll have the second. I think I'll be glad for the extra time and hope after my first, with 5 days rest, things will be a little easier. But it would be nice to have it over with it with one surgery. Good you're getting to the b-room and doing some walking. You'll be home soon. Take care.
 
Wow, waiting 5 days, it's probley not such a stress on the body, best of luck to you! Are you going to rehab? That is really helping me
 
No rehab if things go okay. Going under twice will be doubly nauseating! I'll be happy to be at home after 9 days. I'll try the things BS recommends and the new exercises I've read about.
 
Best of luck to you, don't overdo! Looking forward to your updates!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I am on the "other side"
@Lu.winslow, we are requesting that you put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR). You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. This information is very helpful and necessary when answering your questions and concerns.

Please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2014 or 10 Jan. 2014 rather than 1/10/14 or 10/1/14.

Thanks so much for your cooperation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom