THR How long after THR can you swim?

[Bonesmart.org] How long after THR can you swim?
Here is “my” pool!!
 
Hi there :wave:
Where there's a will, there's a way :wink:
Look at you out there getting a tan and staying cool.
It's good to read you enjoyed the pool. I hope you have a nice week as you continue the journey.
Happy Monday!
@Small1014
 
Hello and Happy Sunday!
How's it going? We haven't heard about your recovery since you're pool post.
Assuming all is well. Please leave an update. We'd love to read of your progress.
Since you're able to swim now, I'll bet there's been some of that going on :swim:
Enjoy and have a great week!
@Small1014
 
Hi @Layla ! Yes- I swam yesterday for the first time, and it felt amazing! I'm officially at 6 weeks post op now, and things are progressing very well. I guess every surgery is different, but I feel right now like I did at 3 months post op or more on the first one. I still had some lingering pain up until close to 6 months on that one. Now, I only have pain with extra activity- (i.e. a PT session on Fri night followed by a 25 min swim on Sat!) I'll see if I can post my 1 week, 3 week and 6 week incision photos below! (Got 3 and 6 week, but 1 week won't upload...(but it was pretty scary looking!) Happy Sunday! :loveshwr:

[Bonesmart.org] How long after THR can you swim? [Bonesmart.org] How long after THR can you swim?
 
Hi :wave:
It sounds like you're doing great! At only six weeks post op and you're feeling as you did three months post op with the first is awesome. How exciting! And to think it will keep getting better and better.
You're on your way. Enjoy those swims! :swim:
@Small1014
 
That is great! Btw I left my swimming goggles behind and someone pinched them so take care of your stuff!

Hope it is all going well. Are you doing water walking too?
 
That is great! Btw I left my swimming goggles behind and someone pinched them so take care of your stuff!

Hope it is all going well. Are you doing water walking too?

No water walking yet- but I will try it!
 
Just be careful. You are pushing against water so this will make your muscles work hard!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I'll bet you're squeezing a few more swims out of the Summer.
Although you're down in the warm sunny parts where you can swim until who knows when...
At any rate, I hope you're enjoying your two new hips and life without the nasty pain.
Drop us an update next time you're on the forum. Love hearing from you. :)
Have a great holiday weekend!
@Small1014
 
As my username would indicate, I love to swim. Swimming is my business and I will not go swimming until my OS tells me my incision is healed enough to do so. I test customers' swimming pool/hot tub water samples on a daily basis and just because a pool/hot tub is clear does not mean the water is okay. Regarding hot tubs, I won't set foot in one unless I have been able to test the water. They are just a breeding ground for bacteria so consequently I rarely use them.

There is a swimming pool staring at me right now and there is nothing I would love to do more than jump in but I won't until given the A okay.

It's frustrating for it to be this way because I think water has tremendous and undervalued healing powers. So when you can enjoy swimming then go for it! There do seem to be some products addressing wound protection for in the water but none that I feel confident in trying.
 
As my username would indicate, I love to swim. Swimming is my business and I will not go swimming until my OS tells me my incision is healed enough to do so. I test customers' swimming pool/hot tub water samples on a daily basis and just because a pool/hot tub is clear does not mean the water is okay. Regarding hot tubs, I won't set foot in one unless I have been able to test the water. They are just a breeding ground for bacteria so consequently I rarely use them.

There is a swimming pool staring at me right now and there is nothing I would love to do more than jump in but I won't until given the A okay.

It's frustrating for it to be this way because I think water has tremendous and undervalued healing powers. So when you can enjoy swimming then go for it! There do seem to be some products addressing wound protection for in the water but none that I feel confident in trying.

Thanks, Swimmer! I did wait until I hit 6 weeks before getting in a pool! I’ve swum a few times now, and it feels great! Glad I listened to all my BoneSmart friends and waited til it was safe!
 
As my username would indicate, I love to swim. Swimming is my business and I will not go swimming until my OS tells me my incision is healed enough to do so. I test customers' swimming pool/hot tub water samples on a daily basis and just because a pool/hot tub is clear does not mean the water is okay. Regarding hot tubs, I won't set foot in one unless I have been able to test the water. They are just a breeding ground for bacteria so consequently I rarely use them.

There is a swimming pool staring at me right now and there is nothing I would love to do more than jump in but I won't until given the A okay.

It's frustrating for it to be this way because I think water has tremendous and undervalued healing powers. So when you can enjoy swimming then go for it! There do seem to be some products addressing wound protection for in the water but none that I feel confident in trying.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I'll bet you're squeezing a few more swims out of the Summer.
Although you're down in the warm sunny parts where you can swim until who knows when...
At any rate, I hope you're enjoying your two new hips and life without the nasty pain.
Drop us an update next time you're on the forum. Love hearing from you. :)
Have a great holiday weekend!
@Small1014

Thanks, @Layla! Things are good at 2 months out, although I’m having some hip flexor soreness from the PT. I’m taking a full week off from that to let muscles rest and heal. Headed to Nashville for the weekend, and looking forward to a long weekend away!
 
Hello :wave:
I'm happy to read you're taking cues from your body. Sadly, many ignore and power through the pain.
As I'm sure you've read here, recovery from THR is not a "no pain, no gain" type of situation.

Safe travels to Nashville! I've never been. Leave an update when you get back if you feel like sharing and tell us all about it, most importantly how your two new hips held out.
Enjoy!
@Small1014
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary to Lefty!
I hope all is well. Leave us an update when you're around next if you have the time.
Would love to hear from you.
All the best until then. :wave:
@Small1014
 
Hi @Small1014 ,
I've read your "swimming thread" with great interest because swimming is among my favourite kinds of sport. I can confirm what Celle says - the incision must be healed and show no open areas, blisters, bleeding, etc.

I hope you are still enjoying your swims. My left hip replacement was in 2015. Seven days post-op, I went to a rehab centre at Wiesbaden/Germany for 3 weeks which has an indoor swimming pool. The orthopaedic doctor at that rehab okayed me for swimming just after a little less than 2 weeks, but then again, that was under constant supervision - I had regular medical checks during rehab. We had lots of activities during rehab -gentle gymnastics etc which was conducive to the recovery process (no hard physiotherapy) and some of the activities included water gymnastics/water walking/aqua jogging. Swimming and other activities in the water can help the recovery process because you exercise/strengthen your muscles because there is resistance but no weight bearing. I wish you a lot of fun and a great recovery.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom