How do you get up from the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, well done Chris! It looks so painful for me to even imagine but it looks like you've got it down pat!
:yay:

Historian....there really isn't a timetable for starting to kneel. You could start practicing on something soft like the bed. But, you're right about needing to strengthen the quads. That will improve your "form" as you learn to get up from the ground level. Those muscles are VERY important to a lot of activities.

My PT wants to address this by the end of next week--I play (and attend) a lot of folk festivals and I can't always depend on having a seat-cane with me. All I know is that it's been dang near impossible for me for years now. A few years ago, I was part of a trio and we were put up by the guy who was running the concert we did in his barn in Iowa. My two able-bodied singing partners got the guest room because it was up a steep flight of stairs, so I got an air mattress on the living room floor. Unfortunately, I had to get up during the night for...you know what...and to my horror found that the mattress had deflated--and there was a 20-lb. kitty snuggled into my side. I grunted and hauled myself over to the edge of the sofa and by sheer upper body strength was able to pull myself up on to the couch so I could stand up to walk to the bathroom. On my return, I opted to remain on the couch...and the cat decided to keep me company. I suppose I can use my old ski training if I have my cane with me, and plant it diagonally as one would a ski pole to aid in getting up from a fall.

Hi all and thanks Chris for I have wonder that very thing. Before reading this post I had to get down on the floor for the first time, it has been 9weeks and I got up pretty much the way Chris discribed, not once did I use my knees but a lot of arm and quad muscles to get to a standing position.
Kim

Hi Historian, 5 months is okay for the surgery, time is only related to how you feel. You may start by getting on all fours on the bed and see how that feels. If that feels ok, then progress to just kneeling on both knees. Everyone's tolerance will be different just has how much swelling they are experiencing. Start on a soft, cushion surface like a bed and see your progression.
David

Hi ChrisO, try kneel on your bed and let your knee get use to the position. Getting up from the floor is really hard. I work my patients move from sitting to standing at different levels. The last level is 12inches from the ground. This works their quads and their hips. The problems is weakness in both this muscle groups. Try doing repeative sit to stands from a chair and work up to doing sit to stand on a coffee table. This also aids in walking better.
Stay with it, you are almost there.:yay:
David

I had to laugh when I read your question. I had my RTKR in May of 2011, and I STILL have trouble getting up off the ground .... think "hippopotamus." I have 2 grandkiddies and I can't sit on the floor with them to play. I think they believe I'm a REALLY old lady!
abby

David,

Thanks for the advice. I'm working on getting up from sitting on a low step stool to standing, i can do it but only once and sitting down on the stool requires hanging on to the kitchen counter as i lower my body weight down to the stool.

Given my weight I think one of the best exercises for me is the two arm push away from the table.
Lifting 100 lbs more than what my quads were designed to lift makes them seem weak when that Is not a fair assessment of the situation, Their owner has some serious weight to loose. Greater activity was one of my knee replacement goals.

Tried to kneel to help myself out of the tub this am. Hard surfaces still are painful. I won't be scrubbing the floors on my knees for some time yet to come.

ChrisO

:rotfl: Chris....I like your idea of exercise!!! I'm in the same boat....too much upper body weight!

OK here I am in all my pink pepto- bismo Hello.JPG On  strong side arm and hip.JPG Weight on arms and front foot.JPG Push off and stand up.jpg And I'm up.JPG Hello.JPG l glory. From looking at myself in the pictures I didn't it well at all in words.

Even though it looks like I'm kneeling Im not. My R knees is not touching the ground, it is sliding underneath me as I push up with my L leg and arms.

Chris O

Thanks. I found those photos helpful. I'll try it when I'm in a place where I have someone to help me if I can't get up on my own.

Hi Historian, 5 months is okay for the surgery, time is only related to how you feel. You may start by getting on all fours on the bed and see how that feels. If that feels ok, then progress to just kneeling on both knees. Everyone's tolerance will be different just has how much swelling they are experiencing. Start on a soft, cushion surface like a bed and see your progression.
David

OK, David, thanks, I'll try it.

Very interesing post. My question is everyone, why don't you kneel? Kneeling will not damage your knee. I have found it to feel weird at first, but I have gotten use to feeling. Many of my patient's goals are to kneel on Sunday at church. I have actually walked a patient across the street to a church, went in, and we practiced kneeling. Obviously, there was a great deal of anxiety we had to overcome, but she did it.
You can do this,
David

I was cleared ot kneel quite some time ago, and you are absolutely correct---it won't bother my knee; it does, however, feel really, really weird, so I just try to abstain from doing it. When I am working or close to the ground or have to lay down to get something done---say under my truck---I end up getting up by sitting, then slowly ding what many may call a "squat- thrust" in reverse and I get up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member