THR I’m worried about every new ache!<

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing better since you last posted and your pain is easing.
Leave an update next time you stop by, if you have time. We'd love to hear how you're doing.
Hope you have a nice week!
@hiphoser

Thanks for checking in @Layla and @Alitm.

I have been a very obedient patient, and faithfully stuck with either the walker inside, or crutches outside, plus four times a day.

Volatren gel on my incision.

I think there is improvement, in that I can walk comfortably with aides, and my scar looks and feels much less ouchy. What concerns me a bit is the that I still have a pretty sore spot right around the trochanter and the upper outside of my hip still feels quite “tight”. I can’t think of how to explain that, as it doesn’t really hurt; just feels tight, with that sore spot (which aches if I sit too long).

Once my two weeks are up (Sunday) I’m supposed to start slowly adding back activity, like walking without aids. I admit to being a bit confused as to how to go about slowly adding back activity when I’ve been given evidence - twice - that my hip won’t necessarily warn me when I’ve done enough.

Any tips from fellow hipsters with hips that remain silent until it’s too late would be appreciated! Meanwhile, I’m getting thoroughly sick of the inside of my house. Can’t wait for the influx of company when my two adult kiddos (plus one significant other) will descend this weekend and bring some very welcome good cheer.

Sounds like the rest did those muscles good. Maybe try with one crutch and walking very upright squeezing the glutes and doing small heel to toe steps. Then try short distances without the crutch. I practised this outside in our front garden and then would do 7 steps without crutch and applying it in the eight step against operated leg. Built up from there. Can now do a mile more or less carrying the crutch which is a huge achievement for me but I have no hesitation going back to the crutch if I get tired as don’t want to limp.

It is getting easier but that gluteus medius is a pain. There was a big improvement after 4 months.

Best of luck!

What @SurreyGirl said. Hips can be sneaky - you can cross the line on exercise fast! But unless you’re actually doing physical damage to yourself, each failure is a chance to learn what NOT to do! When I’m trying to transition from one aid to another, I have small rooms in the house to play in - places where there are close counters to support me as I’m gaining confidence. Any place like that in your house you can spend getting confidence in going without your crutch?

Greetings, i just read through your thread and I thank you and all contributors for reminding me how tough, yet fragile we are. I’m recovering after hip #2 done 2 weeks ago, and daily need to remind myself of the need for rest, etc. today I walked to 10 minutes (in the house with cane) and then felt so bad because I’d wanted to go 15 minutes longer, but my knee and groin area were uncomfortable. Time to stop. So it’s not the distance, or time, but the effort. . .or lack thereof, that helps us.

I too seem to be lured into the ODIC on a regular basis, still and again. It doesn’t take much. And, for those who proffer miracle stories of rapid recovery? Bah. Notice it’s always some relative, friend, or neighbor who is not present to verify the miracle. Apologies for the skepticism, sort of. I love Bone-obo’s idea of confidence building “rooms” to practice walking in. Always something food to pick up on these discussions. Stay well!

Thanks @Bone-obo and @SurreyGirl Yes, I do have some rooms where I have a counter or table nearby if the need arises. I was also thinking of having my Amazon Echo set a timer for five minutes several times a day, and increase by two minutes every few days.

@hiphoser You sound like you have been the model patient!! So glad things are improving. My motto is, "ice anything that is tight or sore"! I try to do three times a day for 45 mins or more. I had that soreness around the trochanter area. I backed off a bit and iced more and that seems to do the trick. There is so much soft tissue regrouping, there seem to be random niggles and tight spots that have no rhyme or reason, they come and they go. I try to focus on the heel toe footfall. I find when I really keep at that, the niggles and tight spots are few and far between.

I have to second that hips are sneaky and uninformative until wham, we have a set back. I'm treading really lightly this time around, except for week three when I felt great and did too much...which was nothing really :heehee: . I am super conservative about what I add. I didn't increase my walking distance when I was gearing down from walker to crutches, to crutch, to hiking poles, because if I did increase the walking at the same time, I had no idea what caused any discomfort, if in fact any occurred. I also don't add inclines and things like that if I'm adding distance. Try and control the variables so to speak!

I second @Bone-obo re: "confidence building" rooms. I found I was forgetting the crutch to walk from the loo to the sink in our bathroom..little things like that. Also we have a small island in our kitchen, and that has helped me cruise from one counter to the other.

Rest and icing after activity are also important to my soft tissues!
Keep us posted! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao