Guest viewing is limited

THR I am now a hippie too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kmgraxy the log leg usually lasts about a week and dissipates. Yay!
@PuppyLove I had morning stiffness when trying to get up out of bed for about 5 weeks. Whew, glad that
is gone. Now if the stiffness on standing after sitting awhile will go away!!
 
I am two days ahead of you but still hardest thing to do is get operates leg into bed. Guess all takes time and patience :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Stiffness when you are just post-op is totally normal. Take those pain meds by the clock. Ice and elevate to control the swelling - that will also ease the stiffness. That "log leg" feeling will ease as you get more and more mobile.
 
For log leg, get a leg lifter - can't beat them!

[Bonesmart.org] I am now a hippie too!



You also need to read these
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And this: Hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@kmgraxy I'm on my second day home and 4th day since surgery and I'm experiencing all of the same things you are. Glad to be recovering together - rest and relax!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My experience was it's easier to put the operated leg up last. I actually used the hook of a cane against the arch of my foot to lift that leg. It's difficult in the early days, but it gets easier as you get stronger and your incision heals. I still struggle getting the operated leg out of bed, but that's coming along as well. I'll be 4 weeks post-op on Tuesday.
 
I slept the whole night, waking only one time!! That's the best night of sleep I have had in several months. So happy! Only four days since the surgery and I am doing so much better than I thought I would. :yes!:
 
Isn't that a great feeling to be doing so much better than you thought?
Awesome!
 
I slept the whole night, waking only one time!! That's the best night of sleep I have had in several months. So happy! Only four days since the surgery and I am doing so much better than I thought I would. :yes!:
Is gets better and better:) keep up the great recovery.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
New pain this evening. Outside of thigh. Feels like it is muscle that is sore. I'm guessing this is "normal"?

I start PT tomorrow. I had a MUA of my left knee while my hip was done. Need to get the knee working but in a way that it doesn't irritate the hip. We shall see.
 
karen - I came to 'this side' to check on your progress. It sounds as if you are doing great, and I am happy for you. My THR is in three weeks.
 
karen - I came to 'this side' to check on your progress. It sounds as if you are doing great, and I am happy for you. My THR is in three weeks.
How nice of you! Things are going much better than I had anticipated. I hope your experience is as good. Ask all the questions you have. I felt so prepared going into this surgery. Knowledge is power.
 
Bandage came off today and incision seems to be healing. I have increased swelling and soreness in thigh today so I have spent most of the day elevating and icing. Walking is going well. I am able to lift the leg easier today. All in all I feel my progress is going well.

I am taking Norco and Tylenol for pain. 325 mg aspirin to thin my blood. Is it okay to use ibuprofen to decrease the swelling? @Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It will get better as the days progress. All the best to you.

Direct Anterior RTHR May 12, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The 325mg aspirin is really bothering my stomach. I wonder how long I will need to be on it. Other than that my hip is doing great. My knee is stiffer than I would like. Lots of icing again today.
 
Were you given omeprazole to take with the aspirin? I was and I guess it is some coating protectant for your stomach for the heavy aspirin amounts.. Seems to be doing trick as my stomach feels fine


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Were you given omeprazole to take with the aspirin? I was and I guess it is some coating protectant for your stomach for the heavy aspirin amounts.. Seems to be doing trick as my stomach feels fine


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
Yes. I take omeprazole bid. I have taken it for years for acid reflux.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom