PKR How to walk?

I have been walking around the house concentrating heel through to toe and it's starting to feel comfortable. Heel slides been a bit of a tough one, but taking it slowly and hopefully will get there. Thank you so much for your help, can't tell you how much it gives encouragement x
 
Can anyone relate. I have back problems which has been worse with knee problem. My last osteopath treatment was 6 weeks ago, just before op and usually a couple of clicks and massage to glutes/piriformis sees me good for some weeks. Since my knee op it has just ,in the last 2 weeks started again. When I try to bend my knee I am left with horrid aches in the glutes, left side same as knee op, and I wonder if this is preventing me to get a good bend. Seeing my osteopath on Monday, but wondered if anyone else experiences similar. Just something else to add to this horrible journey. Thank you and wish you all well x
 
It’s reassuring that so many of us are going through similar journeys. I am now at five weeks postop and I’m consistently seeing improvements every day. The first three weeks were beyond description, lots of tears, very depressed, frustrated, wanting my life back. As mentioned above, the heel slides were the most difficult exercise and I struggle to this day. Also the bent knee on my belly isn’t fun. I try to frequently elevate ice and rest throughout the day but even at this point wish I could do more. I see early Spring arriving outdoors and I’m ready to get out in our garden. I know that may be a way off. The other day I actually went out there with a bucket and pulled some weeds, didn’t last more than 10 minutes. Hang in there, it does get better although certainly not as quickly as we might like. My baby sister went through this surgery four years ago and in asking her when she felt like she just about reached the finish line her response was “When I could kick myself in the booty. “ I had a great day today at PT, she measured me at 125 and 0. I am thrilled.
 
Too much hype is placed on heel slides, I'm 4 months post op probably did heel slides 2-3 times initially after surgery then decided I detested them and point blankly refused to do any more, it has made no difference in my recovery and why make yourself do something uncomfortable if there is really no need, your Rom will come with time, at this stage in your recovery your PT sessions and DLA ( daily living activities) are sufficient.
Your PT will teach you how to walk, I still tell myself heal to toe, heal to toe and have noticed I walk much better I'm averaging on almost 10000 steps a day (including my dla) if the weather is bad I use my mini peddler as I feel my knee now feel better when it moves- stiffness comes from sitting or standing too long.
Be patient with yourself, full recovery can take up to a couple of years but in the end it will All be worth it x
 
Too much hype is placed on heel slides, I'm 4 months post op probably did heel slides 2-3 times initially after surgery then decided I detested them and point blankly refused to do any more, it has made no difference in my recovery and why make yourself do something uncomfortable if there is really no need, your Rom will come with time,
I agree 100 %
 
Many thanks for such valued advice. My daily worry is achieving the good knee bend and some days because of swelling, stiffness I just cannot do it. Ice is my companion. Since doing the heel to toe with my walking I can feel a difference, so feel good about that. As with the dreaded knee bends, it's drummed into us from the start we have to get to 90 or we will have problems. Hence, that little man keeps popping up telling me off when, because of stiffness/swelling I just do the best I can manage. Better than nothing? If we don't do the bends daily I was told the knee would NEVER bend, but after hearing others stories on here, I am starting to have faith and stop beating myself up. I can't do the strengthening exercises my PT gave me, squats and sitting/standing unaided from a chair as it brings on swelling so back to the start. He also wants me to sit with leg up on a chair to let knee drop. ???? Thanks again, just get so confused with this knee bending and winding myself up with tears. I will be 6 weeks next Tuesday. X
 
Andypandy, so many of your comments resonate with the experience of my OH who had his TKR earlier this month, especially the pain and sleeping. I think it probably resonates with the majority of the forum members. When you said: "if you can do it one day...then why not every day" your knee really does need time to get used to each day's activities. Some will be fine and some days won't. We've found ice and elevation has been brilliant but even with oramorph OH still finds it very difficult to get a straight 3 hours sleep so if I were you i wouldnt feel bad about that. Keep going at your own pace. :ok:
 
@Lovablenut Certainly is a tough one, never thought it would be this hard. Not just the pain the emotions that come along for free! Just saying to my OH again, you don't really see much difference daily even going through the exercise regime. Taking oromorph 1 morning 1 evening and gives a little help but I find ice is my saviour. And, yes I think you're right, we each need to do as we can. Thank you and best wishes to your OH x
 
Stop trying so hard to bend your knee. It will not freeze up, nor will it stay at this ROM number. The bend your knee gets while you walk around throughout your day is plenty of exercise at this stage.


Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Not just the pain the emotions that come along for free!
 
@Jaycey just wondered if you can advise: last couple of days when walking, my knee suddenly "gives" only occasionally, really weird feeling. Wondering if its the knee starting to free up? Walking improving, talking to myself heel to toe, certainly helps. Thanks x
 
@Jaycey Has anyone ever come up behind you when standing straight and tapped the back of your knee which makes it bend. It's that kind of sensation. Or, when walking it suddenly goes straight and feels like a jolt.
 
Ah - I understand. Let me tag my colleague @Celle to see if she has any input for you.
 
7 weeks post op today and the best I have felt. Albeit now have a UTI so antibiotics. Our system really goes through it. I actually felt my inner self smiling, take each day though and accept highs and lows. Saw my surgeon today and he was really pleased with my progress, gave me a couple of tips to help get my walk right. Not concerned on checking movement but saw my results from PT and was more than happy. However, he was not happy PT tried to get on wall squats, definitely not! Showed me x ray of my joint and all in all good job done. 2 weeks ago I really couldn't see the light, but it is there. Stay strong everyone and thank you for helping me. We are all in this together xx
 
Good for you Andypandy! Baby steps! We'll take them! Hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and you are feeling better soon.
 
@Rubyroo thank you, yes definitely baby steps and some days that light shines brighter than others. Take care x
 
@Rubyroo Not too bad but horrid sicky feeling from antibiotics . Didn't do much in way of exercises due to how I was feeling, but I refuse to beat myself up any more over that. I have learnt so much from here and believe it can only aid to our recovery to take that back step when needed. How about you, how's things. Take care x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom