Guest viewing is limited

THR I am now bionic

Elf1 and Layla that’s why I love this site so much and have recommended it to so many others I have encountered going thru this. Once you hear others have had the same experience in either types of pain , location, intensity ,etc. you loose some of that anxiety that creeps in. it’s so easy to think you have twisted wrong or taken a bad step and changed or disrupted the healing process.

‘Now the PT technician is due at 12:30 to go thru the recommended early mobility exercises, which I generally agree with since they are mostly isometrics (thigh and butt squeezes) and walking which I actually love to do and probably have to watch I don’t do too much of. Mostly I know that unlike the more Pt active approach I took with my knees, I mostly let time take care of healing my hip. I do believe that PT was crucial in my knee recovery that got me to over 140 degrees of bend in both knees,as well as straightness, but the hip just seems to take care of itself.

I know that everyone heals at different rates, and take different paths to get there, so it’s fascinating to me to read the different recovery threads here to see how many different approaches there are.

Today is the day I dump the Oxy and use gabapentin and tylenol for pain control which fortunately is very mild in my case. Unfortunately due to my severe case of restless leg syndrome , I do not get completely opiate free. Having gone thru all the dopamine directed drugs ,Mirapex and Requip which augmented on me ,I ended up on a nightly regimen of methadone before bed.
Since this controls my symptoms , until research finds a cure or non opiate alternative , I will have to live with it, but with a lot more mobility.
 
Thanks for recommending BoneSmart to others. We appreciate it!

As far as a non opiate alternative for RLS, if you haven’t already, look into Magnesium.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I've also heard drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine can help. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Have a great Monday! :)
 
Believe me Layla I have tried everything. Magnesium, quinine, iron and even had an idiot neurologist put me on clonazopam which only hooked me on the benzodiazepine that’s took me 3 months to get off. I have been in contact with one of the foremost doctors on RLS from the west coast and he was the one referred me to methadone. He has many patients that have been on the methadone regiment for years with no necessity to increase dose and no augmentation. I know for me it has been a godsend. I would not recommend this to anyone that has not tried all the other rls specific medications, but as a last resort , it has given me back my sleep and energy.
 
Ok had to take a minute to update because my PT therapist just left and after I told her of the Burning pain I get when I straighten my leg she gave me the whole answer. So here it is.
During anterior incision the surgeon gets very close to a pack of nerves called the Meralgia Parasthetica or Lateral Femoral Cutaneous nerve bundle. Lot of words , but she said this is the reason for the searing/burning sensation. She had me do a couple of exercises that were designed to help stretch it out and indicated it was completely normal for this to happen during the operation. She told me as swelling resided and incision healed it would eventually go away.
Hope anyone that comes Accross my thread and maybe has someone else ask the question about the burning sensation will now have a good response.
 
Some of our members who have anterior complain of this burning sensation. Others report a numbness that can last for months. Yes, all nerve related. Unfortunately nerves can take quite awhile to settle/heal. Icing the area will help reduce the swelling.
 
Day 5 and getting here was a battle with my RLS acting up overnight ,not letting me relax to get to sleep. Finally grabbed a few hours toward morning and another hour on couch. As mentioned I quit the Oxy yesterday morning and am just continuing on with Gabapentin, tylenol and celecoxib which I think is for inflammation. Pain continues to be manageable hovering between 1 and 3,so really can’t complain there. I have been fortunate in that both hip replacements did not bring a serious amount of pain with them.
The one annoying sensation is feeling like someone is poking me in butt when I walk and this causes pain in back of my hip just above butt. Perfectly normal I am sure ,but it continues to irritate me while sitting so I am up and down frequently. If this is my worse case scenario going forward, I guess I should call myself lucky , but as I am sure my fellow bonesmarties would agree, the lack of being able to perform our normal daily functions just causes us to focus in more on the aches and pains that come with healing process.
Checking Amazon to see when my new time machine arrives ,so I can jump ahead a month or so in the healing process lol.
 
Nearly one week now and burning sensation has decreased , but feel overall tightness sensation when I first stand after sitting. Goes away quickly as I stretch and walk. Sleeping longer at a crack but still urinating at least every 2 hrs. Thru night. Wonder why this is since before either of my joint replacement surgeries I would maybe urinate once during night or sometimes not even that till morning. Able to lift leg easier to get on couch or to clear lip to get in car seat. Pointing out these minor changes so anyonythat follows can compare their own progress if it helps. Aqua cell bandage comes off tomorrow to see how the glue has held up in wound closure for first week.
 
Hi @Softtail
Great news the burning is easing. :yes!:

I think the increase in the frequency of urination may be due to the meds you’re on. A quick search and it looks as though the Oxy, Gabapentin and Celecoxib can all cause increased urination. I realize you stopped the Oxy, but it‘s probably still in your system. I’m sure as you wean off the other meds you’ll find the trips to the bathroom decreasing. Check out the info that came with your meds, or check online when you have time. I’m sure you’ll find the same info.
Yay for bandage off tomorrow. :happydance: One more sign you’re on your way!
Have a peaceful evening.
 
Thanks Layla. You are probably right about urination , since after a period of time following last 3 joint replacements urination returned to normal. One pain in the butt now is just that pain in butt lol. Right across hips Accross back I have minor pain which oddly is more pronounced if I am standing slightly stooped over. When I stand straight up it lessens considerably and is mild when walking as long as I don’t bend over. It’s the little things that keep us guessing.
 
I had a pain in the rear, but not sure if it’s the same as you describe. I described mine as it felt like I was sitting on a ball, the size of a golf ball, but only as hard as a tennis ball...if that makes sense. If I recall, I only felt it while I was sitting.

Yours sounds more like a “pulling” sensation...is that accurate? It’s hard to guess especially because you’re not quite one week post op and there are so many odd pains and sensations early on, most fleeting or quickly replaced by another. It doesn’t sound alarming to me, especially because you describe it as mild, minor with varying intensity based upon movement. Ice that area if your not already and see if it helps.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@Softtail
 
8 days and hip is coming along nicely. Able to lift leg fairly comfortably, Mostly feel tightness in front of quad while standing and loosens when I walk. Able to walk pretty comfortably without cane now, but take it with me when I walk. The tightness does feel a bit like sitting on a ball when I have it in butt. All in all I am way ahead of the game as my home nurse told me so she signed off on home care which leaves me with only the PT therapist to see on Monday. As far as recoveries I am sure mine looks to be abnormally quick, but it is possible. I still have some black and blue and some minor swelling that I do ice occasionally, but I can now put full weight on my new hip without discomfort. I am off Gabapentin as of today but will still take Tylenol for a couple of more just to make sure any residual pain is under control.
 
It does seem you’re doing really well for only 9 days post op...today. Good for you! :yes!:
I hope you have a productive appointment with the physical therapist tomorrow.
A peaceful Sunday to you!
@Softtail
 
Hope you’re doing well @Softtail. I am a couple days “behind” you and have felt better seeing that you have experienced similar things to me and that they have resolved along the way. I have had some burning in the front of my thigh and today the pain in my butt is...well..a pain in the butt! Thanks for sharing what you have learned. I’m on gabapentin, ibuprofen and Tylenol. I didn’t need the oxy for very long thankfully. I just don’t like how it makes me feel. Was the aqua cell dressing removal at your surgeon’s direction? I don’t have a follow up until Oct 20 and that seems a long time to leave the dressing on. I may have to call his office for clarification.
 
You are having a spectacular recovery. Have a wonderful day.
 
Ozinthedesert. A great place to pick up information on our recoveries here. The burning sensation is due to a set of nerves that I mentioned in earlier post, perfectly normal and usually resolves with time. Mine is considerably less than when I first experienced it. Still pops up when I twist or extend just so , but much better. Pain in the butt as you say is pain in butt. Have it now as I sit but just a nagging pain that comes with the healing curve. Aqua cell bandage seems to be able to stay on for as long as surgeon wants it to. With this one and left hip the in house nurse took it off after a week, and there is a thin gauge like strip that was under mine that nurse said will wear off or doctor may remove when I see him at the 2 week 3 day mark. With my knee replacements ,he (same surgeon) left it on for 2weeks. Be prepared if it’s sticking good, taking it off pulls worse than the operation lol, sorry especially in the sensitive area of groin.
Sounds like you are coming along good also. I have stopped everything but baby aspirin and celecoxib. Hope my recovery progresses as well as left hip ,cause if so I can tee it up between the 4th and 5th week. I know many here have much longer healing times, so everyone should just listen to their bodies, follow doctors orders (which I did before playing) , and get ready for a whole new pain free hip once healed.
Again I am attempting to post fairly often in hopes that a day by day account can help answer another’s question, or give a map of a fairly quick recovery.

Leejaa yes I am and just hope recovery continues as such.
 
Be prepared if it’s sticking good, taking it off pulls worse than the operation lol, sorry especially in the sensitive area of groin.

Slowly rolling it off is less painful. Don’t recall if it was my experience, or I read it, but it even sounds less painful. Thanks for your updates here, you’re right...someone may benefit from your words or learn through your experience, now or in the future. Thanks for leaving your mark here.
Sounds like I’m talking about a household pet, lol. You know what I mean :wink:
 
Ok Day 10 PT just left and pretty much told me to continue with light exercises ,ie slides , leg lift side lifts, and a few others as long as none of them were painful. Decided to see him one mor time next Tuesday after I see Surgeon next Monday. Looks like everything is proceeding normally so no surprises here. Very fortunate so far and hope it continues. Just continue walking is best recovery as mentioned here frequently.
 
@Softtail good to see you're doing so well. Happy the PT session went well and seems to be on the right track. It's great that you keep popping in with updates, it will really help others trying to make that decision to have the surgery and the ones that are wondering if what they're experiencing is normal. Folks like you are what helped me through the process when I was going through. Really appreciate that you're sharing your journey!
 
Ok everyone day 11 and pain is pretty much a non issue ,with it ranging from mostly .5 to a max of 2. My biggest “pain” so to speak is once I have been sitting for awhile , it takes me a minute to get fully erect when I stand up. Trying to describe the sensation it’s like my new hip leg is tight and needs to be stretched in groin and incision area for short time standing still till I can get fully erect. There is a slight pulling on front of quad by incision and minor pullin side of leg. Once stretched ,about 10 to 15 seconds can stand fully erect and walk pretty normally ,which I think is good for day 11. I have pain above right hip on my back after I walk for awhile which I believe is probably normal this early in recovery from trauma to soft tissues from surgery. Having looked back at my recovery from my left hip replacement, I am definitely able to put more weight on this leg than I could at same time period on left leg. I am trying to be fairly specific in my descriptions in hopes that someone that has had similar healing pains might chime in and verify these symptoms. That way going forward this day to day account can be viewed by others as a template for possible variations in the healing process.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom