Guest viewing is limited

THR I am now a hippie too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't tried sleeping on my non- operated side yet. The doctor info states I can with two pillows between my legs. Any other tips?
 
I think you'll know if/when you're ready for it, @kmgraxy . I was told I could sleep on my non-op side with pillows when I was discharged from hospital, but when I tried it, it felt very precarious at first. But at about 2.5-3 weeks, suddenly it felt OK, and now it's a real relief to be able to get a change of position during the night. :)
 
I think you'll know if/when you're ready for it, @kmgraxy . I was told I could sleep on my non-op side with pillows when I was discharged from hospital, but when I tried it, it felt very precarious at first. But at about 2.5-3 weeks, suddenly it felt OK, and now it's a real relief to be able to get a change of position during the night. :)
Thank you. I tried it last night and found that I really couldn't get settled and comfortable. I'm sure it will come in time.
 
It has been eleven days (May 29th) since my LTHR. I feel like things are going well. I will see my surgeon on Thursday for a follow up.

Perhaps I should go to the knee replacement forum for this question. I had LTKR three years ago. I had a manipulation five weeks later and have struggled with range of motion over the winter. While "under" for the THR, the surgeon did another manipulation on my knee. He said he got it to 110 degrees but I am still in the 85 degree range now. I am going to PT more for the knee than the hip. I am discouraged.

Anyone had a similar circumstance - rehabbing a knee and hip? @Josephine - any advice for me?
 
Okay - more questions!

I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now?

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
@Josephine A little history: Motor vehicle accident 25 years ago. Bi-lateral femur fractures (Traction then rods for one year. Rods removed after one year); left tibea plateau fracture; compound fracture/dislocation left foot and ankle resulting in ankle fusion in 1996 and triple arthrodesis in 2002. LTKR 2011.

1. what are your pain levels right now? Hip is a 3 at it's worse if I awaken at night or in the morning. During the day a 1 or 2 when getting up or down, otherwise no pain. Knee is a 3 at its worst. When not weight bearing it does not hurt. Hurts when standing from sitting or doing exercises.

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often? Hydrocodone 325 mg. I take one at night and sometimes one in the morning if going to PT. Otherwise am taking extra strength Tylenol.

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long? A lot! Pretty much always have my legs up icing both hip and knee.

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long? Spend most time elevating and icing.

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., Not doing a whole lot. Get up about once an hour and walk a little for a few minutes, get a snack, use restroom, etc.

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that). The standard exercises for hips/ knees. Quad sets, short and long arc raises, heel slides, abductor slides. 20 twice a day. Formal PT twice a week. Do knee extensions ( keeping knee straight) and has me bending knee while sitting in chair and heel slides with him pushing some. Pain with those is moderate and in the bottom of knee cap.

THR has been much easier than TKR as far as both pain and mobility goes. Most of my concern is about the range of motion in my knee.
 
THR has been much easier than TKR as far as both pain and mobility goes. Most of my concern is about the range of motion in my knee.
Oh they are, they are! Totally different. And for sure teh hip influences the knee.
Hip is a 3 at it's worse if I awaken at night or in the morning. During the day a 1 or 2 when getting up or down, otherwise no pain. Knee is a 3 at its worst. When not weight bearing it does not hurt. Hurts when standing from sitting or doing exercises.
Interesting. I may have another question later!
Hydrocodone 325 mg. I take one at night and sometimes one in the morning if going to PT. Otherwise am taking extra strength Tylenol.
And how many ES Tylenol. I hope it's 2 rather than 1 because 1 is not an effective dose.
how often are you icing your hip and for how long? A lot! Pretty much always have my legs up icing both hip and knee.
good!
Not doing a whole lot. Get up about once an hour and walk a little for a few minutes, get a snack, use restroom, etc.
Okay ...
The standard exercises for hips/ knees. Quad sets, short and long arc raises, heel slides, abductor slides. 20 twice a day. Formal PT twice a week. Do knee extensions ( keeping knee straight) and has me bending knee while sitting in chair and heel slides with him pushing some. Pain with those is moderate and in the bottom of knee cap.
I actually need more detail about your exercises please, this tells me nothing much. Except, why is the PT pushing on your knee? :skep:
 
@Josephine
Quad sets: push knee down towards bed x20
Short arc: while knee over roll, raise bottom half of leg x 20
Long arc: While sitting on edge of bed raise foot toes pointed up x 2
Heel slides: slide foot up while bending knee x 20
Abductors: slide leg out to side x20
Extensions: sit with leg extended and roll under ankle to improve knee extension

PT is bending the knee because I don't have the quad strength to do it and the muscles are super tight around the knee cap. I develop adhesions very quickly. Trying to gain some ROM..

Swelling in knee is minimal compared to post TKR.

Taking two ES Tylenol and getting good pain coverage with that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw my surgeon today for 2 week post-op check. X-rays look great. Hip is healing well. :happydance:

The knee has progressed but will still take a lot of time and work.
 
Good news on your follow up visit with OS. Bet they were glad to see how well you are doing. All of your icing and elevating is paying off!!

Hopefully the knee will get better with the PT :)
 
It has been three weeks since THR and I am pleased with my progress. I am walking with a cane and feel stronger each day. I tried the recumbent bike to help my knee along but found it really caused soreness in my hip. Too early for that I think!
 
One month since my replacement. A couple of questions:

1. I have some pre-existing low back pain that is successfully managed by chiropractic treatment. When is it safe to have an adjustment? I had the anterior approach. @Josephine do you have any experience with this?

2. I have swelling on the lateral side of the operated hip with occasional redness, especially in the morning. Is this typical one month out, and having had anterior approach?

Thank you.
 
I think it would be better to wait until at least 8 weeks out, 12 if you'd have any other approach. But a good chiro should know how to work around a new THR.

As for your swelling, can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] I am now a hippie too!


[Bonesmart.org] I am now a hippie too!
 
@Josephine The swelling and redness is at it's worst in the morning. It is at DL6F and EL6F, wrapping around to DL1B and EL1B.

Thank you for the reply about the chiropractor.
 
Thank you for this explanation. I have noticed the pain in the deep buttock prior to and after the THR. Also, the swelling in the L1B area was present prior to surgery. Perhaps this is affecting some of my knee pain and restricted flexion as well. Since my entire left leg has had multiple surgeries and hardware, it's hard to know what causes what.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering how my surgery date twin is doing after 4 weeks?

I'm finally allowed to ditch the walker (yesterday) and use a cane. (Started out with weight-bearing restrictions that are now gone.) I'm thrilled to be able to drive finally, so I'm no longer completely dependent on others. Still run out of steam fairly quickly, though. The next milestone I'm eager to reach is being allowed to go swimming! It's 100 degrees here, and the pool is beckoning. Two more weeks!

Hope things are going well for you!

-Debby
 
@Dkp Great to hear from you, Surgery Twin! Sounds like you are doing very well. :egypdance:

My hip is doing great. I am back to driving too. Doesn't that feel great? I use my cane if I go on a walk or am out somewhere. At home, I find I really don't need it. I find my legs and stamina to be improving as well. I can't wait to get in the pool either. I will check with my surgeon on that at my appointment in two weeks.

I'm still going to PT for my knee. That's been much more of a struggle. I've been making small strides there and just keep plugging away, hoping to get the flexion I need.

We are getting there!!! :dancy:
 
I saw my surgeon today. It has been 5 1/2 weeks since LTHR. Everything looks great. I am able to return to work next week. Also, I can get back into the therapy pool! Yeah! I'm so glad I did this surgery. I still am a bit sore at times but there is such a huge improvement over the bone on bone pain!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom