I already have 2 new knees and I may need 2 new hips

KneedyinNJ

I have an appointment with my surgeon next week and I am anticipating that he will recommend replacement of at least my left hip.

I have a question about stairs if I do need both hips done.
I have 13 stairs to get into my house, how is someone supposed to handle stairs with 2 new hips?
Also I am 5'2", I don't know if I can do stairs without flexing my hip joint to < 90 degrees, will that be a problem?

Also, I know driving is a no-no with pain killers, but other than pain killers, what restrictions are there on driving?

Hi...Welcome to the Hip Pre-Op side.

The only restrictions I ever hear in relation to driving post op is that you need to be off the heavy narcotics and have the ability to hit the brake. Many practice in their neighborhood or a parking lot before heading out on the busier roads.

Here are a few articles you may find beneficial -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/choosing-a-surgeon-and-a-prosthesis.2491/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...visions-how-long-will-my-new-joint-last.4491/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pre-op-interviews-whats-involved.13327/
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/

Here's some info on stairs -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/stairs-how-to-cope-with-stairs-after-surgery.4474/

Stop back often so we can support you along the way!
@KneedyinNJ

I don't understand the breaking the 90* deal climbing stairs, 90* means you're bending over to touch your toes. Driving restrictions are only that you can function well enough to drive. Most that never have surgery can't do that yet they still have licenses, and I believe the rest are on drugs.

They will teach you everything you need to know about moving around on your own before you leave the hospital. This includes going up and down stairs.
what restrictions are there on driving?
Every surgeon is different on this. My LTHR surgeon said 6 weeks and my RTHR surgeon said when you are ready. It's important to be off any heavy pain killers and have the strength in your legs to operate the car. Being able to confident perform an emergency stop is critical.

Also - if your surgeon imposes restrictions on driving and you drive before they are formally lifted you do run the risk of insurance refusing to cover you in case you have an accident.

I don't understand the breaking the 90* deal climbing stairs, 90* means you're bending over to touch your toes. Driving restrictions are only that you can function well enough to drive. Most that never have surgery can't do that yet they still have licenses, and I believe the rest are on drugs.

I am afraid when I lift my knee up to bring my foot up to the stair, it will break the 90*

They will teach you everything you need to know about moving around on your own before you leave the hospital. This includes going up and down stairs.
Every surgeon is different on this. My LTHR surgeon said 6 weeks and my RTHR surgeon said when you are ready. It's important to be off any heavy pain killers and have the strength in your legs to operate the car. Being able to confident perform an emergency stop is critical.

Also - if your surgeon imposes restrictions on driving and you drive before they are formally lifted you do run the risk of insurance refusing to cover you in case you have an accident.

I was chomping at the bit to drive after my BTKR. I really needed the painkillers, but I really wanted my independence back too, so I was happy when I was off the meds & allowed back behind the wheel. I am hoping that I am not in a situation where I am off the pain pills, but not allowed to drive.

I am hoping that I am not in a situation where I am off the pain pills, but not allowed to drive.
If you can't do an emergency stop then you will not be able to drive. My best advice is just relax and let yourself recover. Fighting every limitation will only result in frustration. Your hip/s will be in charge. Listen to them and you can't go wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: dlp
If you can't do an emergency stop then you will not be able to drive. My best advice is just relax and let yourself recover. Fighting every limitation will only result in frustration. Your hip/s will be in charge. Listen to them and you can't go wrong.

Agreed. Best to relax and let your body decide, and tell the brain to chill out a bit. And I also understand the frustration - just bought myself a fancy-pants new convertible that is just sitting in the garage taunting me!

I am afraid when I lift my knee up to bring my foot up to the stair, it will break the 90*
Most healthy people can't lift their leg high enough standing in place to be over 90*, you'd have to be climbing a ladder 2 rungs at a time.

The approach and surgeon for a THR will dictate if you have any restrictions. I’ve had two anterior THR’s; my only restriction was putting operative leg out behind me.

I have a question about stairs if I do need both hips done.
I have 13 stairs to get into my house, how is someone supposed to handle stairs with 2 new hips?
Also I am 5'2", I don't know if I can do stairs without flexing my hip joint to < 90 degrees, will that be a problem?
I am 5'3 and had double hip replacement with no restrictions.
Stairs were a challenge the first month (only had about six to get on to porch, though)
Just had to go slow and got easier as time went on.
I didn't go out alot the first few weeks except for doctor appointment so those legs could heal up and hubby insisted I didn't do stairs without someone around.
I just paced the porch when left alone:heehee:
You might find hip recovery less challenging than knees:shrug:

I am 5'3 and had double hip replacement with no restrictions.
Stairs were a challenge the first month (only had about six to get on to porch, though)
Just had to go slow and got easier as time went on.
I didn't go out alot the first few weeks except for doctor appointment so those legs could heal up and hubby insisted I didn't do stairs without someone around.
I just paced the porch when left alone:heehee:
You might find hip recovery less challenging than knees:shrug:

Thank you @Mojo333 - That makes me feel better. I just remember leaving my inpatient rehab after my knee replacement and facing 12 steps to get to the house. They had me practice steps in the rehab, but they were only 6" steps and my steps at home were 8"

My father had a knee replacement one week after I had double hip replacement...
He had a much tougher time of it, especially when it came to stairs so I can understand your anxiety.
My hip was actually immediately so much better but my quads were super sore...all recovery mess and well worth the payoff.:egypdance:
You did double knees :scare:so I'm guessing you have got this girl!:yes!:

My father had a knee replacement one week after I had double hip replacement...
He had a much tougher time of it, especially when it came to stairs so I can understand your anxiety.
My hip was actually immediately so much better but my quads were super sore...all recovery mess and well worth the payoff.:egypdance:
You did double knees :scare:so I'm guessing you have got this girl!:yes!:

Thank you @Mojo333 . I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. It is the same one that did my knees. So I guess I will know tomorrow if it is one or two. He told me a few years ago that the left hip will need to be replaced eventually, so I know that one has to go. It is the right one I am not sure about.

Don't know what to wish for you as you visit your OS tomorrow...
I guess the truth will do, right?

Hope you have a pleasant evening!
Keep us posted!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back