THR How long after THR can you swim?

:gaah:Just taking a poll on this topic, as my OS has said no swimming or hot tubs for 6 weeks after surgery. Have others pretty much received the same advice? Anyone told that 4 weeks should be sufficient, if you keep the incision covered? It's very hot in Texas right now, and a pool would feel so amazing. Curious to hear your experience with this issue! :groan:
 
Hi @Small1014 ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
To answer your question about swimming:
You shouldn't swim or submerge your incision in water until the skin surface has completely healed, with no open areas or scabs at all - even if you cover them.
How long that takes differs from person to person, so an arbitrary recommendation of 4 or 6 weeks isn't really applicable.

If you go into water before that, you run the risk of introducing infection into your wound, and you really don't want to do that.
It's OK to stand under a cool shower, though, so perhaps you could do that to cool off?
 
Hi @Small1014
I'm sure you're just asking out of curiosity and it is interesting sometimes to hear how varied protocol is across the country, and beyond. But if you read some of the infection stories on the forum, I guarantee you'll do exactly as your surgeon orders. My heart goes out to those who suffer those often lengthy complications.
You can do it...only three weeks to go. :yes!: :swim:
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
 
Please listen to your surgeon and forego any submersion in water for the full six weeks. There are risks even with a bandage. You don't want to soak and soften skin on a fresh wound. Pools and the ocean can have just as much bacteria as a hot tub, so none are really safe. Even soaking in a bathtub is not a good idea. Only showers until your six weeks is up, okay? Then you're not putting yourself at risk.
 
:wave: Hi @Small1014 Thanks for the update! It sounds like you're doing so well. Coming up on a One Year Anniversary for your first THR already too. Time sure flies. Amazing you went from the walker to walking unassisted. Good for you!

Regarding your question, I'm the wrong person to ask, lol. Believe it or not, my OS advised no hot tubs, baths, pools, lakes, oceans etc for three months post op. Felt extreme but I did abide because I felt it something went wrong because I didn't listen, I'd want to kick myself. The protocol does vary from surgeon to surgeon as you mentioned, just as it does with other aspects of recovery. My advice would be to follow your OS's instruction, because I believe you'd feel like I mentioned I would above if something went wrong. In my opinion, it's just not worth it. Consider calling the office of your OS to see if they'd look at a current photo of your incision and possibly reconsider.

Safe travels to California next week. I hope you have a fabulous time creating new memories.
Please stay in touch!

My consultant said the same… Particularly with regards to hot tubs… I really missed the swimming but enjoy it now and it is really helping. Nice to get a decent kick out of my left leg after pulling it along for so long..
 
Don't let SurreyGirl fool you @Small1014
It's not the swimming she likes it's a character she calls Fit Bloke.
So basically it's the scenery, not the pool. :rotfl:

Just kidding with you, @SurreyGirl only because I know you have a sense of humor :wink:

Have a great weekend, ladies!
 
lol! I had Fit Bloke and Taiwundo Kick Boxing man alongside me in the pool yesterday. At one point it was just the three of us, then they went and I had the pool to myself…..I managed an hour long swim. And the swimming lesson I had helped too. @Layla I may have to have a non-hip related op that would stop me from swimming for a while. I truly hope this is not the case as it is doing me so much good… My legs are no longer shapeless! Fingers crossed. Temperatures here in the South UK are about to hit 32 degrees… wow!
 
You, stud magnet, you! :heehee: I'm surprised hubs lets you out of the house.

On a serious note, great news on the swimming. It sounds likes its benefitted you in many ways.
I hope you don't need a non hip related op but if you do, I hope it doesn't keep you away from the pool for too long.

Sounds like it's a hot one in your area. It's been horribly hot and humid here and it will finally break today with the rain that has been falling all morning. Only 11:30 am here now. I'm sure you're nearing the dinner hour.
Have a nice evening!
@SurreyGirl

Forgot I was blabbing on @Small1014 thread. I get lost some days, lol. Sorry!
Look what you have to look forward to in a mere three weeks, small1014.
Fun at the pool! :swim:
 
She's a friendly one, she'll forgive us :praying: I know she will. :wink:
 
Whew! I'm happy to read you've decided to sit out and abide by you're surgeon's advice. You're wise.
We just want our peeps to be healthy and happy. :yes!: :happydance:@Small1014

Look, I just bumped you up to the top of the list again :wink:
 
hi! Sounds like your recovery is going much better now. When I had my hip done March 1 all I was concerned with was making it through the surgery and waking up as I had only ever had my tonsils out before that. I did wake up but the recovery that first week was brutal even with all the painkillers. My friends who had the surgery never really told me how painful it would be and of course its different for everyone. It did get better and each day was easier for sure. now I see how far I have come of course it being almost 5 months. I love to swim and waited the 6 weeks my surgeon told me to wait. In fact I waited another week only because I was still in so much pain walking. The moment I got in the pool I was in heaven even though I didn't do much the first few times. I would wait if I were you only because you don't want any infections or delays in your healing. If you are ok sitting by the pool with your feet in the water and standing on the steps that would be ok but I personally wouldn't get that wound wet. Good luck in your decision and have a great trip.
 
As so many people have commented, the variation among surgeons is huge. My doctor said that once the zipper covering was removed, if the incision was not open and appeared good, I could begin taking baths. I didn't ask about swimming, as I am not much of a swimmer. But I live for my nightly baths. He removed the covering at two weeks, said it looked great, and that it wold be best to shower first to clean my body, and then bath with no bubbles/salts for the first couple weeks in clean water. To be on the safe side, since my surgery was anterior, I typically put just put a few inches of water in and kept the incision out of the water pretty much. Perhaps this would be different for those with posterior incisions. I didn't do full immersion until about 3-4 weeks. But as others also have said, I think unless our surgeon gives us advice that seems really off, it is best to honor their protocols to make the care more seamless.
 
I asked my surgeons office this very same question about swimming in the lake and they told me if the incision is completely closed and healed it would be okay. I’m 5 weeks post op. But I decided not to until after my 6 weeks post op visit with my surgeon. I had a small pocket that looked to be infected about 2 weeks ago and after visiting the surgeons office to check it said it was nothing serious to worry about and has since cleared up with my cleaning protocol. However, to be on the safe side I’m waiting before I take a dip. Using a spray bottle with Fresh well water to spritz myself when I’m out in the pontoon boat with my family while they indulge swimming in the lake.
 
Happy One month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. With any luck your temps have cooled a bit in Texas.
We're low 70's tomorrow and I'm super excited. Happy dance > :happydance:
Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Small1014
 
Happy One month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. With any luck your temps have cooled a bit in Texas.
We're low 70's tomorrow and I'm super excited. Happy dance > :happydance:
Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Small1014
Hi @Layla! I flew to Fla last week to visit my sister, and it rained the whole time! (A great remedy for my craving to swim!). I did do some floating at a friend’s pool, with incision all bandaged up and wrapped with press n seal. Laid on a high floatee that kept water out. Glad it worked, and did my soul good- pic below:
[Bonesmart.org] How long after THR can you swim?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom