Hypoallergenic hip stem

Our experience with members and allergies has been that the patch tests are not as reliable as the Orthopedic Analysis test using a blood sample. So try not to panic about the conflicting results. I do suggest you give Pumpkin's suggestions for therapy a try as you continue to talk with surgeons about the possibility of a revision. Allergies are not common, and they can be difficult to impossible to diagnose for sure prior to having a revision. The whole process can be one of elimination of potential problems until you get to the point where a revision is the best option to try. But you want to exhaust all the non-surgical options first.

Sorry you're going through this. It can be very frustrating. But don't give up as long as you're still in pain. Sometimes it can take a while to find the right surgeon to "get" your problem.
 
Just wondering---have you had a full battery of labs done recently? (Metabolic, etc.) Nothing worse than a "mystery" when it comes to your own health. :gaah: Hang in there.
 
Dear Dcm1241,
I'm sorry you're having trouble so far out from surgery, and that you aren't getting any answers.
Reading through your comments, this one hit my Spidey Senses
My PT was the normal range of motion activities that began early. Then it went on to strengthening glutes etc. Nothing too extreme but they were pushing me. At 4 months I was able to walk 2 miles with not too much pain.
But then it all started to go backwards.


Many of us here know how fast things can deteriorate when we push too hard too soon and how difficult it can be to get back to Square One. I'm a bit alarmed that you were doing 2 mile walks even though it was painful. And that you were pushed in pt and worked on strengthening so soon.

Have you been evaluated by a PT who specializes in hips, or maybe by a physiatrist/sports medicine doctor? Given your extensive testing not indicating a problem with your implant, it could be that you're having problems with the muscles and tendons in your hip, butt, and core.

Perhaps you can call the office of your favorite OS, and ask for advice about who they think is a great hip therapist. IME the best PTs will analyze your gait, perform a few simple ROM tests, and evaluate the strength of certain muscle groups in order to see what's going on, where a problem lies, and establish a course of slow steady exercises for you. If they can pin down a particular problem they can advise you about other procedures that may help to resolve it, and what sort of doctor can provide them.

I wish you the very best in resolving your pain.
 
Thanks I was at a good PT for quite some time. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a muscle issue. Sometimes I also feel pain in my femur bone area as well. Just feels like the whole area is reacting for back of better description. Burning sensation around incision, tenderness around front of upper thigh etc.
Thanks for your suggestions.
 
Hello @Dcm1241
I’ve come back to your thread a number of times to catch up. Regretfully, I have nothing constructive to add. I’m sorry you’re experiencing the symptoms you’ve mentioned and the uncertainty in what to do. I just want you to know that we care and we’ll be here for you. Sending a hug with wishes for brighter days. :console2:
 
Hello I am allergic to Nickel and Vanadium and need a hip revision for the stem. My current stem is stainless steel and contains significant nickel.
Does anyone know of a titanium alloy stem that does not contain Vanadium?
I have read that some titanium is made with Niobium instead of Vanadium?
 
The best person to answer this question is the surgeon who is going to do your revision. Several of our members have had metal allergy issues and in these cases the surgeon worked with the manufacturers to find the appropriate implant.

Please keep us updated!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom