I am having surgery Monday, June 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good wishes to you for your surgery! Just a few more days! Sleep will be so much easier without all the pain!
 
nogods-I was only a taking tramodol. So I didnt have to get off anything. The paperwork said no nsaids and I hadnt been taking them for a while since they stopped working. The doc did give me a low dos of oxycodiene. It helps but not alot.
 
texas girl-I cant wait to have no pain with sleep. I dont even know what it is like not to feel pain in bed!
 
I have knee pillows and even elevate wedges from years of dealing with knee issues. But the hospital told me not to bring them as they will provide a wedge pillow top keep by legs apart whether I'm on my back or side.

They also said to bring a robe and "comfortable clothing." I'm most comfortable when I'm naked, but that probably isn't allowed in the hospital.

Unless I'm in so much pain that I can't get out of bed I'm going to want to get up and get dressed by the morning of the second day to help me feel a bit more normal. I'm going to bring a pair of exercise shorts.

My biggest concern is underwear. I usually wear boxer brief compression style underwear because of my daily workouts. But I've tried getting them on without bending 90 degrees and that is impossible - my 14 EEE feet get hung up inside too easily. I bought some boxers to use for that purpose and for recuperating at home. I could wear the exercise shorts without underwear but after a day or two the stain would start showing through.....
 
@brooklyn Welcome! I didn't sleep for months before surgery, I was discharged the day after surgery and slept like a dead thing other than to potty. 25 days post op I am waking up, but go back to sleep quickly...I have soreness around my hip, but it is totally different from the burning I had prior.
On what to wear, I just did sleep pants and t shirts, no underwear (I was well covered, so I unabashedly went out in public that way) I had no position restrictions, but did use an old foam pillow between my knees when sleeping on my side for comfort. Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and smooth recovery!
 
I am nervous because I know kinda what to expect, from my knee surgery.
Hi @brooklyn I am in my 10th week of recovery from my RTHR and I also had my left knee replaced 4 years ago. Please don't be nervous by comparing the two surgeries. I felt the same way but I am here to tell you that mobility after THR was much easier. As a matter of fact the whole experience was easier - I was pleasantly surprised:) Best wishes for a speedy recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Brooklyn - sounds cliche but you'll do great. I am post-op Day 4. An I I can rock this, you can. Once I got the epideral (which scared me and I cried) I was good!

For my procedure, I was in gown the whole time which worked fabulous as I needed bedpan first night (restricted to bed due to spinal block and numbness - all good at controlling pain btw). Also on day two when mobile, was way easier to go potty with gown on than worrying about shorts/pants. When time for PT I didn't care but they kept me covered and on day of discharge I wore some sleep pajama pants - nice and loose with no undies. Worked well for me.

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Tee-Thank you. Your email made me feel hopeful. I am not looking forward to everything I had with my knee. I didnt know what to expect then so I was OK going in. Now I kinda know certain things and I just dont want to go there again. I like your idea of PJ pants and that is what I am going to do!!! That is all I am packing in my little bag. Thanks again BTW. Are you walking around the house. With the walker or cane? Do you have pain?
 
Teakea66-My experience with my knee was terrible. I dont ever want that again!!!! I am just afraid that my hip will be the same. I am glad you said it was easier than the knee. I hope so. Thanks
 
Brooklyn - I am walking around faster each day. Right now use walker but steadier every day. At the top of the stairs today I was using the cane and felt steady. I am actually surprised its as easy as it seems to be roughest part is getting in and out of bed - muscles sore and weak but that's temporary!!! All in all, I don't think it's that bad!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So today is Day 4 post-op. I came home Friday and was walking and doing stairs. Yesterday was first full day home and I walked more, did steps twice, ate dinner in living room downstairs etc. this morning went down for breakfast and to feed cats and will go down few times today. Start home PT tomorrow. Getting around better each day and stairs are a piece of cake :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
WOW I hope I am like you. I do have a few years on you so you are still a spring chicken. LOL I feel hopeful talking to you!!!! I cant even go up the stairs. Do you have pain while you are moving in the bed. Do you sleep on your back. Do you have a pillow between your legs. Sorry for all the questions.
 
As for bed - bit tired of laying on my back but back sleeping it is for me for the time being. I prop the corner of a pillow under my surgical side from time to time to help shift weight. Getting used to it and it won't be permanent. As for stairs they were hard pre surgery - think I do them faster now with aide of cane to be honest.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Frieds-How is your walk. Do you limp anymore? My limp is horrible. I am also afraid he will make my leg shorter than the other one. I am starting to freak out I guess
 
@brooklyn , most every new hippie feels like one leg is longer than the other. But I most cases, this eases. Your pelvis is tilted while you are limping trying to stay off that sore hip. Once the hip is replaced your pelvis will balance again. It can take up to 4 months - so worry not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom