THR How long after THR can you swim?

Hi @Small1014 ,
I've read your "swimming thread" with great interest because swimming is among my favourite kinds of sport. I can confirm what Celle says - the incision must be healed and show no open areas, blisters, bleeding, etc.

I hope you are still enjoying your swims. My left hip replacement was in 2015. Seven days post-op, I went to a rehab centre at Wiesbaden/Germany for 3 weeks which has an indoor swimming pool. The orthopaedic doctor at that rehab okayed me for swimming just after a little less than 2 weeks, but then again, that was under constant supervision - I had regular medical checks during rehab. We had lots of activities during rehab -gentle gymnastics etc which was conducive to the recovery process (no hard physiotherapy) and some of the activities included water gymnastics/water walking/aqua jogging. Swimming and other activities in the water can help the recovery process because you exercise/strengthen your muscles because there is resistance but no weight bearing. I wish you a lot of fun and a great recovery.
Hello @Constanze! Thank you for the good wishes! Yes, I have enjoyed swimming as I recover! It feels so good to get the whole body moving, and a great way to exercise the hips. I have just been diagnosed with tendinitis in the hip, which causes a lot of pain in the hip flexor area when lifting the leg up. But it doesn’t hurt at all while swimming, so that’s my go-to exercise! That’s amazing thAt you were able to swim at two weeks post surgery- I’m sure that helped you heal more quickly.
 
Hello!
@Small1014 , Like Layla, I wish you that your tendinitis will get better soon.
I think the swimming pool water in my rehab had healing properties because it's from the medicinal water of the Taunus hills, which are located north of the city of Wiesbaden. It's a sort of spa area where people go for relaxation. The hospital where I had my hip was operated is also in the vicinity. So, for those who feel up to it and are well enough recovered. We could do our walking around the area and enjoy the fresh air.
 
Hello :wave:
Sorry to read you're dealing with tendinitis. Thankfully it's not interrupting your swimming.
Check out this little video below as it gives a great explanation of what you're dealing with -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tendinitis-an-explanation.51325/

Also an article that may apply...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/psoas-tendinopathy-and-surgery.45784/

I hope you find relief soon!
@Small1014
Thank you @Layla ... the articles were very helpful! Fingers crossed that this heals without requiring surgery.
 
Hi @Small1014
You're welcome!
I can't imagine this resulting in surgery, I'll bet it slowly resolves on its own, but I'll cross my fingers with you anyway. I hope you're not feeling horribly restricted or in excessive pain. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. Sending a healing hug and wishes for a good weekend!
 
Thanks, @Layla! So far the cortisone regimen and anti-inflammatories are having little effect. But I only have pain when I lift the leg up- like when putting on shoes. I’ve read that they sometimes have to go in and “release” the psoas tendon surgically to correct it, and hoping it doesn’t come to that.
 
Well, we can continue to hope it doesn't come to that. I know SaraK and jws
both experienced that procedure with a good result.
Let's think positive and hold out hope it eases soon. :)
Happy Friday to you!
@Small1014
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Wondering how you're doing? I hope things have improved for you.
Wishing you a great week. :)
@Small1014
 
Happy One Year Anniversary, Lefty! With any luck you‘ll get a notification and see this. :)
I see you’re coming up on two years for, Righty, in about 5 weeks or so.
Hoping all is well and you‘re enjoying life to the fullest.
Happy Summer 2020!
 
I’ve read that they sometimes have to go in and “release” the psoas tendon surgically to correct it, and hoping it doesn’t come to that.

I’m not sure if you are still checking messages, @Small1014, but I was curious how things played out with your tendinitis? I think I have this on my right side (THR 11 months ago). It is better than it was a few months ago, but my recovery has not been normal due to soft tissue complications that severely limited my activity. I’m hoping it will continue to improve once I am able to become more active, but hearing from others that did NOT end up needing surgical lengthening or release would be very helpful.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom